Schaeffer's #132 Moly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Schaeffer's #132 MOLY E.P. OIL TREATMENT comes in 1 pint bottles and calls for 1 pint in 4 to 5 quarts of oil. Does anyone have an idea what kind of moly number this would produce in a virgin dino oil sample that would normally contain no moly?

If you can wait a few days I will be able to get an exact answer, but a rough calculation shows that a full pint should raise the Moly by approx. 150 ppm.

In addition, when one uses #132, you also get the benefit of Antimony DTC.

From an actual analysis, it appears that 25 ppm
of Moly is all you get from #132.

I would have expected at least 125-150 ppm.

I am somewhat dissapointed in this number myself.

WOW! That IS dissapointing. It would take about 6 bottles (and $25) of this stuff to get to about the same ppm of moly that you'd get by just using 4-5 qts. (at $12-15) of Schaeffer's oil that already contains moly. And I don't even want to THINK about what the viscosity of the oil would be by then!
shocked.gif
That stuff is THICK! Any comments from a Schaeffer's guru?
dunno.gif

Let me point out a few things on the 132 ep additive... Like many it is designed to assist the base oil more than anything..

*Increased compression through better ring seal.
*A reduction in oil consumption.
*Elimination of sticking valves and lifters.
*Reduced blow-by.
*Increased oil pressure.
*A reduction in engine friction and wear.
*Increased power.
*Better viscosity control.
*Extreme pressure protection of the engine bearings, valve train, and pistons and piston rings.

Now in additition to increasing the base oils properties which like lucas in a way makes the oil very clingy to all parts, slows down the oil flow slightly, thickens the base oil so it can't pass by the rings as easily, and produces a better seal around the rings therfore makeing a a slightly better compression around the cyl and also producing a slightly higher film strength by reducing the flow of oil therefore it maintains better hydrodynamic flim, thus over all creating lower wear #s. The moly is a backstop when all that has been sheared out but because of the viscus nature of this product, it doesn't rely as much on the barrier additive to provide as much. That's something I noticed on the timken tests as it did take longer to produce the barrier than the oil.

"*Better viscosity control. Extreme pressure protection of the engine bearings, valve train, and pistons and piston rings."

My experience with the #132 is that the oil only increase the host oil viscosity by approx.
0.5 - 0.75 cSt.

Even though it pours thick from the bottle, it readily disperses in the host oil.

The product has a very high VI which should enhance viscosity stability.

Thanks for the clarification Bob. My only problem with this is that the name of the product is "MOLY E.P. OIL TREATMENT" (first word: MOLY)and yet moly seems to be about the least significant part of the package. Kinda like reading the side panel of the cereal box, I can tell when there's lots of sugar in there. BTW: This is one reason I'm using a Schaeffer's syn "blend". It seems that most OTC blends contain very little syn.

Patman,

Sorry, I don't think I'll post the analysis results except to state that the Antimony is about 2.5 times the Moly level, which, for my purposes, more than compensates for the low Moly level.

I will have some combo #132/M1 SS analysis here in the future.

I concur with ShootingStar in that I would have expected #132 Moly EP Oil Treatment to contain more moly. To quote more of the spec sheet:
quote:

To complement this highly specialized additive package a proven frictional modifier, Micron Moly® is further blended into Moly E.P. Oil Treatment. Micron Moly® is a liquid soluble type of moly that plates to the metal surfaces of the engine. Once plated, the moly forms a long lasting lubricant film in which prevents the metal surfaces from coming into contact with each other. By preventing metal to metal contact, damaging frictional wear is eliminated, which leads to less downtime and longer equipment life.

I'm not sure if 25 ppm of moly is enough to plate up
dunno.gif

Antimony or Sn DTC is another organometallic (film deposition) additive for higher temp, higher load protection. Another barrier additive that coats metals to prevent contact.

I liike to have ZDDP, Moly, and Antimony additives for good barrier protection in case of hydrodynamic film failure.

Guys please take time to go to Bob's home page and see how the #132 did on the Timken test. I beleive Schaeffers did not skimp on the Moly. They made theirselves a good product that like their well formulated oils,just plain works regardless of less than impressive or overkill amounts of moly on paper,although the Supreme Blend oil has a large amount of Moly compared to most.

On topic of Moly,when I see this word generically used it reminds me of when others ask me when my car pulls in somewhere pounding the ground "does that car have a cam?" Yep it does and it had a cam in the motor from the factory,all cars have cams,this ones different though and works better with my "formulation" of aftermarket go fast parts

Engineer a performance motor or Enginner/Formulate a oil or oil product. Some works better than others. The #132 is a great product for it's intended application or use and there is more to the picture than meets the eye.More than just Moly working for the #132
cool.gif

I couldn't have said it better dragboat.

Remember, the 132 is not suppose to make chicken salad out of chicken $hxx oil. If you want a good oil, start by using a good oil instead of trying to make one.

Anytime you build a building, you must always make sure the foundation is good and can support what your intended use will be, so should the oil, it must have a good foundation/or base formulation so that when building or modifying your not wasting your money.

I bought a couple pints of this stuff when I placed my Schaeffer order. I gave one to a buddy for use in his bike (Kawasaki 1100). I was concerned that the automotive oils he was using had insufficient barrier additives

I think I told him that it would be best to split the pint between two oil changes to avoid any problems with wet-clutches getting "over lubricated" and slipping.
smile.gif

It probably doesn't take much to augment the oil so that the gearbox (which shares a sump with the engine) will be properly protected by a decent quality, emissions-friendly oil.

This guy is into very short oil drain intervals, which helps a great deal.

I have no idea what I'm doing with the other pint. It's sitting on the shelf for now.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

This thread was started asking how much Moly was in the #132 MOLY EP Treatment.

Analysis showed about 25 ppm.

I don't think anybody said that the #132 is a bad product, just that the Moly amount in something whose name begins with Moly should be higher IMHO.

ChrisA,

I agree with your basic premise and I am not trying to defend the product, but higher than what?

Consider: Suppose you were a blender and had blended oils showing 170 ppm of moly: would you want to sell an additive in which you could potentially take a $0.75/qt. Group I base oil and put in enough Moly to compete with your blended oils????
nono.gif

The reason for my original question... I'm using Schaeffer's blends, #703 in my car and #700 in the diesel sailboat engine, and am so far very happy with both. I'd like to use #702 (straight 40 wt.) in my little 2 cyl Kohler/Yanmar genset (2.1 quarts w/filter), but the smallest container it comes in is 5 gal pails. Since our boat spends it's whole life between Florida and the Caribbean, the recommended 40 wt. is perfect for this genset, but we live aboard full time and storing 5 gal pails of oil on a 42' sailboat is a pain in the a$$. Although it's not my 1st choice, I had though I'd maybe take a good diesel oil such as Delvac or Delo (1 gal jugs), and fortify it with a shot of Schaeffer's #132 Moly. I'm thinking now I may just buy the 5 gal pails and transfer it to some of my CLEAN & empty 1 gal jugs, so I can store it in the shower with me, and under my pillow, and on the shelf in the galley right next to the corn flakes, .
grin.gif
Just gotta be CAREFUL. Schaeffer's is good stuff, but I don't think I want it on my cereal for breakfast!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back