Schaeffers 0w-20 3.2k miles / Honda 1.5l DI turbo 69k miles

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
Well I finally after 4-5 months and a few oil changes got some UOA results in. From Blackstone Labs. I also have some Amsoil company UOA kits I will be using for this same car. Just trying to establish a base line and compare the two labs. I also requested the TBN on this first one, Will do that on a few. This is on my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Di 1.5 turbo engine. Using Shaeffer 9000 0w20 oil for right about 3200 miles.
CATHYS ACCORD-220122 (2)1024_1_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Well I finally after 4-5 months and a few oil changes got some UOA results in. From Blackstone Labs. I also have some Amsoil company UOA kits I will be using for this same car. Just trying to establish a base line and compare the two labs. I also requested the TBN on this first one, Will do that on a few. This is on my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Di 1.5 turbo engine. Using Shaeffer 9000 0w20 oil for right about 3200 miles. View attachment 91258

Your using one of the best - Schaeffer 👍

Great report!

No thoughts on the oil, but gotta shout out on your user name. Had a girlfriend in high school who drove a Laguna S3 with the swiveling Strato bucket seats. You'd throw it in Park, open the door, and swivel the bucket seats 90 degrees to face out. I thought it was the coolest option ever offered on a car.

No thoughts on the oil, but gotta shout out on your user name. Had a girlfriend in high school who drove a Laguna S3 with the swiveling Strato bucket seats. You'd throw it in Park, open the door, and swivel the bucket seats 90 degrees to face out. I thought it was the coolest option ever offered on a car.
I have owned (3) of those among other Chevelles / Malibus / Monte Carlos and even a 72 Cutlass in there. Had collector cars from1976 thru 2019. Two were stolen and finally sold last one in 2019. It was a 100% totally restored 1976 pictured below. You can tell I liked to wax them.
My last car show - SuperChevy 2009. I had a blow out of the right front that tore the front clip up and mashed up the fender by the time I got stopped and pulled off interstate. Quite a scary ride. The car was in a GMC dealership body shop for 6 months. A friend I have known since the late 70s who worked there when I bought the first one did the reapair and painting for me. I had to search for a few months to find and purchase an OEM fender , set of wheel well modings (guys who have them will only sell in sets now) and some other parts and emblems for the front nose and fender. There was a ray of sunshine. I have had JC Taylor classic car insure my cars and classic trucks for years. The policy was a 100% zero deductible. The repairs cost over $5800 to $6000 when it was all finally made like new. The car had a 400 sbc with 4bbl and dual exhaust. All anti pollution / smog era parts were removed so she moved pretty good. The Lord was with me that day. I drove the car flat out over 70 to 80 mph that morning on way to the show. Glad I was only doing 55 to 60 when that tire exploded. I miss all my cars but just cant handle them anymore at my age with a host of health issues that prevent me from working on and enjoying them. This one sat in garage unmoved for almost 9 years by the time I accepted it was time to let go. The new owner is happy as can be.
3417130-900-0.jpg

Last edited:
I love Schaeffer's and I understand why you are doing short changes on that car but that is an awful expensive oil to be short changing.
Oh I don't plan to continue. The Shaeffer's was bought before I learned of the oil dilution issues. I am going to use it till I run out.
I don't plan to do extended changes on this car like I do on non Di engines. I will end up using Walmart shelf oils once I run out of the
Shaeffers.

Oh I don't plan to continue. The Shaeffer's was bought before I learned of the oil dilution issues. I am going to use it till I run out.
I don't plan to do extended changes on this car like I do on non Di engines. I will end up using Walmart shelf oils once I run out of the
Shaeffers.

It didn't look bad for a TGDI (all.you could point to was a little fuel) and I think I would be willing to give it a 5000 mi run.

Last edited:
Well it didn't really look bad for a TGDI and I think I would be eilling to give it a 5000 mi run.
I am tempted to bump up a bit but not a mile past 5000 if that far and will watch it close with uoa for a while.
Once out of the expensive long mile stuff I plan to use M1 and maybe Valvoline. Even have real good reports
from some fellows using Castrol Edge in their Di cars.

I am tempted to bump up a bit but not a mile past 5000 if that far and will watch it close with uoa for a while.
Once out of the expensive long mile stuff I plan to use M1 and maybe Valvoline. Even have real good reports
from some fellows using Castrol Edge in their Di cars.

The Castrol VII seems to hold up better to shearing when exposed to fuel. It doesn't really have to be the expensive stuff. The Magnatec (Renamed GTX Full Synthetic) seemed to hold up really well too.

I think some early Monte Carlo cars and even the Olds 442s in the mid 70s had those cool seat options. One of my favorite body style from that era is the super rare today Olds 442s. The 1976 & 1977 are very sporty looking and the ones they made the least amount of. GM said at that time the Olds Cutlass were selling so fast and well they would not even let Hurst have his usual allotment for the Hurst Olds 442s that he usually put out each year.
4754871848_536e31dd0b_o.jpg

Shaeffers.
1.3% fuel dilutioin seems like quite a bit for only 3200 miles. Surprized the KV100 wasn't lower than 7.56 cSt.

1.3% fuel dilutioin seems like quite a bit for only 3200 miles. Surprized the KV100 wasn't lower than 7.56 cSt.
That is exactly what made me test when I did. Its almost like it is not there in warm weather. We had a cold spell below freezing got weeks and that is when I thought I was seeing evidence of fuel when checking oil even though no raise in level. Plan to do the same run and test now that its warm here again and see what I get. I will not be doing extended oci on this car for sure.

I think some early Monte Carlo cars and even the Olds 442s in the mid 70s had those cool seat options. One of my favorite body style from that era is the super rare today Olds 442s. The 1976 & 1977 are very sporty looking and the ones they made the least amount of. GM said at that time the Olds Cutlass were selling so fast and well they would not even let Hurst have his usual allotment for the Hurst Olds 442s that he usually put out each year. View attachment 91268

I had a friend in high-school that had a 1976 442. His was metallic red with white interior.

Last edited:
Well I finally after 4-5 months and a few oil changes got some UOA results in. From Blackstone Labs. I also have some Amsoil company UOA kits I will be using for this same car. Just trying to establish a base line and compare the two labs. I also requested the TBN on this first one, Will do that on a few. This is on my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Di 1.5 turbo engine. Using Shaeffer 9000 0w20 oil for right about 3200 miles. View attachment 91258
That 1.3% figure won't be accurate because fuel is inferred in a Blackstone report, so it's higher. How much higher? don't know, but you'd find out if the oil was sent to a lab that uses GC.

That 1.3% figure won't be accurate because fuel is inferred in a Blackstone report, so it's higher. How much higher? don't know, but you'd find out if the oil was sent to a lab that uses GC.
You mean that Blackstone typically over estimates fuel dilution? Can you please post labs that get it accurate so I can send mine there. Thx

You mean that Blackstone typically over estimates fuel dilution? Can you please post labs that get it accurate so I can send mine there. Thx
Under estimates. Grossly. Polaris does GC IIRC, so does Oil Analyzers, whose test kits you can get from the AMSOIL website. I'm sure there are others. Toromont CAT up here in the GWN used to, but they don't anymore.

^^^ Has anyone sent the same UOA sample to 2 or 3 labs to compare all the same measured parameters for a cross check of any gross differences?

Last edited:
Back