Schaeffer Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Schaeffer Supreme (701 & 703) list the 100C viscosity as a range from 10 to 12? All other data sheets I've seen show a single number for this viscosity. Am I getting a 5W30 or 10W30 Schaeffer oil as thin as Mobil 1 (10 vis @100C) or as thick as Penn High Mileage (12 vis @100C) ???

I'm curious as to why they do that also, since every batch of Schaeffer Oil I've gotten has been closer to 10cst. I'd probably still be using their 5w30 in my Firebird if I had gotten a batch that was 12cst, as I feel this is the viscosity I truly need for my looser clearance LT1. I believe 10cst is too thin for this engine, especially with the high oil temps I see, and 90k on the motor.

This oil will work out perfectly in a Honda Civic though, so it will be going into my sister's car next interval (when she sells it to my mom) and it will most likely go into my wife's Honda when I'm finished testing Royal Purple.

[ August 24, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Yes, that would work out very well in an LT1, at least in the summer. For me I want to use the same oil all year long though, so this one would be not quite so good in the extreme cold of winter here, with it's borderline pumping temp of -25C (it got that cold a few times last year here). I need a full synthetic (or at least a blend) for our winters here.

I wonder why Schaeffer doesn't offer this 10w40 in blend form?

I'm curious as to why it's HTHS is only 3.46 though? How is that possible when their much thinner 10w30 is supposedly 3.5??

[ August 25, 2003, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

All the batches are different. They just keep it within 10-12. The spec listed on other spec sheets are and average. So if Pennzoil HM is at 12, this is an average of a few samples taken. I got this info from a guy who works at a refinery. So he said you can't go by the spec sheets. They mean very little as far as vis.

Interesting.....The same guys that are promoting light weights are worring about an SAE xxW30 being too thin.
If its a 10.5 cSt then its too thin, too close to a 20.
If its a 12.6, its too thick because it is now a 40 and a 40 is too thick.
Let me guess.
Yes I have it!
You want an oil that is not too thin and not too thick.
11.725 cSt @100C.
No, 11.615
Ahhh just right.
We are going to have to put a lable on that.
Here is a hint....
Hey!! who sat in my chair, slept in my bed and ate my oatmeal????
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
All the batches are different. They just keep it within 10-12. The spec listed on other spec sheets are and average. So if Pennzoil HM is at 12, this is an average of a few samples taken. I got this info from a guy who works at a refinery. So he said you can't go by the spec sheets. They mean very little as far as vis.

Schaeffer is an ISO9002 certified company ("Quality Assurance Model made up of Quality System Requirements"), so their quality control is tigher than many other companies. Every batch of Schaeffer product is checked by the quality control chemist. No, I don't know why they list the viscosity as a range.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
---snip---
as I feel this is the viscosity I truly need for my looser clearance LT1. I believe 10cst is too thin for this engine, especially with the high oil temps I see, and 90k on the motor.

---snip---

What about thinning it out a little with their fuel additive or something else?

I thicken my 30W to about a 40W and if I go over too much, I'll thin it out. Usually I can get close by eyeballing it.

quote:

What about thinning it out a little with their fuel additive or something else?

Not a good idea.

Select the oil for the operation.

Schaeffer's lists the viscosities in terms of their QC range. So on average, the #703 for example is still within 30 weight SAE limits. I think they're just being honest.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:

Schaeffer is an ISO9002 certified company ("Quality Assurance Model made up of Quality System Requirements"), so their quality control is tigher than many other companies. Every batch of Schaeffer product is checked by the quality control chemist. No, I don't know why they list the viscosity as a range.

Ken

Ken,
ISO9002 is a quality assurance system.

They are not a performance test of a product, but an evaluation of the systems used to produce a product.

So if a company says that they will follow process x, y, and z, they must have a system of documentation to prove that they do x, y, and z.

If they say that they will carry out a particular test, then they must have a documentation system describing the test, and providing proof that every batch or whatever is tested to that.

So if the Schaeffers Q.A. system states that the viscoscity is between 10 and 12, they must be able to provide proof that it always does. They COULD say 11.25473, but would therefore have to prove that it always is that number.

Q.A. doesn't describe the performance of a product, but the performance of a company in providing a stated level of service.

Bob, is there any plan for selling Shaeffers stuff downunder ?

I'm checkin on the overseas thing currently. I've found that they do have some going different countries but trying to find out details is like pulling teeth with them. I'll include that question with the other I'm currently working on.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
Why does Schaeffer Supreme (701 & 703) list the 100C viscosity as a range from 10 to 12? All other data sheets I've seen show a single number for this viscosity. Am I getting a 5W30 or 10W30 Schaeffer oil as thin as Mobil 1 (10 vis @100C) or as thick as Penn High Mileage (12 vis @100C) ???

some data of liqui moly 10W40(Germany)

Viscosity at 40 °C : 92.0 mm²/s Viscosity at 100 °C : 12.5-16.3 mm²/s
Viscosity index : 155
Flash point : 220 °C
Pour point : -35 °C
Total base number TBN : 7.9-9.6 mg KOH/g

Look the TBN too..

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
--snip--
Select the oil for the operation.

--snip
Agreed
BUT
Theres always a BUT
say that is not possible or say
that the "W" is not made or whatever...

If you want it thicker you thicken it and if you want it thinner likewise.

Use a quality VI that works with the oil,
(usually the MFG will have an idea if say 10%= about an increase by 10)\

or then also you could
Use a quality product that would thin it kust enough...

I can tell real close by looking. Naturally if you have no Idea, the just add a little and then run a few hundred or thousand miles and sample...
I usually do just because

I don't like mixing oils that don't belong with one another, and it is better not to add anything to the oil - agreed - things are not perfect, but there are some VI's that will work, and some fuel/engine cleaners, that you can put say 1-2 ounces in and they do thin it out.

Userfriendly,

"Molakule;

My post was sarcasim at its finest. You catch most of my puns, but you have missed a few. "

I love sarcasm (can't you tell).

Sorry about that, but a have a great Labor Day Weekend.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back