Schaeffer Pioneered U.S. Lubes Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been many that ask who is Schaeffers. Since This site is primarily supported by independant Schaeffers rep's, I thought maybe this would help fill in the blanks. As for other oil companies background and histories (such as amsoils) please don't post on here as they do have their own websites.

Schaeffer Pioneered U.S. Lubes Business

By Peter S. Adam

In 1839 Nicholas Schaeffer founded Schaeffer Manufacturing Co., which has manufactured lubricants in America longer than any other company.

As a young man, Schaeffer traveled from Germany to America, first to Baltimore, then to St. Louis, where the company he founded there still is located.

Lubricants were not Schaeffer's primary line of business at first. Production of axle grease grew out of soap and candle making. But by the mid-1800s, the wagons wheels of many travelers to the California gold fields were greased with Schaeffer's product. Eventually, the company became a full-fledged lubricant manufacturer and marketer.

Born in 1814 in Germany, where he worked for a soap and candle maker, Schaeffer emigrated to America with his mother and three brothers. They arrived in Baltimore in 1832 and headed westward. Not far into their journey, their horse was stolen and he and his brothers had to cross the Allegheny Mountains on foot. He settled for a few years in Cincinnati doing various jobs, then moved on to St. Louis, where in 1839 he established his business.

St. Louis was founded just 75 years earlier, in 1764. By the mid 19th Century, it had become an important Mississippi River port. Steamboats brought goods here from all over the world. They hauled mid-America's agricultural bounty from here to far-away markets, sailing to and from Pittsburgh and other river ports, connecting with ocean-going trade at places like New Orleans. Steam engines and steam cylinders demanded lubricants.

In 1849, a big fire destroyed 33 river craft and 430 buildings in St. Louis. Within a year steam boating recovered, going on to pass the tonnage handled at every American port except New York. By 1860, St. Louis was the nation's eighth largest city and an arising market for lubricants.

Food processing became a big industry here. Brewing and distilling became important, followed by soap and candle making, estimated at about $1.59-million a year at the time. Development of heavy industry came next. By 1870, St. Louis had surpassed all American communities, except New York and Philadelphia, in the number and value of its manufacturing plants. Industrial lubricant demand rose rapidly.

Nicholas Schaeffer saw the opportunity St. Louis offered. He became its first millionaire. One of his contemporaries in the city was Eberhard Anheuser, founder of the Anheuser-Busch brewing empire.

Some old handwritten ledgers from the mid-1800s show that two young soap brokers in Cincinnati named Procter and Gamble were Schaeffer soap customers, as was a gentleman from Kansas City by the name of Peet of Colgate, Palmolive, Peet fame.

Schaeffer was a business leader and civic leader. He served on the board that drew up the original plans for the St. Louis Cathedral and was an esteemed member and director of the Merchants Exchange. Despite his wealth, he lived very simply and was literally generous to a fault.

Merchants of St. Louis faced bad economic times as well as good. During the economic panic of 1875, Schaeffer, who had generously co-signed notes for his German friends whose mortgages collapsed, was financially ruined.

However, he held on to Schaeffer Manufacturing, as did his sons later-on. Oldest son Jacob became president in 1880, upon Nicholas' death. The company that Nicholas started became the largest soap and candle maker west of the Mississippi. Boss was the company brand name adopted for its laundry bar soaps and Star for its candles.

-
Shown with a portrait of company founder Nicholas Schaeffer are (left to right) Tom Schaeffer Herrmann, president and chief operating officer, Jackie Schaeffer Herrmann, vice chairman and treasurer, and John Schaeffer Shields, chairman of the board and chief executive officer.

Schaeffer Manufacturing closed down its soap and candle making operation in 1950 to concentrate on lubricant manufacturing. Schaeffer's original line of lubricants was a by-product of animal fats, sold under the trade name Red Engine Oil. It was used by steamboats that plied the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio rivers. Schaeffer also made grease, called Black Beauty, that lubricated the wheels of buggies and wagon trains rolling west.

Schaeffer is 160 Years Old

Stories are told of how miners in Alaska in the 1850s used Black Beauty grease on their faces to protect themselves from wintry weather where temperatures reached down to 60 below zero. Because the grease was made of animal fats, it was said that miners even used it to fry their eggs making Black Beauty one of the earliest multi-purpose greases. After 1859, the company turned to petroleum as the base of its lubricating products which improved its performance in transport and industrial applications but precluded its use in food preparation.

Pioneer lubricant marketers faced some unusual challenges. "We have an old salesman journal, now called a call report, circa 1870," says John Schaeffer Shields, who is chairman of the board of Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. "He had written: Can't make calls today. Bridge is out due to high water and town is closed down today due to a hanging."

When Jacob died in 1917, William Shields, who was married to Jacob's only daughter, Marie, became president. William remained president until his oldest son, Tom, succeeded him. World War I, the Roaring '20s, the Great Depression and World War II impacted the St. Louis area much as they did other parts of America. "During the depression year, it was very, very slow and we were just holding on," says John Shields, who credits his brother Tom Shields with breathing new life into the company. "The business had a rebirth in 1947, when my brother Tom came back from the war and instituted new products," recalls John. Tom was a glider pilot during World War II. "We went aggressively into direct selling," he remembers. According to John, Tom also initiated grease products that contained "moly" (molybdenum disulfide). Another brother, Gwynne Shields, was in charge of production. Mike Ryterski was master grease maker.

Impressive Sales Force

When Gwynne died, Ryterski became vice president of production. John Shields became actively involved with the company after Tom's death in 1982.

The company has 10 warehouse facilities throughout the country, and 15 division sales managers supervising over 300 salesmen. Schaeffer lubricants are strong in California, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina and South Carolina. Most of its lubricants - 58 percent - go to heavy farm equipment, followed by industrial equipment, mining and commercial trucks.

Advises current chairman John Schaeffer Shields: "Don't let our 162 years fool you. We are a very progressive company. Among our other products, we have a line of semi-synthetic oils that give our customers the benefits of a synthetic at a price just slightly above conventional petroleum based products. We provide soy-based fuel additives, oil analysis, in-house seminars, and we don't just sell products, but go in partnership with our customers to provide TPM (Total Preventive Maintenance)."

Your post give the impression that Schaeffer's does not have a website. I was just posting to let everyone know there is a website that can be perused.

The idea behind this post was nothing more than a little history on Schaeffers as they are not that publicized and many never heard of them so I thought this would be a good way to enlighten people from whence they came and not push their website.

Everything that schaeffers has on their web site that is of any value is already either posted or link from here. I don't link or publicate their site address because they in turn do not link mine and I'm not paying to help them sell from their site. Sorry but it sounds like I'm greedy again but it's just business. Their support on the internet and site is very weak and I'm not impressed with their site. I have not seen many people actually get answers via email from them so I try not to encourage using internet features with them.

This is in my opinion the biggest downfall they have, marketing though media sources such as the internet.

I don't think you are being greedy.

It sounds like you have recognized a need and filled it.

I'm glad that you have set up this forum. Without it I would never have given Schaeffer's a second thought. Now I am of the opinion that Schaeffer's is quite possibly the best oil available, and if I bought oil that I can't buy OTC, it would be Schaeffer's, as I don't feel that any of the others is worth the hassle and the price.

Thanks Bob for the information. Quality company and quality product. And I might add some darn nice sales folks to.
cheers.gif

[ July 20, 2002, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

I hope that through this site, Schaeffers might become popular enough that it becomes much easier to find, and perhaps expands it's advertising a lot more too. It may never reach a point where it is sold in every store, but at least if a few speed shops started carrying it, then it would be more convenient to just run out and grab 5 quarts whenever you need it.

Patman,

We do setup retail distributors such as speed shops/ m/c shops, garages, and anyone we find one that is interested in carrying it. It is very easy for them to do this and doesn't require any special terms agreements or special fees of any kind. So if you run into a shop that you think they want to carry it, just let me know. Fact is, I have a few individuals, like yourself, that buys that way and then resales it to others. Now there's an idea! All you have to do is buy 250.00 worth in product and you get it at wholesale+free shipping(in the US) then you can re-sell it to friends/ neighbors, or just use it which ever you like. That's it. no applications, fees or any other small print.

I was just going to ask something similar. Why isn't it sold in retail stores? It's been around longer then the other brands that are sold in retail stores. Why doesn't Pepboys, Autozone, etc carry them?

I checked on that when I first started selling.. very easy answer why the big boys don't stock it.

WE DON'T ADVERTISE ON INFORMERCIALS BLOWING SMOKE UP PEOPLES SKIRTS on tv, therefore they'd have to push the product. Every product on the shelf has or had tv ad's at one time or another.

I cannot blame them as they are in business and it goes to show that market share is reflective to advertising and not quality.

Advertising is very powerfull indeed. But they could make "honest" ads. Nothign wrong with that. Just something to let people know that it's out there. Would that raise costs too much?

In business, you have to put your money into where it will get the most return.

For example, I, and 4 other reps I personally know, have put various ad's out. Interesting thing, in discussing our return, not one of us even broke even off any ad's that we campained.

Reason? You have to have deep pockets and consider it a loss leader type of campain. Like longdistant phone services, oil is something every consumer already uses and already(supposedly) knows about and has no need for such a service. Therefore if your ad has no gimmick, then why would they even consider buying it. The public is looking for the magic bullet when any product is advertised. Only people who may have lost touch with a previous rep might pick up the phone and call but people have to be educated and like my videos, a lot of people think it's smoke and mirrors so to be honest and say this is plating up and protects better than others but of course you cannot run your engine with out oil will not get many calls as they just seen zmax or whatever showing their engine running with no oil. See where I'm going with this, consumers are sometimes very stupid when tv commercials are involved.

Yup, most of general public is very uneducated as far as the techincal side of things is concerned. It doesn't help that most are also stubborn. I can't wait for my Shaeffers oil to arrive so I can do some analysis on it and show it to my local car club. It's hard to argue without proof.

I am hoping that I can convince a few of the guys in my f-body car club to start using Schaeffers, then I can buy a large order of it all the time, save tons of money, and turn them onto a great oil all at the same time.

Ask Johnny as to if the farmers go gaga over it.

They do advertise the soyshield fuel additive in the farm mag's but other than that, they don't.

There is a lot of Schaeffer's used on the farms in Wisconsin and the ones that use it are a loyal bunch. I don't know if the word GAGA is the correct word to use though. I did have a potato farmer tell me three years ago that he was not going to stop using his Schaeffer's products, and if I did not get off his property he was going to turn his dogs loose on me.

I do agree that Schaeffer's should do more advertising in local farming journals. But I will tell you, I know three of the Schaeffer's reps in Wisconsin, and one of them is a personal friend. All are quality reps and they have done their homework. While I am out calling on lube centers, car dealers, and repair shops, they are selling 85% of the farmers Schaeffer's. In Wisconsin, Shell is number one in trucking, Mobil is number one in industrial, Pennzoil is number one in passenger car oil, and Schaeffer's is number one with the farmers. If you go to Milwaukee they don't know what Schaeffer's is, but if you go to Plainfield, it's number one.

Speaking of advertising, I have never seen Schaeffer's advertised in Farm Magazines.

Since Schaeffer's products appear a good value for farmers, I would think the farming community would go GAGA over it if it had more exposure.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
Bob,
Why don't you put a banner at the top of the forum linking to the ordering info for the reps supporting this site?

That's an excellent idea! I'm getting a lot of people asking me where to buy Schaeffers lately too, so a lot of the reps on that link will see more business from the f-body crowd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back