Schaeffer oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, can you please shed some light on the differences on 3 of Schaeffer's products?
bowdown.gif

1. #100 Micron Moly Motoroil
2. #156 MolyPure synthetic
3. "701 Supreme 700

Namely, are the moly amounts the same in each?
dunno.gif

I am getting more and more interested in the importance of moly in motor oil....especially that I now hear certain manufacturers are coating their engines with it and that Mobil 1 has changed it's formulation to include moly as well. Two clear admitions as to molys importance. Also, is the MolyPure synthetic available in cases yet? 30 gallons is an awfull lot as a minimum purchase!
shocked.gif

Thanks for a great site!

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

I'd like to know myself bc I might consider Schaeffers down the road. I don't think it was concluded that Mobil uses Moly in all Viscosities was it?

[ December 02, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'd like to know myself bc I might consider Schaeffers down the road. I don't think it was concluded that Mobil uses Moly in all Viscosities was it?

Where has it been conclusively shown that Mobil is using moly in any Mobil 1? I must have missed that.
dunno.gif

From what I've read here in this forum, it is one of the things that changed Mobil 1 tri synthetic to Mobil 1 SS. I believe I read it contains about 80 ppm of moly as opposed to Schaeffers 7000 which I read was around 170 ppm.
smile.gif

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

I read where there was 80ppm too. Do a search on Moly. I think Patman knows the answer to this.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Where has it been conclusively shown that Mobil is using moly in any Mobil 1? I must have missed that.
dunno.gif

Just take a trip to the analyis section and you will see Mo used in the entire Supersyn lineup

quote:

Originally posted by MaverickSF:
From what I've read here in this forum, it is one of the things that changed Mobil 1 tri synthetic to Mobil 1 SS. I believe I read it contains about 80 ppm of moly as opposed to Schaeffers 7000 which I read was around 170 ppm.

The MSDS for Mobil 1 doesn't list any moly--or at least none of the additives I see there appear to be moly.

The biggest change from Tri-Syn to SuperSyn was the addition of Mobil's proprietary SuperSyn PAO. See the ExxonMobil PAO page.

Did you go to the analysis section? It is listed in the oil analysis reports:

"
posted November 07, 2002 05:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are my third lab results.
Lab: BlackStone
Car: 2000 ITR 42,750 miles.
Oil: Mobil1 SuperSyn 10w30. 3,300 miles of hard driving
##The numbers in sequence are:
##Newest Sample of Mobil1 SuperSyn 10w30
##Mobil1 SuperSyn 5W30
##Mobil1 TriSynthetic 5W30
##Universal Averages

Aluminum(Pistons, bearings, cases)-- 4, 4, 4, (7)
chromium(Rings)-- 1, 1, 1, (1)
iron(Cylinders, rotating shafts, valve train)-- 7, 8, 7, (13)
copper(brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil collers, oil additive)-- 5, 6, 9, (14)
lead(bearings)-- 15, 13, 11, (3)
tin(bearings, piston coatings)-- 1, 2, 1, (0)
molybdenum(anti-wear additive, some types of rings)-- 65, 69, 66, (110)
nickel(element of steel)-- 0, 0, 0, (0)
manganese(additive in gas)-- 0, 0, 0, (1)
silver(trace element)-- 0, 0, 0, (0)
titanium(trace element)-- 0, 0, 0, (0)
potassium(antifreeze "

[ December 02, 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

On the original question, I'm pretty sure that all three oils listed there are identical in terms of their moly content (around 170ppm) and additive package, their differences lie in the base oil.

Micron Moly uses a petroleum base oil
Supreme 7000 is a blend of 30% PAO and 70% group 2+ base oil
MolyPure is a full synthetic PAO base oil (with a bit of esters I'm sure)

What about the #132 Moly E.P. Oil Treatment?

How much moly there? Would you advise adding it to the 7000 series or the pure synthetic to raise the moly ppm even higher?
dunno.gif

As you can tell......I'm on a "moly binge"
lol.gif

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MaverickSF:
What about the #132 Moly E.P. Oil Treatment?

How much moly there? Would you advise adding it to the 7000 series or the pure synthetic to raise the moly ppm even higher?
dunno.gif

As you can tell......I'm on a "moly binge"
lol.gif

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

He He if it could be done Patman would have already had it in there!
There is a abundant amount of Mo in the formulation. All the 132 will do for the Schaeffers oil is thicken it up.

I have reason to believe using the 132 in the Mobil SS oil and other oils will cause it to loose TBN early. I will ask the owner of the vehicle it was used in about his thoughts or if the TBN loss was from another product.
So don't carve it in stone the 132 does this just yet! Even other shelve additives could do this.I will post what I find

Maverick,

The series 7000 already has 170 ppm of moly in it. I wouldn't add anything to it.

The #132 is good for oils in which you need to raise the moly and antimony levels. It will also increase the viscosity slightly.

See my posting in Oil Analysis in which I used M1 10W30 SS with 250 mL of #132 moly. Almost zero wear.

The carrier in #132 is also an excellent corrosion inhibitor, a lubricant, and a dispersant. It should help maintain tbn and reduce oxidation as well.

[ December 03, 2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

In the analysis you stated:

smile.gif
"I don't forsee any cold temp pumpability problems. While the carrier in #132 is a thick surfactant, it mixes readily with the host oil and disperses well. I think if you stick to a treatment rate of 50 mL (1.5 oz) per quart, you will not see the viscosity rise more than about 1.5 cSt at 100 C.

I will be taking a trip to Des Moine Ia. in two weeks and will report cold temperature starting results. "
smile.gif

How cold were the temps and what did you notice? Since I just put Mobil 1 in, I am interested in raising the moly levels particularly to help with some piston slap on a Honda engine.

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

The weather in both Des Moine and here dropped to the 15-18 F degree mark and the engines started as if it were 65 F.

I see no problems with using #132 at 250 mL (1/2 pint) per jug of Mobil 1.

Thanks, Molecule.....I will be ordering the #132 tomorrow along with the #131.....I will post on any effectiveness toward the piston slap.......boy I can not stand that noise!

patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Maverick: I think you will be pleased with the 132. It seems to work well with oils like M1. I used 12oz in 5.5qt of Amsoil XL7500 which has about the same viscosity as M1. Posted an analysis just after it was added to measure the increase in viscosity.

I'm due for an oil change anyday now.

Coming out will be Schaeffer Supreme 7000 10W30.

Going in will be Schaeffer 7000 5W30 ... and a pint of #132 Moly E.P.

Now, the question is, can I restrain myself and let the new oil go untested when I drain it this spring??
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back