Schaeffer 9001 5W30, 2006 Avalon, 9384 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm typing this in exactly as I received it including comments.

Make/Model:Toyota 3.5L(2GR-FE)
OilType&Grade:Schaeffer 9000 5W30
Fuel Type: Gasoline
Oil Use & Interval 9384 Miles

John: Wear increased just a bit in this sample, though that's not surprising given the longer oil change interval you used this time. The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 5400 Miles on the oil. Your wear is still around those averages, so we don't think you've got any mechanical problems developing in your Avalon. No moisture of fuel was present in this sample, and the air and oil filters are working well(Note:Oil filter-Purolator PureOne). You could probably add more miles to your oil change interval if you wanted. Try an even 10,000 miles next time.

Mi on oil-9384
Mi on car-43,024
Sample Date-3/9/09
Make Up Oil Added-0

Aluminum-4
Chromium-0
Iron-17
Copper-8
Lead-0
Tin-0
Molybdenum-261
Nickel-0
Manganese-1
Silver-0
Titanium-0
Potassium-2
Boron-9
Silicon-18
Sodium-15
Calcium-1841
Magnesium-12
Phosphorus-584
Zinc-693
Barium-0

SUS Viscosity@210°F - 56.0
cSt Viscosity@100°C - 9.08
Flashpoint in °F - 385
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3

I have Schaeffer's in the car now and am trying to decide whether to continue after this OCI. Comments?

John
W.TN

I see nothing wrong with this report. Does the 2006 Avalon call for 5W-30 oil? For a comparison, have you ever tried the Schaeffer's 7000 series 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I see nothing wrong with this report. Does the 2006 Avalon call for 5W-30 oil? For a comparison, have you ever tried the Schaeffer's 7000 series 5W-30?

Toyota does specify 5W30 for this engine. When I decided to use synthetic, I went with the 9000 series. It had just come out and hardly anyone had reported on it. Except for the cost, which is not too bad spread over the miles, I'm satisfied. I might do just as well with the 7000. Wish I could get Scheaffer's locally or within 50 miles so I didn't have to order it. It seems that not many on this board use Schaeffer's oil. Probably because you can't buy it at Wal-Mart.

John

Nice car. I would run 7500 or less if that's what the warranty dictates.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
TBN?

Warranty specifies 5k or six months.

I didn't want to pay for a TBN. Yes, the warranty does specify 5K but not having any problems with a '96 Avalon over 194K, I don't anticipate any in the next 18,000 mi. I will reach that in about a year. We don't drive a car hard and mix in enough highway miles that contamination shouldn't be a problem. At my age (67) I don't relish crawling under the car every 5K mi. to drain the oil. Hopefully, when this car reaches 194K, I'll still be crawling under every 9-10K to change oil.

On a related note, reading over posts from the past, M1 is mentioned several times as being good in Toyota engines. Do the experts on this board think that there would be a problem with using M1 instead of Schaeffer's. Cost is not the reason, just the convenience of going to Wal-Mart to get it. I would still like to maintain about a 10K OIC but dropping back to 7.5K would not be a big deal.
John

I am with you John as I do not beleive warranty is an issue. There should be no reason that M1 couldn't go out 7.5k in this engine.

Originally Posted By: Alamogunr

Toyota does specify 5W30 for this engine. When I decided to use synthetic, I went with the 9000 series. It had just come out and hardly anyone had reported on it. Except for the cost, which is not too bad spread over the miles, I'm satisfied. I might do just as well with the 7000. Wish I could get Scheaffer's locally or within 50 miles so I didn't have to order it. It seems that not many on this board use Schaeffer's oil. Probably because you can't buy it at Wal-Mart.

John

John,

You need to take a day trip. Drive up to St. Louis, stop by Schaeffer's and pick up a couple of cases, eat some BBQ, and go to a Cardinal game. What a great way to spend a day.

It seems that not many on this board use Schaeffer's oil. Probably because you can't buy it at Wal-Mart.

John

Sad but true! Not used as much as some of the huge companies, but Schaeffer's has a pretty loyal following. One of the more VOA'd products on the board (I may be partially responsible for that).
whistle.gif

I prefer to plan ahead, buy in quantity and get a great product at a reasonable price. I know my salesrep by name, and he knows mine. When I have questions I know who to call and get an immediate answer. Ask somebody in a blue vest at WM a basic oil question! I've called Schaeffer's directly too with chemisty type questions and get answers in minutes, instead of days like some of the Megalo-companies.

Nice looking report, is this the first run with Schaeffer's? If it is I would love to see the next one! I'd stick with it!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
TBN?

Warranty specifies 5k or six months.

I didn't want to pay for a TBN. Yes, the warranty does specify 5K but not having any problems with a '96 Avalon over 194K, I don't anticipate any in the next 18,000 mi. I will reach that in about a year. We don't drive a car hard and mix in enough highway miles that contamination shouldn't be a problem. At my age (67) I don't relish crawling under the car every 5K mi. to drain the oil. Hopefully, when this car reaches 194K, I'll still be crawling under every 9-10K to change oil.

On a related note, reading over posts from the past, M1 is mentioned several times as being good in Toyota engines. Do the experts on this board think that there would be a problem with using M1 instead of Schaeffer's. Cost is not the reason, just the convenience of going to Wal-Mart to get it. I would still like to maintain about a 10K OIC but dropping back to 7.5K would not be a big deal.
John

If you are going to get synthetic oil at Walmart, go with PP rather than M1. Its a few dollars cheaper and as good or better.

You need to take a day trip. Drive up to St. Louis, stop by Schaeffer's and pick up a couple of cases, eat some BBQ, and go to a Cardinal game. What a great way to spend a day.

Amen, brother! Amen.

John,

I'll have a UOA for Schaeffer's full syn 5w-30 posted here later this week (hopefully) on a 2005 Toyota 3.3L V6 Highlander with around 8k miles on the OCI. I'm expecting good results. And a TBN.

I'd stick with Schaeffer's. I strongly prefer it over M-1. And with 10k mile OCIs, how many times do you expect to be driving to WalMart to purchase M-1?

Schaeffer's = quality. M-1 = convenience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back