Schaeffer 7000 5W-30, 7125 miles,Toyota 3.4L 5VZFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Toyota 4Runner 3.4L V6 5VZFE, Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-30, 7125 miles

Toyota_oil_anaylsis_7.jpg

This is the latest UOA from my 2000 4Runner.

Oil was 6 quarts Schaeffer's 7000 5W-30 SM + 1 quart Mobil 1 15W-50EP SL
Oil filter was a Wix 51515

This oil was in the vehicle approximately 14 months through 2 Illinois winters. The vehicle sits much of the time in the summer and spends lots of time idling in the winter.

The 2 previous most recent UOA's shown are Mobil M1R 0W-30
The 2 before that are GC Green
The oldest is M1 5W-30 SL

There's a gap in the mileage from the previous UOA. I did an Auto-Rx treatment during that period using Havoline 5W-30 but didn't do an analysis.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the Schaeffer's. I wish it had a little more TBN so I could make it 10K miles, but it seems like 7500 would be no problem for it.

Comments welcome as always!

I was wondering why the viscosity stayed so perfect on a blend - the M1 explains it!

Looks like you found a good mix - but, question: a 3.4 Toyota V-6 takes 7 quarts of oil? It can't be THAT much - even a Corvette V-8 doesn't take that! That would partially explain why the oil did so well, the volume of oil.....any mods to the pan, etc..?

Addguy - I installed a remote filter on my truck that uses a large Ford style filter. FL1A, Wix 51515, etc. size. The engine took a bit under 6 quarts stock and now about 6 1/2 quarts will get it to the full line on the stick. But, I'm lazy and see no harm in 1/2 quart overfill.

The only reason I mixed in the M1 was because I had it around and only had 6 quarts of the Schaeffer's. It seems to have worked out OK in any case.

Steve S - The Schaeffer's does seem to be the real deal doesn't it. Pretty hard to beat especially for the $$

Last edited:
I haven't used Schaeffers oils but it seems to be about the best overall oil via Bob is the Oil Guys U.O.A.S. Then Pennzoil Syn .Considering .99 per Qt.on sale with rebates or BOGO.

I ran Schaeffers 10-30 exclusively in my 03 3.4 Tacoma for the 5 years and 60K miles that I owned it. I ran intervals of up to 7200 miles and all of my UOAs were similar to this one.

Looks like statistically your Fe went down. The other metals about the same, although it's was your shortest run and followed an AutoRx treatment.

Interesting that the TBN was so depressed, but your rig looks like it will go a million miles!

I was sort of surprised about the TBN too. Suppose the M1 in the mix hurt instead of helped? By the datasheet, the Schaeffer's only starts with a TBN of 7.5 though. So maybe where I ended up is to be expected.

We don't know what the Auto-Rx did for the engine either. The insolubles were fine but they always are so
21.gif

I have M1R back in the engine now that I'll run 10K miles. It'll be interesting to see if the next UOA with it is lower than the those previous. A couple more intervals of it is all I have left. After that I'll need to find something else and it looks like the Schaeffer's would be a great choice. I could live with 7500 mile changes since I'm driving the vehicle less than I once did.

I wish this vehicle would last a million miles. But, I live in the rust belt. Sadly, like a few other vehicles I've owned, I'll probably end up driving it to the junkyard with a board under the seat to keep from falling through...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Very nice analysis. I'm still looking for a bad Schaeffer report. I think the TBN is pretty good for going through 2 winters! Impressive for 14 months.

Thanks for posting.

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: jsharp
I was sort of surprised about the TBN too. Suppose the M1 in the mix hurt instead of helped? By the datasheet, the Schaeffer's only starts with a TBN of 7.5 though. So maybe where I ended up is to be expected.

Check the VOA section. The virgin TBN of schaeffer's 7000 comes in between 4.8 and 6.4 depending on the labs. Either way, it doesnt matter. TBN retention is what matters and these oils are fantastic with it.

how often doyou change your air filter?? btw nice readings.. i would mix the M1 and do a total schaeffers uoa.. i have an 02 taco with the same motor and i run synpower and change every 5-6kmiles...

When my wife had her 2002 4L Explorer I was running Schaeffer's 7000 5W-30 SL oil for 10,000 mile oci's. The UOA always came back good. And yes the TBN in Schaeffer's drops rapidly but then stays level. It didn't hurt the engine for the 10,000 mile oci
21.gif

Whimsey

Mikeg5 - I'm using a cheapo STP (Champion labs) air filter from Auto Zone. It looked to be almost as good to my eye as the factory Toyota filters so I went with it.

It's been in since 60K miles. I'll change it again at 120K.

Whimsey - Once I run out of M1R I'll likely get more of the Schaeffer's. I'll get enough to do a complete fill with it.

One small thing about the Schaeffer's I did notice but it's not a complaint. The engine doesn't seem to spin as fast with it at startup in below zero weather as compared to the M1R.

Given it's a blend and a 5W instead of a 0W I'm not surprised.

No mileage difference, but I really don't keep track closely anymore. Most of my driving in that vehicle is in the winter with winter tires mounted so the mileage isn't so good. Not to mention if I'm going to be out of the vehicle for 20 minutes or less in the winter, I leave it run. And if it's below 20 degrees or so I also let it warm up 10-15 minutes before I drive off in the morning.

So much for the fuel dilution and other problems that causes eh? Maybe with some engines but not with this one...
wink.gif

Agree with letting a cold motor run. We sometimes place too much emphasis on mpg.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
Mikeg5 - I'm using a cheapo STP (Champion labs) air filter from Auto Zone. It looked to be almost as good to my eye as the factory Toyota filters so I went with it.

It's been in since 60K miles. I'll change it again at 120K.

Whimsey - Once I run out of M1R I'll likely get more of the Schaeffer's. I'll get enough to do a complete fill with it.

One small thing about the Schaeffer's I did notice but it's not a complaint. The engine doesn't seem to spin as fast with it at startup in below zero weather as compared to the M1R.

Given it's a blend and a 5W instead of a 0W I'm not surprised.

you have the same air filter for 60k miles?????? j

Yes, same air filter for the last 50K miles. The factory change interval is every 30K but I checked it at 90K and it looked fine. It probably is about time for a change. Maybe it's hurting my mileage or ? but the silicon doesn't seem out of line in the UOA.

FZ1 - I don't think it's a good idea to run a very cold engine with much load at all. Lots of people disagree with this but I just don't like the idea of all the clearances being off like they must be before warm up.

Mostly though, it's to save me from sitting in a cold vehicle. I bought this thing to serve me, not the other way around...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thats good. Im seriously considering going down the street two blocks to the local distributor and acquiring a case of 7000 5/20 and a case of #204SAT for my new car. My biggest conundrum is which filter to use. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back