Schaeffer 5w-40 in VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

Greetings,

This is my first post on this site and really enjoy all I have learned. Great info..

I drive a 2001 VW TDI. Looking at using the Schaeffer 5w-40 in the car.

Looking for those who have used this oil in their VW TDI. Any oil anaylis that you can post using this in their TDI would be great.

comments?

Thanks

welcome.gif
I am sure that some are using this oil in their VW's/Audi's You may find the site search feature very useful to find a used oil analysis (UOA) with this excellent oil.

Rex,you will not have any problems or whatever running the 5w-40 9000 ,in your VW,or the 15w-40 ,happy motoring,,,,,,BL

I really wonder about the 15w-40...I think it's more like 10w-40 which isn't at all a bad thing. But I think it can probably flow/pump as well as a dino 5w. I bet they just don't want to scare the old-timers away. I'm really surprised that they came out with a 5w-40. I wonder what the "real" differences are. I need to do a freezer test of the two.

Cliffs Notes: Schaeffer's is good stuff, but I wonder how different the 15w-40 and 5w-40 are. I bet not too different.

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
I really wonder about the 15w-40...I think it's more like 10w-40 which isn't at all a bad thing. But I think it can probably flow/pump as well as a dino 5w. I bet they just don't want to scare the old-timers away. I'm really surprised that they came out with a 5w-40. I wonder what the "real" differences are. I need to do a freezer test of the two.

Cliffs Notes: Schaeffer's is good stuff, but I wonder how different the 15w-40 and 5w-40 are. I bet not too different.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/700.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by Go_Hogs_Go:

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/700.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/9000.pdf

LOL...
grin.gif
exactly...
I already knew that, but they seem so similar...same pour points...hot/cold viscosity is a "bit" different. OVERALL pretty much the same stuff. I really wonder if 15w-40 could do everything 5w-40 can...at least Schaeffer wise.

While I am not going to post all the data nor put on my flame suit by posting others results. here is a few from ind. testing done on our 700 and our 9000. 700 listed 1st
cold-cranking visc -20 5460 2565
cc visc -25 unavail 3978
mrvtp-1 astm-4684 17,500 16,200
hths d-4683 4.4 4.57
orbahn ah to hard to post bout the same

We also test using cat 1ptest,mt-11,gm roler follower test,cummins m11 egr crosshead wear test.

Also a note as well the 9000 meets the pc-10 base oil of Hope this helps seperate a little bit.

Schaeffer's #700 15W-40 synthetic blend oil tests more like an 8W-40, if there was such a thing, which there isn't. It is labeled as a 15W-40 likely because that's what sells.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Schaeffer's #700 15W-40 synthetic blend oil tests more like an 8W-40, if there was such a thing, which there isn't. It is labeled as a 15W-40 likely because that's what sells.

Ken

EXACTLY, that is what I had belived originally, then researched it, then came to the same conclusion. Knowing most people, if they did sell an 8-40w, then the 5w-40 wouldn't buy it because it's not "5w" and the 15w-40 wouldn't buy it cause it's not "15w".

Good Stuff still. I have it in a Saturn, a Mitsubishi, a Honda, and a Dodge truck. LOL. Luckily for me, one size does fit all!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

Ken

So basically, it should be properly labled as 10w-40.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
schaeffers 9000 is a blend also...got schaeffers tech to finally admit it...group 3 is a legal way of saying synthetic. its also very cheap to make..

it's cheaper then PAO to make, but it is not cheap in comparison to lesser groups. It ALSO is priced accordingly. Thus is the reason you can get it for lower cost than Mobil D1, Amsoil, & Redline.

Hammer

Though the group three in schaeffers is not just the run of the mill so to speak of bases,and is a fact,but refined of a select grade of crude stock,in a process ,not to common,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BL

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
it is cheaper to make a synthetic oil the way schaeffers is making it compared to the way redline and other TRUE synthetics are made

Might be. But it's priced accordingly and not like GIII Syntec. And Schaeffers doesn't scrimp on its add packs.

I really like RL, BTW. But I wouldn't drop it in a heavier diesel app like you can with this stuff. Different horses for different courses.

Everyone needs to get over what's cheap or not cheap to make. None of us (well maybe a few) have any idea what it cost to make oil.

Schaeffer's does not make oil, neither does Amsoil. Both have to purchase the base stocks they are using from someone else, so the supplier controls what the cost is.

Now Schaeffer's:

Their 700 series oils are a blend of Group II+ and PAO. Their 9000 series are a blend of Group III and PAO. So by definition alone, the 9000 is a synthetic oil. I could care less what it cost them to make it, I care how a product performs, and Schaeffer's products will perform right along side the rest of them.

Unless someone has some kind of real world proof that bad products are being made, the cost theory is going right down my tolit.

iam sure schaeffers 9000 is an excellent oil i use alot of their products but it is not what i want!!!! and i could care less what it cost to me i will pay for the very very best and in my mind schaeffers 9000 synthetic group 3/4 is not what i want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back