SCCY 9 Millimeter

This looks to be about the same size as your Sig. I think I would want a full size for plinking - easier to manage recoil. The Sig P365 is a great gun, by the way.

That would be a terrible choice for plinking. SCCY pistols are designed for concealed carry self defense. The original CPX-series have long, heavy DAO triggers. Great for a carry gun but for a plinker or range toy? No thanks.

Also, did you actually hold one in your hand? I found the 9mm SCCY pistols to be terribly uncomfortable. The grip feels like holding a pack of cigarettes or a deck of playing cards. The .380 versions are noticeably more comfortable but still not very ergonomic.

You've already got a fantastic small pistol in the P365. If you want something more pleasant to shoot at the range then you can do much better than a SCCY but you'll probably need to move up to the $300 range. Ruger Security 9, Taurus G3, etc.

$200 for a new in box sccy 9mm is a decent price these days. from my brief acquaintance the sccy seems to be an inexpensive, decent, utility sidearm for someone who really wants just one 9mm semiauto pistol to have around more than shoot alot, but doesn’t have alot of coin.

not knowing o.p.’s firearm situation it’s hard to offer meaningful advice, but if wanting a plinker i would get something chambered in 22lr and also get more mags to simply practice more with my sig. i see that o.p. is in arizona, where there should be federal land open to outdoors plinking. an inexpensive 22lr semiauto rifle would be good fun too.

a decent 22lr pistol, e.g. ruger sr22, taurus tx22 or s&w m&p compact 22, will cost $300ish. ruger 10/22, marlin 795, and the mossberg & rossi clones are some good 22lr semiauto rifle options in descending price order. even if a 22lr plinker costs well over $200 the cost of 22lr plinking ammo is much lower than 9mm.

Last edited:
My dad bought a SCCY 9mm several years ago. I’ve shot it a few times. His has a very long trigger pull with long reset. I don’t remember which version it is (safety or no safety) but it feeds and fires FMJ’s no problem. HP’s are another story. I think he just needs to try different ammo or continue shooting it as it may not be fully broken in. The few times I’ve shot it I only put maybe 2-3 mags through it. He really doesn’t use it. He picked it up as a spare truck/boat gun for $220. But I bet he hasn’t put even 300 rounds through it himself. My local gun stores have Taurus G2’s at $250. Those are good guns.

Back