scarred rim. will it still work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mom had another boo boo last night. seems she hit a curb real hard and drove home with a leaky tire. so i get the call to come over and fix it. the rim has a little scarring where the bead area is. does not go too far and i took a file and filed down the high spots. its smooth as i could make it.

Seeing that its sunday and i can't go to Discount till the morning i am not sure how they will react to this. i am hoping not to need to buy a new wheel and just a new tire.

so what do you guy think. is it bad enough to warrant a new wheel . its 2017 CRV EX wheel. Also check that donut spare. even though she has brought it to honda for tire rotation it seems checking the spare is not included. its was at 32 psi instead of the 60 psi

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Would be easier to give an opinion if the area of interest was in focus....

The inside of the lip is what needs to be smooth to seal. Will Discount do that or wait while you do it after they dismount the tire?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Would be easier to give an opinion if the area of interest was in focus....

The inside of the lip is what needs to be smooth to seal. Will Discount do that or wait while you do it after they dismount the tire?

sorry for the out of focus shot. it is smooth where it starts to curve in. seeing i have never had this issue before i am not sure what discount will say. to the poster. its got a big gash on the side of the tire so its not gonna hold air. whatever she hit she hit it pretty hard.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
.....so what do you guy think. is it bad enough to warrant a new wheel.
I'd go to an actual mechanic, not tire dealer, to ascertain the quality of your wheel. I've had a wheel with different damage, but just as harmful. My regular mechanic, who I strongly trust, said I was good to go. Later, the damaged wheel/tires I had, always balanced & functioned well & even seemed to hold air better than any undamaged rim I've had.

Update: Went to DT to see what they thought. on the scarring he said he has seen worse with no issue. thank goodness no new rim. on the tire though he said i would need to get 2 new ones as the difference between new 11/32 and the old 7/32 was a little too much and it might damage the AWD system. 2 new ones mounted balance and tax about $450.

Called mom and she asked are there other options. i told her i can try a used tire place. So i head to the mexican tire mafia area and went to a couple of places. only one had the size and after a bit of haggling got a used tire with 8/32 for $65 out the door. different brand but same rating and thanks to BITOG i can read the tire manu date and it was 2017.

So all in all it been a good day. mom is happy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back