Scarifier belt squels

I have a Texas Pro Cut 460B scarifier (I am not sure if this is a worldwide model) with a B&S X950 engine.

I have a problem with the belt for the knives squeling BOTH when when knives are deactivated and activated. The system is quite simple and may be identified from the pictures. The pulley from the engine turns all the time, but the knives are first activated with a handle applying pressure on the belt with the white wheel.

Even when the belt is completely free of the white wheel, it squels as hell from the engines pulley and belt, and heat is generated. When I drove it for quite some time yesterday, the squeling also started when the knives were activated.

Does anyone have a great idea to fix this annoying problem?

Attachments

• texas-procut-460b.jpg
    texas-procut-460b.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17
  • texas-procut-460b (1).jpg
    texas-procut-460b (1).jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210607_104059.jpg
    IMG_20210607_104059.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210607_104119.jpg
    IMG_20210607_104119.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Belt alignment, dirt/ oil/ grease on the pulleys, poor quality/ worn out belt or a binding pulley bearing are things that I would look into.

Thank you. I think that most of this relates to the squeling when the knives are activated. I am more concerned about the squeling when the knives are deactivated (i.e. no applied tension on the belt). I will check alignment, but it looks fine. Can a worn belt shrink by time? The belt is not worn due to many hours of running, but it is 10 years old

They don't shrink but they stretch. Noisy when disengaged leads me to some kind od contamination on the belt or pulleys.

They don't shrink but they stretch. Noisy when disengaged leads me to some kind od contamination on the belt or pulleys.
It is very strange. The belt definitely feels too short rather than too long. I will try to take it apart when I get the machine home from my parents' house. Maybe I can visualize contamination or other odd things.

Usually a 1/2 or 5/8 wide v-belt is used in this sort of machine. Curious they would specify that large heavy flat belt on a 5 hp engine. Also I've never seen a flat belt used as a clutch.

In any case the belt needs to be quite slack when not engaged. The way it is made is not helping since the weight of the belt pulls it down onto the engine pulley. If it is not about to fall off of the bottom pulley you could try a slightly longer belt.

Usually a 1/2 or 5/8 wide v-belt is used in this sort of machine. Curious they would specify that large heavy flat belt on a 5 hp engine. Also I've never seen a flat belt used as a clutch.

In any case the belt needs to be quite slack when not engaged. The way it is made is not helping since the weight of the belt pulls it down onto the engine pulley. If it is not about to fall off of the bottom pulley you could try a slightly longer belt.
That is exactly what I had in mind. It is easy to find longer belts, but the pulleys are made for belts with seven bands/grooves (?). It is called 7PJ710. I could try a little longer belt from a car with 3, 4 or 5 bands. The question is hos much longer the belt should be.

Back