Scared of 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After posting my question about oil for an 07 2.4 Camry, you guys scared the h?LL out of me about using thin oil! I think I will try PP 5-30 with 2 OZ. of SX-UP per quart for the first change. Only in America do we trade mileage for long lived engines!
All jokes aside we do see good 20 weight UOA's but still when the car makers always spec heavy oil in other countries it does make one question the motives?
GregH

blupupher, I think the O.P. was scared away from using a 5W-20 oil in his Camry, despite the topic title stating "5-30".

If anyone wears out an engine by using a thin oil can you please post the results here. I have seen nothing but supposition on this subject without abject proof of damage.

Run what Toyota recomends and drive in reliable bliss. That's one of the reasons to buy a Toyota so you don't have to agonize over maintenance other than what the book says to do.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
If anyone wears out an engine by using a thin oil can you please post the results here. I have seen nothing but supposition on this subject without abject proof of damage.

Run what Toyota recomends and drive in reliable bliss. That's one of the reasons to buy a Toyota so you don't have to agonize over maintenance other than what the book says to do.

Unless you get one of the Toyota "sludge-monsters".

GregH, use the manufacturer's recommendation; they are more knowledgable about the lubrication requirements of that engine than the people on this site. As Bryancc noted, all we've seen is supposition.

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:

quote:

How many years back was that?

The "conventional wisdom" with previous more shear-prone VII polymers was that conventional 10W-30's lower reliance on VII polymers to maintain the viscosity spread when compared to 5W-30 oils would result in a more reliable motor oil over the course of an oil change interval - especially in severe service situations. VIIs have improved. Base oils have improved. Addtitionally, synthetic base oils, including the Group IIIs that purists love to hate, have a naturally higher native viscosity index rating, further reducing their reliance on VIIs. Use whatcha want and don't lose any sleep over it.

I reality the difference between the two isn't as great as the numbers 20 and 30 would lead you to believe. Oil weights aren't exact numbers, but ranges. A lot of the 30 weights around are neatly in the middle of the range, but most of the 20 weights are toward the thicker end of the range. It's your car, you can run 5w50 if you want. The only real way to find out is to run a variety of different oils and have it analyzed. Search the UOA database and see what other people with camrys are using and what kind of results they're getting. Never settle for what's "accepted," research and make up your own mind.

I however will consider 20 weights when de germans start using them. Again, that's my opinion, and I have a SAAB not a Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:

quote:

Toyota managed to phase out the problem when they discovered the issue. Your statement is no more true than someone stating that all GM engines are going to have antifreez contamination.
Toyota made alot of changes including OCI's, and rolling out an entrirely new generation of engines .
In terms of advancement of technology this comparison is like judging Ford by the Pinto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back