scangauge / ultragauge warm up to closed loop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ultragauge on my 2005 Saturn Vue and have noticed that it stays in open loop for quite a while during the warm up period. Like 9+ miles of 35-55mph driving yesterday. How quickly does your vehicle go into closed loop?

I'm thinking I may have an o2 sensor not heating quickly enough, yet not bad enough to throw a code. The bank 1 #1 sensor stays at .4-.5 range until closed loop, then switches throughout the range and seems to function fine. Just seems to take a while to get there and I'm wondering what 'normal' warm up time is.

Last time I checked the one in my Elantra/2.0, it took about 15-20 seconds (in the dead of winter).

I agree that yours is getting slow.

On my old '97 Legacy, within 1 minute, even on the coldest days. My '08 STI, 15-20 seconds. My gf's 2003 Civic, less than 30 seconds.

I also have an ultragauge, how do you tell how fast it is going into closed loop?

My cars generally are in the 15-sec range. Im often closed loop by the time I crank the car and get my seatbelt buckled.

All the more reason NOT to do an extended warm-up.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I also have an ultragauge, how do you tell how fast it is going into closed loop?

Upper right of the ultragauge has a loop that is present on any gauge screen - closed loop will resemble an oval, open loop has a break in that oval. I just was watching it during my drive, along with o2 voltages, and am wondering if a lazy sensor is what's causing such a delay in going to closed loop.

Follow-up question: Would replacing that o2 sensor make a difference? I hate to throw $$ at a part if it doesn't help. It's not throwing any o2 codes, but something seems amiss.

My front O2 sensors start switching within ten seconds of start up. I can monitor the O2 sensor voltages on my Innova 3130 scan tool, under LIVE DATA.

I checked on that this morning in my Civic with my Scangauge II and it went into closed loop within about 15-20 seconds from a cold start (it was 70F this morning when I started the car)

I think a front o2 is ~$35 plus shipping from rockauto, seems worth throwing one in as I plan on keeping this a long time anyways and I'd have to replace it at some point.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My dakota goes into closed loop around 100F water temp. 105F in winter. Which is roughly 30 seconds of running time for summer and can be up to a minute during the winter.

Conclusion/follow-up:

Replaced the o2 sensor yesterday and it goes into closed loop in a few seconds or up to 20 or so on a cold start. Definitely better than the miles it took before. No o2 codes were thrown, though. I have/had an intermittent ignition code - I would be ecstatic if this by chance was cleared with the new o2 sensor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back