Scammers, what are they looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently posted an auto for sale in South Dakota Craigslist. Immediately, I start getting contacted by the scammers. Typical fake PayPal emails, "refund the difference rright away for shipping", blah, blah, blah. I know they are scammers. Vehicle is 2007 Saturn Vue with 172k miles. No one from South Carolina is seriously interested in something they can purchase by the truck load there. Is there something in my ad that would attract them or do they contact everyone hoping for a sucker?

I think they contact everyone.

I play along. I send them messages, asking all kinds of ridiculous things and telling all kinds of stories just to waste their time. I figure the more time they spend on me is less time they have to spend on people who might believe them.

I know a lot of people who use CL, but I simply can't stand the scammers. I'd rather sell my wares on forums and take a bit of a hit than deal with that.

The only two legitimate people from CL I've encountered bit on a car-for-sale ad showed up with little surprises. One was a kid who had never driven stick before, wanting to test drive my car. The second was someone who agreed on a price and immediately cut the price by 30% when he saw how much worse the wheels looked in real life (the pictures I posted were close-ups and exaggerated the damage, and were taken with tons of brake dust on the wheels - they had since been cleaned, as well as the tires dressed.)

I've thought about selling a fridge I need to get rid of on there, but I'm wary that it'll do nothing but fill my inbox with trash.

Yep, I play along at times. Last time, I advertised my Chev Colorado for sale. I told the "buyer" my wife had gone to the movies
. She feel ill and returned early, catching me in bed with her sister. I told them she was so upset that she absconded with the vehicle and the buyers money. Myself
Being distraught and abondonded, had no choice but to run away and join the circus or French foreign legion. I implored the buyer to advise me which of the two I should choose.

Someone tried to offer to pay for a $20 car item via a cashiers check plus all fees and a bonus if I shipped the item to them... I mean really.. A $20 item? It was a freaking dash cluster to an impala

Originally Posted By: otis24
Yep, I play along at times. Last time, I advertised my Chev Colorado for sale. I told the "buyer" my wife had gone to the movies
. She feel ill and returned early, catching me in bed with her sister. I told them she was so upset that she absconded with the vehicle and the buyers money. Myself
Being distraught and abondonded, had no choice but to run away and join the circus or French foreign legion. I implored the buyer to advise me which of the two I should choose.
You're wasting our time^ .

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: otis24
You're wasting our time^ .

You guys are hard to scam when you waste my time with stories

Another one contacted me today. Googled the number, it was South Carolina. I txted back, "I see you are from South Carolina. Why the interest in a vehicle so far across the country?". No further response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back