Scam: Ghana $+2 - US $-2

Hello BITOGers,

just wanted to put it out there to be careful who you talk to on the internet and who you thrust, especially with money.

Just got a story from friends of mine, that college girl got chatty with a nice looking guy, supposedly stationed overseas in a war zone, smooth talking, etc etc.

Asks for $250 to repair a computer; too early in relation; nope

Asks for $800+ to pay for the an emergency flight home; yup. sent to a Ghana names/contacts (really??? how cuckoo you can be?)

Asks for $1,300+ to pay for an emergency fee for some identity card; yup Western union + Walmart in US. (see ^^^).

Of course now that the money is received, the gentleman on a white horse is gone missing/non-reachable.

I'm helping them now to change email and bank accounts passwords, and setup monitoring + credit freeze with the 3 agencies.

So yes, they live among us!

My state was saying that Nigerian scammers were responsible for a lot of the unemployment fraud that occurred recently due to covid. The internet has let the scummy people cast a VERY wide net.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello BITOGers,

just wanted to put it out there to be careful who you talk to on the internet and who you thrust, especially with money.

Just got a story from friends of mine, that college girl got chatty with a nice looking guy, supposedly stationed overseas in a war zone, smooth talking, etc etc.

Asks for $250 to repair a computer; too early in relation; nope

Asks for $800+ to pay for the an emergency flight home; yup. sent to a Ghana names/contacts (really??? how cuckoo you can be?)

Asks for $1,300+ to pay for an emergency fee for some identity card; yup Western union + Walmart in US. (see ^^^).

Of course now that the money is received, the gentleman on a white horse is gone missing/non-reachable.

I'm helping them now to change email and bank accounts passwords, and setup monitoring + credit freeze with the 3 agencies.

So yes, they live among us!

Could you forward me her address and contact info?

I'll give you a commission

Anyone who gives money to an internet stranger deserves to get scammed. I get hired to investigate these cases quite often. The victims are always older lonely single women. Scammer promises them the moon and the stars if she'll only wire him some money so he can buy a plane ticket to come see her.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anyone who gives money to an internet stranger deserves to get scammed.

Honestly, in this day and age, I totally agree.

Maybe in the mid 90's when the net was new but not today.

And that's in no way defending the scammer but a wise man once said "stupid is as stupid does" and you are responsible for your own actions

Originally Posted by Reddy45
My state was saying that Nigerian scammers were responsible for a lot of the unemployment fraud that occurred recently due to covid. The internet has let the scummy people cast a VERY wide net.

If that's really true ( and I suspect it very well could be) then that speaks volumes about the overall integrity and security of our systems and how they have been deliberately designed to fail in order to "hide" other things.

Friend of mine is caught up in a romance scam. He's 62 and thinks he is in a relationship with a 30 year old hoochie. He won't listen to reason. He's never talked to her on the phone because her phone has been broken for the past 3 years. But he's told me that she owns 3 houses and stands to inherit $20 million but can't tell anyone.

Last edited:
You know what, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

So you're saying that message I got that Warren Buffett selected me to receive an added 25 grand to my stimulus deposit is probably bogus?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nascarnation
So you're saying that message I got that Warren Buffett selected me to receive an added 25 grand to my stimulus deposit is probably bogus?

Probably, but hey, you never know, right?

Originally Posted by nascarnation

I didn't get one though. And I use to be a former shareholder. Maybe that's why.

One of my mother's friends got bilked out of $1500 in the ...help-grandma-please-bail-me-out-of-jail scams. Whats funny is she is the know-it-all-loud-mouth among her social circle and shares her opinions about everything. I'm actually surprised she told us about it.

There are a lot of old sayings that apply here....."A sucker born every minute"...."You can't fix stupid" ...etc....

I see a lot of car selling scams on Craigslist ....they are usually pretty easy to spot when they are 'selling' a 2014 vehicle for $1500 dollars....

There is some scammer going around on Craigslist using my name as it's public information. Basically he uses somebody's else's old ad and a low price and tells people to wire money to this account and that he can't show the place because there are tenants there. That basically violates two craigslist rules, don't wire money to people and don't rent sight unseen. He's scammed a few people. A bunch find me online and call before sending money. Too bad the FBI and the local police do nothing to stop him, reported it and nothing happens. Been going on for a while.

Originally Posted by pbm
There are a lot of old sayings that apply here....."A sucker born every minute"...."You can't fix stupid" ...etc....

I see a lot of car selling scams on Craigslist ....they are usually pretty easy to spot when they are 'selling' a 2014 vehicle for $1500 dollars....

I feel the same way about the Uber kidnappings. Every time I Uber, I confirm the license plate and ensure that the driver tells me my name before I get in. I think everything is a scam until it's proven not.

Back