sawed off 12 gauge with a pistol grip

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to use a shotgun for self defense, I would recommend that you use a gun that came with a short barrel, buy a factory barrel, or have the existing barrel cut by a professional. The last thing you want is to go into court with a (accurately described) "sawed off shotgun".

That will not sound good to a jury that may not have any firearm knowledge.

Alright, met with him today.

I've never had a Mossberg, so is it a good brand? I have always thought it was a walmart brand, so I'm unsure. I forgot the model of the one I looked at but it was a 8 round, 20" barrel pistol grip and held 2 3/4 to 3" shells and was blued for $319 + tax. So I will go ahead with it, just wanting to be sure it will feed, fire and eject all rounds without issues. It comes with a 10yr warranty if that means much.

It's called the persuader.

Last edited:
Mossberg is a good brand. They are a supplier to the U.S. military for pump action shotguns (590A1).

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Alright, met with him today.

I've never had a Mossberg, so is it a good brand? I have always thought it was a walmart brand, so I'm unsure. I forgot the model of the one I looked at but it was a 8 round, 20" barrel pistol grip and held 2 3/4 to 3" shells and was blued for $319 + tax. So I will go ahead with it, just wanting to be sure it will feed, fire and eject all rounds without issues. It comes with a 10yr warranty if that means much.

It's called the persuader.

I have the model 500 and my friend has a 590 persuader. Can't remember either ever jamming up on us.

Mossberg has made that action, in several variations, for more than 40 years now. Think of it as Time Tested.
wink.gif
I own two of 'em- one is a house brand shotgun(New Haven), made before they went to double action-bars- the other is a Maverick, a 2nd tier line mfg by Mossberg, almost the same but with safety button on the triggerguard. Tha Maverick is also available in the same configuration for a few $ less, if you can find it.

Just remember- buy a box of light load shells(low brass #8s or similar) for practice. The first few shots will be- ah- attention getters!
grin2.gif

Mossberg 500 or 590 can be had for relatively little cash, and work fine.

Big improvement is to add one of the Knoxx/Blackhawk recoil absorbing " Breacher " grips, they actually work and make even shooting slugs or buckshot fun as opposed to somewhat less than fun with a solid grip.

For limited use the stock grip will do but is very unpleasant with 3" slugs to put it mildly...

Originally Posted By: thehkp7m13
Originally Posted By: crinkles
why is a sawn off shotgun illegal?

Yes and No...you have to have a CLASS 3 permit for it.

What is a class 3?
I'm really surprised that a 'Short' Shotgun is a restricted weapon in the U.S.
Really what is the difference between a handgun and a short Shotgun?
I would have thought that the Shotgun would be a 'safer' defensive weapon (for home defence) due to the restricted range.

I have no idea what a "class 3" is nor any other class or permit except, of course, a CHL.

In Texas there's no restriction here other than the barrel must be 18". There are also no permits for any guns other than full autos. I can carry my shotgun all over town in the back window of my truck in plain sight without ANY trouble from anybody. I did that today. I can walk down the street with a sawed off shotgun slung across my back and be perfectly within the law. Same with a rifle.

It's still America down here.

I don't really know. I'm sure the NRA is working against that legislation, too.

Still, I don't know if I'd want one shorter than that. The recoil would almost break your hand.

All the limits, sizes, categorisation as "Assault weapons" etc. is completely arbitrary, and usually legislated by someone whose only contact with firearms has been watching movies.

Pump shotguns are illegal in Oz, but I can buy a pump pistol grip Remington with AR magazine, bolt action and lever action 12 guages.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
All the limits, sizes, categorisation as "Assault weapons" etc. is completely arbitrary, and usually legislated by someone whose only contact with firearms has been watching movies.

Still amazes me that you can see that with guns but not other things...

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Still amazes me that you can see that with guns but not other things...

I see it in many other things, but you like painting people with your own pallette, as it makes your world view easier.

Tell me again how wild voltage swings, square waves and variable frequency would improve your internet experience.

Just a guess, but the 18" limit may be due to the wide dispersment of shot with the extreme short barrel. With pistols, rifles, and even shotguns, you hit a very small area with your bullet/shot. With an extremely short shotgun, the shots may disperse so wide that collateral damage may be hard to control, ie, shoot at a man 10 feet away and hit everyone within 4 ft of him (just a guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back