saw something curious / cute the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were traveling south on route 309, a four lane, heavily traveled highway. Traffic both ways had come to a stop. There crossing the highway was a flock of geese. They were all waddling along on foot, single file, straight across the highway. There must have been three dozen of them. It took a couple of minutes for them all to cross. Everybody patiently waited in their cars. When they all got across, traffic resumed. Nobody fussed or blew their horns, it was kind of neat, like something you'd see in one of those heartwarming videos.

With the kind of people we have driving on the roads these days, I'm very surprised no one decided to run them over.

A couple of times I've had to block lanes of traffic by positioning my car to block all lanes so some [censored] won't run over a mother duck and her 8 chicks.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A couple of times I've had to block lanes of traffic by positioning my car to block all lanes so some [censored] won't run over a mother duck and her 8 chicks.

I`ve done that with turtles. Stopped my car and positioned it to block all lanes of traffic,turned on my hazards,and saved the turtles. I`ve saved two huge snappers and a small red eared slider.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Good for you ! Sometimes i just don't get whats wrong with some people.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/20/...ing-crash-that/

I don't believe people should get prison time for traffic accidents, but who the [censored] stops in the middle of a 60mph highway, doesn't put their emergency flashers on, and gets out of their car and thinks it's a good idea? And this was at night so the biker and his daughter didn't stand a chance..She should've pulled over if she was determined to get the ducks into her car.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1371681/accuse...amily-of-ducks/

But then again, that's not what this thread is about
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I`ve done that with turtles. Stopped my car and positioned it to block all lanes of traffic,turned on my hazards,and saved the turtles. I`ve saved two huge snappers and a small red eared slider.

I've stopped and saved a few turtles myself, but only if it's safe to do so.

She stopped in the highway lane? is there no shoulder?

I actually was rear-ended by a texting driver in a 4 lane 35mph local road.

Totaled my previous car.

There was a massive flock of ducks and geese in the road

it wasn't dark.. so I slowed down to about 15mph and got rear ended...

the other driver said I slammed on my brakes for no reason..

I said it only appeared that way if you were too busy texting to look at the road.(I slowed down for at least 10-15s) the ducks were highly visible.

I'm also not sure how you total someones car with a crash of less than 20mph(he was severely speeding)

He had also just got on the road from a side street as no one was behind me previously.

Its very dangerous to slowdown/stop on the road

I'm still glad I didn't kill 10ducks but was it worth it?
acc.jpg

Last edited:
When you see people slamming on their brakes in the middle of the street day in and day out for stupid geese who stand in the road it becomes less entertaining real fast.

Ducks Unlimited member btw.

Last edited:
It will surprise me to no end how people will freak out in Florida when a turtle is crossing the road. I was coming home the other night and a turtle was crossing the road and cars literally slid in all directions and people stopped and running over to "save" the turtle. Only a mile up the road, a dead smashed armadillo on the road. The same people who will put life and limb in jeopardy to save a stupid, senseless reptile. That they are. Yet they will not even slow down for a possum, armadillo or raccoon, warm blooded animals that actually do stuff remotely associated with having a brain and intelligence. On another note, while driving Tri-axle dump truck, years ago. on a down-hill run, there is no stopping a loaded tri-axle, every stop is prepared. I once hit a goose, that walked out on front of me. I looked in the mirrors and it looked like a pillow explosion with feathers coming down until I was outa sight. Some people don't just use common sense, don't do something dangerous and stupid, like the woman to save a duckling, that just might end up at your next Chinese buffet. Its just not worth it. Its a duck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back