Saw a Yugo Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.facebook.com/Yugo-tuning-style-688769204573951/?fref=ts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I remember test driving one when they first came out. A POS was an understatement. Dangerous, death trap, garbage, [censored], etc. you name it.

With all the regulations, how could something so dangerous be sold? Maybe regulations have changed since then?

Haven't seen a Yugo in California though so it makes me wonder.

My buddy and I test drove one when they first started selling them in the US. We were residing in NY at the time. After the drive we are amazed that they'd even attempt to sell such [censored] here. I think the list price of the car was about $2,000 at the time. I remember going up a hill with the thing with it floored in second gear and people behind us beeping and cursing. This was a hill on Long Island mind you, where a big hills don't exist. LOL They did sell, but word of mouth didn't help sales and the rest is history.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Who would sink money into a Yugo?

Hipsters who think they're being ironic. Like the guys who get Deloreans.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Hipsters who think they're being ironic. Like the guys who get Deloreans.

If you want to get attention, which I'd guess is one of the primary functions of many flash cars and most flash motorcycles, its a pretty cheap way of doing it.

Not my motivation, honest, but I drive possibly the worst looking road-legal car in Taiwan.

To generate equivalent head-turning torque with flashness, I'd need one of those Lambo Contach things.

I still have a Yugo!

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Yugo?sort=6&page=1

I have not driven mine in about 2 years. It's in the corner of my garage. All I need to do is installed new wheel bearings and tie-rods and it's good to go. I've been too caught up with my Trabant 601 and Citroen 2CV to do any work on it. As well as other things.
I wonder how hard it would be to find parts for a 30 year old car from a manufacturer who has been gone from the US for so long. I really was stunned how good the car looked. It looked good for a 3 year old car, let alone a 30 year old one. Of course I only saw it for a few seconds. Either it was garaged for its whole life or it had fresh paint or both. Who would sink money into a Yugo?

I "restored" mine about 11 years ago. I paid $200 for it. I bought two parts car for $300 and allot of cheap parts off Ebay and Fiat part suppliers. Parts are easy to find and cheap. About 90% of the parts from Fiat 127,128 or X 1/9 will fit them.

Really if you wanted a cheap car to maintain, the Yugo isn't as bad as you might think.

The main issue is they are front wheel drive so they don't take power upgrades that well. No limited slip differential. I had to do quite a bit to mine like stiffen the chassis.

A couple of years ago, there were two guys in my town who had Yugos. They were either friends with each other, [removed] I'm not sure. They used to come into the Napa I work at to get parts. I haven't seen them in several years though; not sure if they (and their Yugos) are still around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one at a car show in Dublin, OH last July that won a trophy.

First one I ever saw was in a junkyard actually.

That's a nice looking car. That's about the condition of the one I saw but it was white. I guess there are more around than I thought, but probably not in my neck of the country due to rust.

Sales at a local (Staten Island, I think) Cadillac dealership waned during a fuel pinch and advertised....

Buy a Cadillac and we'll include in a Yugo.

also: Want to double the value of your Yugo? Fill the tank!

What do you call a convertible Yugo? A pram (baby carriage)

Save funeral expenses...just put coffin handles on the sides at the factory

There were students looking for a cheap car who bought them. The Hugo fit the bill and covered two major issues, cheap and new. They quickly learned it also covered POS and death trap, which they weren't expecting.

Then there was the Danny deVito film where every one in the town drove yugos... Too lazy to google.

Can't remember what the 3cyl Subaru from about the same vintage was called. Was one of the first cvt transmission cars iirc. Pretty sure the Subaru was actually built by a Korean maker and re badged. Haven't seen one of those is at least 15-20 years... I did see a turbo sprint a few years back. I was like what the heck is that???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back