Saw a shattered wheel today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw someone being helped in a store parking lot. It was up on a jackstand with a jack underneath. However - no wheel. What I noticed was the remains of a wheel off to the side and it looked like it had shattered like glass. I don't think it was OEM but a cheap aftermarket version.

Yike!

I'm guessing in CA it's not because it siezed to the hub and someone took a hammer to it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yike!

I'm guessing in CA it's not because it siezed to the hub and someone took a hammer to it.

That was immediately my thought ... then I saw location of SF.

I have seen some aftermarket wheels shatter like that. Especially the cheap ones. I have also seen high dollar ones do that, but as a result of someone using drilled rotors on a road course and the rotor exploding.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yike!

I could get the wheel off my wife's car once since it had seized on the hub. However, it was steel and it lightly rusted to the hub. When I brought it in for a new pair, they took a plastic mallet to it to get it unstuck. However, it was steel, so it wasn't going to shatter.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Let me guess: it is a Rota knock off, a cast aluminum of a supposedly forged aluminum design.

Yeah - looked like a knock-off of an expensive wheel. It was on a pretty cheap car too.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Let me guess: it is a Rota knock off, a cast aluminum of a supposedly forged aluminum design.

What's up with the Rota wheels? I know a few people who are into the "Hella flush", asinine amounts of negative camber and stretching skinny tires on to wheels that are too wide ... Why are they all obsessed with rota wheels? They pay ... ridiculous amounts of money for them.

I get upset when I have to pay more than $20 for a wheel at the junkyard.

Had somebody ask me once if this could be fixed.

cantfix_250.jpg

Um... nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back