Saw a real beater in traffic the other day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were sitting at a stop light and this old, multi-color Dodge Omni with what sounded like no exhaust pulls up next to us slowly trying to edge around us to turn right when there wasn't actually a right hand turn lane. A guy that looked to be mid 40s was driving with a cigarette hanging from his lips. He had a big 5" tach mounted on the dash and the dashboard in front of the passenger had 4 gauges mounted in it. My immediate reaction was hysterical laughter at this poor guy and his car that clearly had more $$$$ in gauges installed on it than it was worth when new.

After my laughter subsided the light went green and he was able to continue pulling forward. Then I caught a glimpse of the back end, Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. It was about that time that the car disappeared north bound in an extreme furry of turbo whistle, pshhhhhhhh, shift, turbo whistle, psshhhhhh, shift, turbo whistle.

I hereby rescind my hysterical laughter to you Mr. Unknown middle age man with a Marlboro hanging from your lips, your Omni clearly wasn't a beater. I like my crow with BBQ sauce.

I love sleepers..............
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 04SE

I hereby rescind my hysterical laughter to you Mr. Unknown middle age man with a Marlboro hanging from your lips, your Omni clearly wasn't a beater. I like my crow with BBQ sauce.

I love it! This is why we do it, my friend

That's not bad, but there was also a GLH-S model. I believe it was supposed to stand for Goes like Heck some more.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
That looks like the old davidsfarm oldsmobile lol

You mean the Moldsmobile!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
That's not bad, but there was also a GLH-S model. I believe it was supposed to stand for Goes like Heck some more.

In high school my sisters boyfriend bought a GLH, took the stickers off and only thing that looked different was the small airdams/skirts and the no sidewall 195-50-15 tires and rims. Cracked 2 rims on potholes on I-80. Cable shifter was sloppy but once that turbo spooled up....GONE. We caught many people buy surprise with that thing. IIRC it came in Black and Red only, second or third year also came in electric Blue.

It had the same motor as the Dodge Daytona's of the time. Fun car to cruise on back roads!

Our fun machines, I have 2, an 87 N/A and an 86 GLHT that I've upgraded to an S and a little more.... Think 2200 lbs. 16psi, intercooled, 240hp, at the wheels...........

Wayne

A friend of mine had a GLH for about a month. I was lucky enough to drive it before it was totaled. Great little car.

Chrysler played around with the Omni/Horizon quite a bit in the 80's. They even partnered with Carroll Shelby on the Shelby Charger. It was just an Omni 024 (hatchback) that had been "Shelby-ized."

I actually owned a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH for sometime. Awesome little sleeper. I had a bunch done to it. It would run low 13's high 12's. I miss that car.
In addition to that I owned Shebly Lancer #24, 3 different Turbo Dodge Daytonas, 2 Turbo Lebarons, 1 Turbo Lancer and I am sure I am forgetting one.

There were three variations of the souped up Omni. The first was a H.O. 2 barrel 2.2, the Next was the GLH which was a non-intercooled Garrett turbo 2.2 setup and the last was the GLHS which was the intercooled 2.2 setup.
Shelby worked on the GLH, 1986 Omni GLHS, Shelby Charger, 1987 Charger GLHS, 1987 Shelby Lancer, 1989 Shelby Dakota, Shadow (Shelby CSX 1987 to 1989) The GLH and the Shelby charger were not numbered cars. The rest of them were.
Plus this bugger....

Shelby van, yes you read that right.

The GLH and GLH-S were very quick little buggers in their day.

Chrysler did a lot of good things with turbos during that era. I had many friends who owned turbo Mopars from that time. Brings back some memories.

I had an order in on a 1990 LeBaron GTC Turbo IV (VNT) with the New Venture 5-speed, but Chrysler discontinued that engine on the LeBaron before the order could go through. I think only 250 of those were ever made.

We reluctantly re-ordered it with the V-6 and 5-speed, which was a surprisingly very nice package. But not the rush the Turbo IV would have been.

I don't ever recall seeing another V-6/5-speed LeBaron in the 10 years we owned ours. I later learned this was a rare LeBaron combination.

Bright white on medium grey, with all the trimmings Lee could muster. Generally a reliable car and VERY drivable. It sold to the first buyer who saw it.

I liked that car and should have kept it longer.

_20100103_20171406_zps25baa365.jpg

_20100103_20195305_zps4b5a9096.jpg

Lebaron4_zps7326072a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back