Saw a poor 1.6l Gamma engine go to an early grave today, check your oil people!

If you say so. Some people don’t know all the ins and outs of a car and what all goes on. Maybe she thought it was like the check engine light. Just because it comes on doesn’t mean you have to immediately pull over

Red light = stop - isn't exactly "all the ins and outs". And yes, they mean to stop as soon as safely possible. Some even spell it out.

peugeot-107-dashboard-warning-lights.jpg

Which of these doesn't mean stop asap to you? the seatbelt and airbag are legal requirements, but the transmission, oil pressure, brakes, alternator, coolant overheat will stop you with extra bill attached if you don't...

My new '21 Audi SQ5 does not have a dipstick, but an electronic level indicator. Audi did keep the dipstick tube, just put a plug w/double o-rings in-place of the dipstick.

Of course, I replaced that plug with a physical dipstick from ECS Tuning for $50, but call me old-fashioned - I like to physically observe the oil level. Note: On start-up, the oil level will flash-up on the DIC, showing the level with the message "Oil Level OK".

Red light = stop - isn't exactly "all the ins and outs". And yes, they mean to stop as soon as safely possible. Some even spell it out.

Which of these doesn't mean stop asap to you? the seatbelt and airbag are legal requirements, but the transmission, oil pressure, brakes, alternator, coolant overheat will stop you with extra bill attached if you don't...
He said she continued to drive 10 miles to the house. Maybe that’s where SHE felt it was safe to stop.

My new '21 Audi SQ5 does not have a dipstick, but an electronic level indicator. Audi did keep the dipstick tube, just put a plug w/double o-rings in-place of the dipstick.

Of course, I replaced that plug with a physical dipstick from ECS Tuning for $50, but call me old-fashioned - I like to physically observe the oil level. Note: On start-up, the oil level will flash-up on the DIC, showing the level with the message "Oil Level OK".
I guess it saves them a few dollars, and maybe, ok probably, I'm a dinosaur, but I want a dipstick and the ability to check the oil. It's great it reports it at every start up, and maybe after a few hundred times of it agreeing with my observation I'd just take its word for it, but until then I want the ability to check it. I'd be like you and buy one but I'd rather pay $5 more for the car and have them include the 93 cent part to begin with.

That's a lot of info in one gauge! But what is the warning in the lower right...looks like put on your glasses?:cool:

Cool looking display. What vehicle is that in?

One of my in-laws has a 2013 VW Toureg with the 6 cylinder gasoline engine that has no dipstick. The electronic oil level checker has been broken for a while so they just add a quart when the light comes on and that turns the light off. It's a 7 quart system so I doubt they are doing much harm.

OT: I don't like this no dipstick system at all because you can't check the oil after a OC...an unscrupulous tech could just top it off and call it good.
PS: I've encouraged my in-law to buy the 5 qt. jug of oil at WM (it currently has Castrol 0w40 in it) rather than paying $11 a quart at AZ.

Last edited:
Back