Saving money in these times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invest in yourself. College, trade skills, whatever.
Life is for learning.

Maybe 2 years ago I learned the R programming language which is an open source, scientific analytics language.
Harvard University...
https://www.edx.org/course/data-science-r-basics

I have not actually used it professionally, but it alerted me to think about business statistics in new ways.
Which made me better and more valuable.
The investment paid off.

Last edited:
You can't guarantee that forbearance won't affect your credit score. The only guarantee is that your account won't be marked delinquent. But it's still possible for other lenders or the FICO model to deduce from other information in the credit report that you're in forbearance and not paying your loan (ie, you're delinquent). And the statistics say that people in forbearance have a high chance of delinquency in the future. There's nothing to prevent FICO from using this information to lower your score.

If you plan to apply for other credit or refi in the next several months, then I wouldn't apply for forbearance. Use it as a last resort only.

Originally Posted by xfactor9
You can't guarantee that forbearance won't affect your credit score. The only guarantee is that your account won't be marked delinquent. But it's still possible for other lenders or the FICO model to deduce from other information in the credit report that you're in forbearance and not paying your loan (ie, you're delinquent). And the statistics say that people in forbearance have a high chance of delinquency in the future. There's nothing to prevent FICO from using this information to lower your score.

If you plan to apply for other credit or refi in the next several months, then I wouldn't apply for forbearance. Use it as a last resort only.

I think credit score is low on priority right now, unless it affects your job search.

And each bank could act differently.

Finding out how, cost you nothing but nice words and a lot of waiting on hold.

P.S. quick question: what do you think the R language mentioned by JeffKeryk is used for? hint - heavy profiling statistics...

Originally Posted by pandus13

P.S. quick question: what do you think the R language mentioned by JeffKeryk is used for? hint - heavy profiling statistics...

Not sure I really know what "profiling statistics" are, but I can tell you how I use R: As an extension to SQL and Power BI modeling.
For example, the most used statistical function to generate predictions is linear regression; I have written a pure Transact SQL version.
My goal was to encapsulate the regression analysis calculation in a Power BI model rendering a totally flexible interactive experience for the executive staff.
The model runs on 10M rows of sales data (rolling 4 fiscal quarters) and is used to predict bookings and regional direct sales headcount requirements.

Plus I am a scientist at heart. Programming is like opening a present on Christmas day.

we have just paid off our CRV yesterday then I called today to check for a liability insurance just for fun so they quoted me for $150 less so I kept it as is; Now the time is to bolster our savings.

Originally Posted by Warlord
I've lived well below my means for years now. Haven't changed anything lately. If I had to free up cash I could sell off some metals, guns, ammo, etc. I will not sell my fishing stuff even to save the house.

I've financed a fair amount of stuff. My gamble is...

-the stuff I financed will never get cheaper for long
-if inflation happens because the economy gets wrecked, I'll just pay it off that much sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back