Saving gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the current rate of gas prices, why doesn't the government reduce speed limits (65 or lower) to force people to slow down and save gas? At least until the current crisis is over.
When I leave town, I usually have to drive a distance of 75-125 miles one way. I drive around 65 and it does make a big difference on MPG.
As far as travelling time, people have adjusted in the past and they will again.
It seems that this is one common sense solution that would be easy to implement.

If people want to save gas that way, they can decide to slow down on their own. We don't need the government deciding for us.

How could you possibly know if you want to slow down, unless they reduce the speed limit.

Lowering the speed limit would help, but improved driving habits in traffic would help, too. I was at the Toyota dealer today, and there were five cars in the parking lot, parked with the engine running, windows up and the a/c on. These people could have gone into the dealership to wait, but choose to wait outside. I don't know if seeing that bothers you, but it really bothers me. Several of the cars had big puddles of water under them. I was at the dealership for about 20 minutes and during that time not one of those cars left. One of the cars was a mini-van with several people inside, must have good a/c. It was in the high 80's and a little himid. Maybe I'm just worry too much about things that are none of my business.

Exactly, the last thing we need is for the government to step in.

If YOU want to save gas, slow down.

30+MPG at 75+ MPH suits me just fine
wink.gif

I'm a registered voter. I would vote a politician out of office if they tried to micromanage the population. I usually get passed on the freeway my entire drive to anywhere I'm going, I rarely go past 70mph. While I don't like to drive fast, I certainly don't think anyone has the right to tell the guy passing me he has to go slower, especially when the vehicle he is driving is geared differently then mine and he can get good fuel economy at the higher speeds.

If you want to ask a real question, question why CAFE standards haven't been raised in twenty years. I know all the arguments on both sides of this one, and about 75% of them sound good, but once you investigate them they are just "soundbites" thrown out there for someone else's "agenda". The technology exists to raise CAFE standards - and to not do so is irresponsible. I suspect a few politicians are going to lose elections this year for this very issue.

quote:

Originally posted by cfromc:
If people want to save gas that way, they can decide to slow down on their own. We don't need the government deciding for us.

Exactly right. The gov't should not have to force the population to take their foot off the gas. I'd think pretty much everyone knows if you want to save gas, slow down. We don't need yet another law to tell us that.
banghead.gif

Besides, the gov't can't seem to enforce the laws currently on the books now. Where I live there is almost no law enforcement of speed limits on the interstate. Others than neighborhood speed traps, cops don't seem to care how fast you're going as long as you're not driving recklessly.

However, while many would say how they drive is "their business", most of these would be the first to comlain "why doesn't the government do something about gas prices". Aren't gas/fuel prices the business of the oil companies? Should the "government" be stepping into their business? While many of you would vote out a politician for trying to micro-manage the people, how many of you would vote out the same politician for micro-managing private business in an attempt to lower gas prices? It seems that everyone is okay with government interference when it benefits them. There are things we can and should do to benefit ourselves and for the good of the nation as a whole.

Any idea how much it would cost local and state governments to change all the signs back and forth in relation to gas prices? If people are in hardship conditions concerning their gas expenditure, they'll slow down or stop on their own.

As for the government and oil companies, energy is a federally regulated business and the government is free to step in at any time if they notice an impropriety in prices or selling tactics.

I am guessing with the above posts that all you guys think there should be no speed limit? The gov'ment is already involved by setting the speed limit at 65, 70, or 125 or whatever. So setting it at 55 or 60 is no additional government intrusion, just the same at a lower number. Its a law. Like the laws that you cant relieve youself on the courthouse steps, or, kidnapping your neighbors wife. Laws are to be obeyed, and at the same time, broken. Its in a persons ethics what he does with the law. Do you cheat Walmart by returning products that you did not buy there, and brag about it? Think you can set your own laws? I do agree that you can burn all the gas you want, although. But I may not be happy about it. That is my right.

Enforcing laws is another matter. But the state of maintenance on alot of the roads in my area may ultimately automatically lower speed limits.

That being said, there is not much chance of a "national speed limit lowering" like the 55 limit in the early seventies. Politicians today do not have much backbone, or ethics.

I do see alot of wasted gas in todays driving. Slowing down would save this country alot of money. I also see alot of vehicles sitting idling when they should be off. But modern conveniences, such as stores with their pay at the pump gas pumps, allow people to pump while leaving their vehicles run. And fast food restaurants, with their drive-thru windows, cater to burning gas. I went to my local McDonalds the other day and saw six cars inline at the drive-thru, and no customers inside! I went in and ordered (yes turning off my car) and was leaving with my food before the third car got to the window. (Yes, another car got in line!)

But its all relative. Freedoms in the US are what made this country great. Unfortunately freedom to waste has become part of our regular conscience in this "live for today, consume, throw away" society. With that, I now step off my soapbox, and try to blend with society..........

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
... I would vote a politician out of office if they tried to micromanage the population....
... ask... why CAFE standards haven't been raised in twenty years....

These two statements are contradictory. Managing CAFE standards IS micromanaging the population.

On another note, gas mileage is not the end-all goal for transportation. The goal is to make transportation costs minimal. The technology to increase fuel mileage is more expensive to manufacture and repair. Increasing CAFE standards would result in overly complex vehicles that would easily result in more expensive overall transportation costs.

As a followup, I was browsing through an old Car and Driver magazine, circa 1976. Inside there are ads for a Toyota Corolla @ 39hiway/24city, Opel Isuzu (yes, and not the other way around) @ 36/23, Honda Civic 47/35, Datsun F-10 (ugly!) 41/29, and a Dodge Colt @ 37/24.

Seems as if we have regressed tremendously alot, in 30 years, regarding fuel mileage. Us and our fickle tastes, determining what the carmakers make!!

quote:

Originally posted by rusty 63 model:
As a followup, I was browsing through an old Car and Driver magazine, circa 1976. Inside there are ads for a Toyota Corolla @ 39hiway/24city, Opel Isuzu (yes, and not the other way around) @ 36/23, Honda Civic 47/35, Datsun F-10 (ugly!) 41/29, and a Dodge Colt @ 37/24.

Seems as if we have regressed tremendously alot, in 30 years, regarding fuel mileage. Us and our fickle tastes, determining what the carmakers make!!

Compare apples to apples. The ratings done in 1976 were done by a totally different, and believed to be less accurate technique.

So you really cannot compare what you read in a magazine in 1976 to the EPA ratings of 2006, they are derived in a totally different fashion.

But don't take my word for it, google it!

quote:

Originally posted by otis24:

However, while many would say how they drive is "their business", most of these would be the first to comlain "why doesn't the government do something about gas prices". Aren't gas/fuel prices the business of the oil companies? Should the "government" be stepping into their business? While many of you would vote out a politician for trying to micro-manage the people, how many of you would vote out the same politician for micro-managing private business in an attempt to lower gas prices? It seems that everyone is okay with government interference when it benefits them. There are things we can and should do to benefit ourselves and for the good of the nation as a whole.

I'm certainly not one of those, "what is the government doing..." kinda guys.

It's the market, stupid. If you want gas prices to go down, then use less. Take the bus, carpool, combine trips, etc.

I used to drive 40K miles/year. I've been able to cut out about 5K miles in the past year, give or take. I work from home more, took an assignment where I work two weeks/month where I can take public transport to work, etc.

Kennedy had it right, ask not what your country can do about gas prices, but what can YOU do about gas usage. (Ok, so I took some liberties, LOL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back