Saved wal-mart customer from SA oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was a girl in the oil isle confused, she picked up a bottle of Genuine 30 wt oil for $.84 cents. She asked a walmart employee who was passing by if it was okay for a lawnmower that needed 30 weight. the walmart employee said yes and she put the bottle in her basket. When the walmart employee left, I said "you don't want that oil in your lawnmower" So she asked me about it, I pointed out that it was non-detergent. to make the long story short, she picked up a bottle of Pennzoil straight 30 weight for her lawn mower. It is obvious her husband or boyfriend told her to pick up a bottle of 30 wt for the lawnmower. She almost made a drastic mistake! After she left, I looked at the back of Genuine 30wt non detergent SA oil. "Caution: Do not use in automotive engines built after 1930"
shocked.gif

Is it considered irreesponsible of wal mart to sell such a product to customers, which as a whole, tend to be very unknowledgable as far as oil goes?

How many customers, even wal mart customers, drive in vehicles from the 30s that have original engines?

JMH

FIrst For what Walmart pays and the few hours they give do you think they are getting the cream of the crop? I have never been to a walmart where the people minding the register knew anyting at all about the products in their area!! Let me tell you as a long time athlete,hunter,fisher and outdoors man I have never seen anyone in the Sporting Goods Section that knew a darn thing about sporting goods!Same thing goes for Automotive,Electronics etc........

You would not belive the idiots they will let handle rifles and the idiotic advice they give out!

I think SA rated oils should either be outlawed, or put into bottles that do not resemble motor oil bottles. I also think they should be required to have a BIG BOLD RED warning about not using in modern automobile engines.

I also fail to see the need for the "SF" rated Accel brand oil that Wal-Mart sells. It & the Accel SA rated oils sell for about 10 cents cheaper than SuperTech oil.

I don't think that a Walmart employee will purposely give you bad oil / automotive advice, its just that they have no knowledge about cars. Imagine all the bad advice that AutoZone or Pep Boys give on a daily basis.

Would a non-detergent oil really matter in a lawn mower ??

There are legitimate uses for non-detergent oils, and I'd hate to see that choice taken away because some people might misuse them.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
There are legitimate uses for non-detergent oils, and I'd hate to see that choice taken away because some people might misuse them.

Agree, but I do think wavinwayne has a good idea that would solve the problem:
quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I think SA rated oils should ... be ... put into bottles that do not resemble motor oil bottles.

And then maybe it could be sold somewhere apart from the modern motor oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
What are the legitimate uses for non detergent 30W oils?

Bicycle and chainsaw chains, door hinges, cables, hood latch, tailgate hinges, lawnmower wheels. BITOGers might even question some of these.

I just saw an empty quart of "Golden Gate" SA oil in my cousin's trash. She was wondering why her truck isn't running very good.

quote:

A lot of old school guys that have old engines won't use a detergent in them. They're afraid that it will break up the sludge and cause problems.

quote:

Non-detergent oils are ideal for putting an engine into storage--like a motorcycle engine for the winter. They're superior to detergent motor oils because they don't absorb as much water.

Winston,

I have agricultural diaphragm piston pumps on my sprayers that use non-detergent 30 wt. oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back