"Save of The Century" -Jalopnik

wemay

Site Donor 2023

Jalopnik: This Is The Save Of The Century.

Jalopnik: This Is The Save Of The Century.

A wet your pants moment...lol

More like thank goodness for the parachute, and luck. He was just long for the ride after it went airborne, but after it landed was eventually able to steer again.

He didn't win. He crossed the centerline. DQ'd.

Whether it was launched on purpose or not, the parachute was what brought it under control. Either quick thinking or just lucky. And lucky either way.

I guarantee it wasn't launched on purpose. No one wants to damage their car.

I don't know what exact system this car had on it. But I can tell you that in the Pro Fuel ranks, most teams are running a system where the Crew Chief can shut the engine off and deploy the chutes by remote control, if they see something going bad. The system will automatically shut the engine off and deploy the chute(s) if certain parameters are met.

Last edited:
I guarantee it wasn't launched on purpose. No one wants to damage their car.

I don't know what exact system this car had on it. But I can tell you that in the Pro Fuel ranks, most teams are running a system where the Crew Chief can shut the engine off and deploy the chutes by remote control, if they see something going bad. The system will automatically shut the engine off and deploy the chute(s) if certain parameters are met.
I didn't mean that he launched the car on purpose. I meant that the parachute may (or may not) have been launched on purpose.

The car is very tail down just as the parachute launches. I thought the parachute might have launched because something broke, or the parachute launch system rubbed on the pavement, or something like that.

Or it could have been a brilliant save move by the driver or, as you say, by remote control.

Back