Saturn VUE Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Glad to me a member of this forum. I have a 2006 Saturn VUE with the Honda 3.5L and Dex Cool as the factory fill. After reading about a lot of the negative pub for Dex Cool, I am left wondering if I should go with what Honda recommends in the 3.5 or stick with Dex Cool. At 66,xxx on the clock, my gut tells me to stick with Dex Cool at this point. Any thoughts?

How hard would it have been for GM to set up a Honda coolant dispenser on their assembly line fill up Honda engines?

I kinda really don't know how to feel about Dex Cool; like you, I've read dreadful stories about it and yet I have had several vehicles with it and no problems whatsoever.

If it's been working OK for you maybe you should stay with it. Hard to make a good call on this one! Cheers and good luck! DV

I would just change the coolant.

People get into trouble thinking that the OEM supplied coolant will last the lifetime of the vehicle, when it will break down..

Yours is probably already overdue.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would just change the coolant.

People get into trouble thinking that the OEM supplied coolant will last the lifetime of the vehicle, when it will break down..

Yours is probably already overdue.

I don't know you inferred that I think the coolant will last the lifetime of the vehicle when I am bringing up changing the coolant on a two year old vehicle. That's not helpful to drop a "you are already overdue" bomb with no reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
If you have not had any problems with Dexcool I would use it again. I have not had problems with Dexcool. I have used in my Ford Contour SVT since the car was a year old. It is far superior to the "old fashioned green snot of death" that the car came with. I have used Dexcool in several other cars that did not start life with Dexcool with no problems.

I think you should do what the owner's manual recommends (and keep the receipts as proof) at least as long as it's under warranty.

I've used Dex-cool for many years (and hundreds of thousands of miles) with NEVER an issue in a cars/trucks.

My Dads Honda powered VUE needed its coolant changed and I went with Dex-cool without even thinking about it.

Use the Dex-cool and you'll be fine. I do a distilled water flush with the engine then add 50% Dex-cool and wola! Good for another 3 years/50k miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, bill

Honda said very negative things about Saturn using Dexcool and not the honda coolant in their things. Basically like they wouldn't cover warrenty claims for things caused by coolant issues (GM will still honor them, though).

I don't have any documentation to support this anymore, but I read it on this site when Saturn started using Honda engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back