Saturn owners-what oil has worked the best for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturn owners-what motor oil has worked the best for you? And what oil filters and air filters have worked the best?

Personally myself, I have found that Mobil 1 10W-30, Chevron Supreme, and Schaeffer's motor oils have worked well in my car.

I still am trying to decide what oil filter works best on a Saturn. I am going to use a Wix next, because I was able to buy one foe less than 5 bucks at a place that now sells Wix products.

I am using a NAPA Gold air filter right now.

Both Amsoil and Mobil supersyn have posted good numbers on UOA. Castrol dino juice did not work
well- poor tbn results after short use. Oil filters on my L-300 are internal canister type all made in south korea and sold by fram hastings napa and carquest. Napa air filters have been the best showing only 5ppm on the last UOA. My Satrun V-6 seems to be very hard on oil.

The Wix, NAPA Gold, and CarQuest Premium filters are supposed to be all the same. When I bought my air filter at a NAPA store the place that sells Wix products was still in the process of changing from selling Baldwin to Wix. I tried to buy a Baldwin air filter while they were still selling Baldwin, since I heard that Baldwin really does a good job. But they did not have a Baldwin air filter that fit my car.

Now that they are selling Wix filters, I can get a Wix oil filter for less than what NAPA charges for the NAPA Gold and for less than CarQuest charges for the CarQuest Premium. A Wix oil filter cost me about $4.66.

like a rock, what motor oil are you using? Are you using Amsoil or Mobil 1? And Castrol GTX did not work well in your car?

I did try Amsoil a long time ago, but it was the lower quality Amsoil-the XL7500 or whatever they call it. Probably not a good test for Amsoil.

Mobil 1 10W-30 worked great in my SL2.

Another oil that worked great was Chevron Supreme. I started using it after I discovered this site and the car just seemed to love that oil (I know that is not scientific). Felt like it could run forever.

I am using Schaeffer's part synthetic oil right now and the car runs great with it.

ToyotaNSaturn-none! Mobil 1 10W-30 worked fine in my car. However, in my second Saturn I tried Mobil 1 5W-30 and it seemed to be too thin. I have owned three Saturns.

I can't really say very much about my first Saturn. In was a '94 SL2. I got a good deal on a trade in and bought a '95 SL2. I drove that car for 87,000 miles. Some people at this web site say that Saturns use oil, but I never had to add much oil between oil changes.

I have driven my current 2001 Saturn SL2 over 53,000 miles. It does not seem to use any oil. I just recently took a vacation trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc., and I put about 1700 miles on the car in a few days. No oil consumption. Schaeffer's 5W-30 part synthetic ran great.

I really like the Schaeffer's oil, but I may return to Chevron Supreme. It is so ingrained in me to do 3000 mile oil changes that I don't think I will be able to change.

I am still trying to find an oil filter that works good on the Saturn.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Saturn owners-what motor oil has worked the best for you? And what oil filters and air filters have worked the best?

Personally myself, I have found that Mobil 1 10W-30, Chevron Supreme, and Schaeffer's motor oils have worked well in my car.

I still am trying to decide what oil filter works best on a Saturn. I am going to use a Wix next, because I was able to buy one foe less than 5 bucks at a place that now sells Wix products.

I am using a NAPA Gold air filter right now.

Hi,

When I drove a Saturn, I just changed oil
every 3,000 miles with dino oil at Jiffy Lube.

I had no problems with my Saturn except it
burned oil. It burned 1/4 quart every 3,000
miles. But for the oil burning, I may have
tried extending the oil change interval with
synthetic oil or semi-synthetic oil. With
my first two cars, both Jeeps, I stuck to
7,500 oil change interval without problems.

cheers.gif

Jae

I use 3 qts M1 5w30 + 1 qt M1 15w50 in the winter, and 3qts 10w30 + 1 qt 15w50 in the summer. My saturn is a 97 SL1 with 109,000 miles. This thicker mixture seems to control the consumption a little better. I am at 1qt every 1.5k-2k miles with 7k intervals. The consumption is slow right after the change but then accelerates when I top off with the thinner stuff (5w30 or 10w30). It just seems too thick to top off with the 15w50 when I already start with a 15w50 to begin with.

I'm at 71k miles.

I've used MOSTLY walmart Supertech on 2500-3000k intervals. Along with Walmart supertech filters. the majority of the time. Before that it was Castrol and Pennzoil with nasty fram filters.

Heres what it looked like at 70k after running the cheapest of dino juice (of course I changed it OFTEN)

Also I cant say that I baby this car, I know its not a sports car but it does see redline maybe once twice a week...

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back