saturn motor oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I put 15w40 in my sl2 Saturn works great but I live in Missouri one day its summer the next its snowing. I want to know how cold is ok for that oil and the car before a thinner oil should replace it? Thanks guys your the best.

If your Saturn is anything like mine and burning through a quart every 500 miles; just start topping if off with 10w-30 as the weather gets colder. It should make very little difference either way.

I wouldn't run it below 25'F. I'd suck up and run 5w30 even if it disappears faster.

In my experience 15w40 didn't burn much slower in my saturns but man did they run better, less gulping oil at inopportune times.

What a shame those Saturn engines were such oil users...my friend has a '97 SL1 that goes through a quart every 300 miles or so with just over 100,000 miles...runs like a champ though...no noise or smoking and still can get close to 40 mpg on the highway with the 5 speed. He tried high mileage oil and it made no difference in the consumption (Pennzoil I believe). He keeps a few quarts of whatever 10W30 he can get cheap in the trunk and has been changing it out every 10,000 miles or so since the consumption started (early in the engine's life...around 40,000 miles or so). The car is in otherwise great shape though he's thinking of finally replacing it with something newer (he is definitely NOT a "car guy"...his vehicle is just an appliancee although he takes reasonably good care of it).

Just change it over to Rotella 5W-40 and you'll be good to go all winter. Unless you live north of the Missouri river. In that case, you'll want a 5W30 for winter use.

My 2002 Saturn SL (w/79K) really doesn't burn oil although it leaks a few drops from the drain plug (I have a new one ready for the next OCI). I'm thinking of trying 5w20 over the winter (because I have it and want to use it up). Any thoughts?

PS: The SL is a 5 speed and is great on gas but it will probably go up for sale next spring. I have one car too many and I find the low nature of Saturns a bit uncomfortable (for entry and exit). This wouldn't have bothered me when I was younger but age makes us....

What is hdeo? I live 5 miles north of mo river. My car uses about.a quart of oil every 1400 miles. I don't think it made a difference with 15w40 or 10w40. It gets pretty cold here in winter and I want to be safe. What oil would be best to use any brand that may not burn as quick. Thanks guys

Do a MMO Piston Soak. Head over to saturnfans.com for details.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I've done it 3times that's why it only uses a quart every 1400 miles

1400 miles per quart for a Saturn! That's got to be a Missouri state record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back