Saturn 1.9 engine tear down - Rotella T4 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!! thanks, thats detailed! Its an 01 sc1 5 speed. Its got 165k on it. We bought it with 119k on it. Mileage on the clutch is unknown, but based on mileage it probably will need one soon. Engine runs fine, but does use oil. I was thinking of rebuilding it with a new ( cloyes or sealed power) timing set, main and rod bearings, a valve job and non oem rings, perhaps sealed power moly rings. Not sure if i want to use clevite trimetal bearings, or Sealed power aluminum bearings.

Last edited:
Good for you. I like the approach to do the job with your aquirred skills, without big expense and not replacing servicable parts. This was more the mode many decades ago when vehicles/farm equip were often repaired by many owners. I was operating this way and gradually moved into more of a complete 'rebuilding' mode. In more recent times I moved back some after too many brand new, but poor quality parts and a lot of the machints/shops going down hill before finally going away. I'd also like to see your thread on this

Thanks for the engine pull photos! To me thats the most intimidating part. What clutch do you use? i hear good things about LUK. Sachs makes a clutch for this car also.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Good for you. I like the approach to do the job with your aquirred skills, without big expense and not replacing servicable parts. This was more the mode many decades ago when vehicles/farm equip were often repaired by many owners. I was operating this way and gradually moved into more of a complete 'rebuilding' mode. In more recent times I moved back some after too many brand new, but poor quality parts and a lot of the machints/shops going down hill before finally going away. I'd also like to see your thread on this

Thanks, and I agree, there are many jobs I've done where used OEM parts were better than aftermarket new. The main goal of the last engine was to get it done as cheap as possible, the price of fuel was skyrocketing at the time, and I only had my diesel truck running. Within a few days, I had a 30+ mpg cruiser back up and operational.

A few people questioned me on re-using 140k mile oem piston rings. At the time, the cheapest new ones were $90 for a set. I had seen the engine that these came from running and had driven it, compression was great, so IMO, they were perfect candidates for re-use. I checked the gaps before install, and only one oil control ring was on the high side of the spec range, the rest were well within the green area of their limits. After the 100 mile oil change on the 'new' motor, a compression test showed 210psi on all 4 cylinders. Not bad for old rings.

As far as clutches go, I'm going to get a local clutch shop to rebuild mine from now on. They're cheaper and far better quality than the shelf parts available online or from parts houses. But to answer the question, I've never used a Luk clutch, but have used two oem replacement clutches from Advance Auto when they were doing their 20% off and free shipping deal. Those clutches have worked flawlessly, and have held up to my lead foot driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back