SATA vs mSATA SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mulling over the idea of replacing the traditional HDD in my Lenovo X230 with an SSD.

What are the pros and cons of mSATA? Power consumption isn't that much of a concern for me.

I suppose the main advantage of using mSATA is that it'd allow me to keep the old HDD in there in case I needed the extra storage.

From a pricing perspective, both SATA and mSATA seem to cost about the same these days.

The only difference is the form factor and connector. The underlying technology is the same. As you mentioned, the main advantage is allowing you to keep the original standard 2.5" SATA drive.

mSATA does look a lot like another form factor... M2. M2 or m.2 does allow for both SATA and NVMe. NVMe is what you want if you are interested in the new brighter future for SSDs.

This, plus mSATA tends to be more expensive, I believe.

Originally Posted By: razel
The only difference is the form factor and connector. The underlying technology is the same. As you mentioned, the main advantage is allowing you to keep the original standard 2.5" SATA drive.

mSATA does look a lot like another form factor... M2. M2 or m.2 does allow for both SATA and NVMe. NVMe is what you want if you are interested in the new brighter future for SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back