Santa might have a code scanner in his bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
What kind of car do you need one for?

I'm only concerned with one OBD-1 car, a '94 Saturn... I may just ignore that need for cost savings. Other cars are '03 and '05 Toyotas with OBD-II. But, I'm really looking for something good into the future... which of course could be almost anything.

I don't really need this tool right now. Just figured it would be useful to have around when something does go wrong.

You can get codes out of the OBD-I saturn with a paper clip stuck in the ALDL, then reset the CEL by pulling the battery terminal. Not pretty but it'll work.

CANBUS capability is a wise investment if it's only a couple bucks more.

Id be interested in one that could do SRS and ABS codes too... to me thats where the value is, since autozone reads codes for free, and if its something that is THAT significant, likely a shop or serious system needs to be used too.

Its when things like ABS lights come on when doing wheel hubs and whatnot, that having the other abilities would be really great. Else youre tethered to a dealer or high-tech shop anyway...

Of course I dont know if a generic type ABS/SRS scanner exists...

A friend has the laptop cable and VW/audi software. he likes it though its to the point where ts almost information overload and too many things that could potentially be tweaked.

JMH

An Actron live data one is $200 at Pepboys, live data is definately money well spent, especially with 02 sensors.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
You can get codes out of the OBD-I saturn with a paper clip stuck in the ALDL, then reset the CEL by pulling the battery terminal. Not pretty but it'll work.

That's why I probably don't want to pay much extra for an OBD I capable unit. Of course, I've tried the paper clip trick before when the EGR was on the fritz and the light didn't tell me anything.

A lot of brave people here buying high dollar items on Ebay! After I got (nearly) burned, I have a strict $25 Ebay limit.
wink.gif

Santa might be bringing me a code scanner this year. The problem is that Santa doesn't know very much about them, being as he drives a sleigh and all.

It looks like there are scanners and readers... some can reset the check engine light, some can't.

Some can only read OBD-II, some can go back to pre 1996 cars (OBD-I). Then there is something called enhanced OBD-II and CAN bus (supposed to be standard in 2008).

Actron and AutoXRay are the ones that seem most available. They all are handheld units. The under $200 ones read only OBD-II. The $200 ones can do some OBD-I as well (Actron CP9145 & AutoXRay EZ Read 2000). Looks like they all can reset the check engine light.

Then there are also some more expensive ones available that can do "live data", presumably graph parameters as you drive.

Besides the OBD-I capability, what would I be missing if Santa brings one of the under-$200 types? What capabilities would be gained by one of the over-$200 ones?

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
It looks like there are scanners and readers... some can reset the check engine light, some can't.

The cheapy $39 harbor freight tools generic OBDII code reader I have reads and will clear the codes. You cant get real time data, pending codes or anything fancy from it, just the codes that are locked in. You let it go thru it's scan 4x and it clears the codes. Takes less than a minute.
G/luck
Joel

"A lot of brave people here buying high dollar items on Ebay! After I got (nearly) burned, I have a strict $25 Ebay limit."

sorry 'bout that, never been burned and I've bought things for $500 an up (ea) numerous times. $800 camera, $600 lenses, $300 guitart amps, etc. It pays to check feedback....

back on topic: still looking for input on the Auto Enginuity tool. about $300 will get me the basic USB device, sw and toyota-uniques (I have 2 96+, and several more in extended family).

Looks to me like you can darn near do everything except steer the car from the laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back