Santa Barbara is on fire..... again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope anyone in that area is doing okay.

The is the 3rd major fire that area has had in less than a year. Last July was the "Gap" fire and in November the "Tea" fire destroyed 200 homes. This new "Jesusita" fire has areas of their downtown section on alert for evacuation and over 12,000 people have been evacuated with 75 homes burned. They may evacuate 6,000 more people.

Map

I know it's hard to just walk away from a piece of property, but on the other hand...it seems strange to rebuild in areas that seem to burn every year. It'd only take once for me and I'd be out. What a nightmare that must be.

Santa Barbara doesn't usually have fires that close to where people live. The previous two were arson.

This fire has a "perfect storm"; abnormally high temperatures with high wind conditions and their rainfall is 7" below normal.

That beauty (hills, warm dry sunshine, coastline, forest), which draws people to live in a certain area, can also wreak havoc to the area. The climate is conducive to wildfires, exacerbated by the fact that the spread out mansions are surrounded by landscaping "fuel". Earthquakes (earth movement) made the hills. The coastline can be hit with a tsunami anytime.

Come to boring old Michigan, where we have no hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, or out-of-control wildfires. Even tornadoes are rare.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The climate is conducive to wildfires, exacerbated by the fact that the spread out mansions are surrounded by landscaping "fuel".

The home owners can thank the over zealous greenies for the state restricting the triming of brush in an effort to provide habitat for animals.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
That beauty (hills, warm dry sunshine, coastline, forest), which draws people to live in a certain area, can also wreak havoc to the area. The climate is conducive to wildfires, exacerbated by the fact that the spread out mansions are surrounded by landscaping "fuel". Earthquakes (earth movement) made the hills. The coastline can be hit with a tsunami anytime.

Come to boring old Michigan, where we have no hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, or out-of-control wildfires. Even tornadoes are rare.

Very true. It's a risk people are willing to take I guess. Climate is tough to beat in S. Cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back