Sandy Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here in Hampton, VA, were starting to see the effects from hurricane sandy. I was wondering what you guys thought about driving through high water.

We live on an island on the lower east side of Hampton, and when it floods, the island is cut off. I just went out in my truck and took some pics, and got through just fine, but tonight at the next high tide, I don't think I will be so lucky. The water came up to the top of the step rails.

Here's a link to some pics I took and also the tide chart for right now. I plan to go out and get everything I need for the next day or so but My sister will have to come in tonight around 8 in a ford explorer and I'm worried. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tides

pics

Tell her to stay at a hotel. Storm surge can add many feet to a high tide level. Once the water gets up near the bottom of the bumper and step rails stay out of it!

I've done all I can do in preparation, now I'm going to take a ride along Ocean Parkway and check it out.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Tell her to stay at a hotel. Storm surge can add many feet to a high tide level. Once the water gets up near the bottom of the bumper and step rails stay out of it!

+1

I drove from Sarasota FL to Orlando through a tropical storm in a 1989 BMW325is.

I made it, no damage, no issues, but looking back, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

There are vents for your front and rear differentials that might be below water level. There is also the transmission vent, but that is higher. Some of the GM trucks (Trailblazers) had their emission vents under the truck which would ingest dirt and water and damage the system, but you have the larger size truck like mine, so I don't think you will have a problem with your emission system.

I think the rubber seal for the doors has a split/seam on the bottom which might let in a small amount of water. You could try to counter that by creating more pressure inside the cab by turning on your vent fan. Be sure the fan is set to outside air, and the windows are all closed. Recirculating inside air doesn't increase pressure.

edit - I didn't read you were taking about a Ford.

Last edited:
If the storm stays on it's current track, your location should be on the southern end of the circulation center and wind will blow out of the northwest off shore as it gets closer, but right now you're in the northeast flow of the circulation, hence the water rise. I personally wouldn't chance it, especially with your sister. A shift of 50 miles to the south and your area could be in the northeast quadrant of the circulation at landfall, and given those pictures, I wouldn't chance anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I would leave if I were looking @ that right now. You have the means...

+1

By 8 tonight, that area will be directly to the northwest of the circulation center and wind will be due east/northeast, piling the water into the Chesapeake Bay inlet. You can see it on the radar. If you're safe, I wouldn't dare chance it with your sister trying to get in there. Way too risky.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radbla...99&smooth=0

I would try to get out for today/tonight-if the forecast track is correct, as the hurricane passes the wind is going to shift to the NW & push all that water back out to sea by tomorrow.

Honestly, you need to evaluate this: Is being there going to lessen the damage? No, it will increase it by also including your truck. JMO. This is a perfect "no win" situation by remaining.

Last edited:

We know a little about storms around here and you have the best advice already. You live on an island? Get out! Storms are often unpredictable especially tracks and surge estimates. A few changes in the estimates and suddenly you're in BIG trouble, with little to no chance of escape! Just because you stay does not mean you can save anything or protect your property after the storm hits!

Don't be a hero.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue

We know a little about storms around here and you have the best advice already. You live on an island? Get out! Storms are often unpredictable especially tracks and surge estimates. A few changes in the estimates and suddenly you're in BIG trouble, with little to no chance of escape! Just because you stay does not mean you can save anything or protect your property after the storm hits!

Don't be a hero.

[joke]

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing. Water is surrounding the farmer’s home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up. The man in the boat says, “Jump in, and I’ll take you to safety.”

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.” The boat goes away. The water rises to the second story. Another boat comes up. The man says to the farmer, who is now at the second floor window, “Hurry, jump in. I’ll save you.”

The farmer again says, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The boat goes away. Now the water is inching over the roof. As the farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer, “I’ll save you. Climb the ladder.”

The farmer yells back, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The helicopter goes away. The water continues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof into the swiftly moving water. Unfortunately, he drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says, “What are you doing here?”

The farmer says, “I put my trust in you, and you let me down.”

God says, “What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

[/joke]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back