SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD - Errors/Corrupt after few weeks of use

I bought this from Costco

SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD -

It has been little over a month and I used it only for the last 2 weeks. Today, I found the disk unusable due to errors, read some reviews on amazon and others had the same experience.

Avoid if possible.

Last edited:
SSD's are not to the point yet where they make good back up drives (unless you spend very big bucks). I use them for boot-ups and operating systems. So far spinning rust is the best option out there for long term storrage and is what I use for backups and photographs.

SSD's are not to the point yet where they make good back up drives (unless you spend very big bucks). I use them for boot-ups and operating systems. So far spinning rust is the best option out there for long term storrage and is what I use for backups and photographs.

I moved to an SSD backup for our iPhones and iPads 64-256GB) because it’s much faster to do full offline backups. knocking on wood but no issues thus far, but I did have a thread sometime back where it was discussed thst they need to be energized and can corrupt memory...

yeah one guy lost 5 years of pics, ouch!

I need to burn my pics on dvd disks, can't trust magnetic media
I have two back ups for photos. You know, we think we are so advanced but can not even buy a product that will be guaranteed not to fail in storing photos. Go back in time, its called a photograph *L* amazing isnt it?

DIsc, SSD they can all fail. I almost trust disc more for back up as discs can be sometimes read, not so sure how this is done on a SSD. But granted SSD alone seems more reliable, yet two backups would be safest long term photo storage, they are so cheap.

https://www.howtogeek.com/322856/how-long-do-solid-state-drives-really-last/

Last edited:
I have two back ups for photos. You know, we think we are so advanced but can not even buy a product that will be guaranteed not to fail in storing photos. Go back in time, its called a photograph *L* amazing isnt it?

DIsc, SSD they can all fail. I almost trust disc more for back up as discs can be sometimes read, not so sure how this is done on a SSD. But granted SSD alone seems more reliable, yet two backups would be safest long term photo storage, they are so cheap.

https://www.howtogeek.com/322856/how-long-do-solid-state-drives-really-last/

Totally agree. Safe, secure backup should NOT be this difficult. I am nor running any RAID configuration. I have a small amount of data and about 70k images. I am using a Seagate SSD that is 3 years old and a 1 year old Samsung T7 SSD. I back up monthly and keep 1 drive offsite. I am planning on adding a 3rd drive next year :rolleyes:

I moved to an SSD backup for our iPhones and iPads 64-256GB) because it’s much faster to do full offline backups. knocking on wood but no issues thus far, but I did have a thread sometime back where it was discussed thst they need to be energized and can corrupt memory...
Yes, SSD's need to be regularly re-energized and that includes writing over sectors that already have stored data. Each time a sector is used to store data it contains a small electrical charge. Eventually this charge degrades and data is lost. There are programs available that will safely perform this task. The problem with spinning rust is they are mechanical and prone to mechanical fails. Still, they are considered the safest form of backup (even safer than magnetic tape). I'm using 1T and 5T spinning drives for back ups and they are, surprisingly, very fast. And yes, keep at least 2 back ups and 1 offsite if you can.

I wouldn't use an SSD for external backup for the data retention reason. These days SSD need to be regularly powered on to "read refresh" the data gradually, at least once a year at room temp but I'd say once a month is safer, over the whole drive, so it means power it on continuously for a few hour once a month. It is a PITA. Then there's the temperature tolerance not being as good as magnetic storage. So if you accidentally left it in a hot car for a week you probably will lose a lot of data.

I still have hard drive for long term backup. For short term I just network another computer to backup. I also duplicate my family photos and keep them at parents and inlaws house for off site backup. My WD Black from 2008 just died and I ended up restoring my photos from a 2003 Seagate 7200.3 (120GB), that thing is the most reliable drive I've ever had, still working after all these years running as a hot spare.

Yes, SSD's need to be regularly re-energized and that includes writing over sectors that already have stored data. Each time a sector is used to store data it contains a small electrical charge. Eventually this charge degrades and data is lost. There are programs available that will safely perform this task. The problem with spinning rust is they are mechanical and prone to mechanical fails. Still, they are considered the safest form of backup (even safer than magnetic tape). I'm using 1T and 5T spinning drives for back ups and they are, surprisingly, very fast. And yes, keep at least 2 back ups and 1 offsite if you can.
It doesn't really work that way (i.e. no external program needed). The internal health monitor will have an algorithm that uses a special NAND command, or a typical read command, to notify the NAND itself to refresh the charges that are "off". They won't wear out the drive like a program / erase cycle does. They do need to power on for a few hours at least once a month or so.

From my experience SanDisk SSDs are not on the same level as Samsung, Crucial and WD, had issues with them, never again.
I normally buy Crucial and sometimes WD (Blue) SSDs as computer internal ones.
Take the SSD back to Costco and get a refund. Always have a backup of a backup.

It doesn't really work that way (i.e. no external program needed). The internal health monitor will have an algorithm that uses a special NAND command, or a typical read command, to notify the NAND itself to refresh the charges that are "off". They won't wear out the drive like a program / erase cycle does. They do need to power on for a few hours at least once a month or so.
Partially true. Sectors need to be written over to re-establish it's electrical charge.

Partially true. Sectors need to be written over to re-establish it's electrical charge.

The nand (at least the Toshiba / SanDisk) will auto refresh with a read command, hence it is called read refresh cycle. It does not need to be erased then write, it is a "top off" recharge.

Be careful with Costco items. They've been outed in the past for Selling gray market lower end versions of a Similar brand. Maybe thats a possibility here? I've always had great luck with sandisk hdd and external hdd's

Back