Sanded grout and tile grout repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
There were a few questionable spots in the grout in our shower, plus the caulk is about 6 years ago, and was showing signs of discoloration, so I decided to work of it.

Using a variety of tools, mainly a painter's multi tool and a few razor blades, I cut out a trough in the grout between most tiles. This way I can re-grout, seal, re-caulk and have everything good until the point when we decide to gut our bathroom.

I went to HD, and am a bit confused. I saw that they had sanded and non-sanded grout, and that the sanded said it was for 1/4-1/2" gaps. Non sanded was for smaller gaps, down to 1/16". They had dry grout that you add water to, and premixed, which was for 1/16-1/2" gaps - a much wider range. I bought the premixed thinking that perhaps it had better stabilizers and was naturally more consistent. That may be wrong.

So I have this grout, which is premixed and good from tiny to large gaps. The particles in it are pretty big (sandy as opposed to the super fine stuff currently in there).

Is one better than the other, and is there any reason why I'd want to go sanded vs non sanded? The premixed one was not specific to what is is, but I'd assume sanded.

Also, any reason why I couldn't just add grout and work it with my hands, rather than using a float? It's not new work, and not every tile has had grout removed by me. Working it in by hand would be doable, and then I'd just work it with a grout sponge.

Thanks!

Its just like it says non sanded for small gaps sanded for bigger gaps. The sand make it harder to fill the small gaps but it isn't as strong as the grout with sand. Think like concrete without aggregate. Its going to flow better but its not nearly as strong.

You can head over to this website if you need to get a better idea what to do. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

Its basically like this forum is too oil but about tile.

Grout application is almost an art, I use a 30+ year pro for this.

DIY is actually most likely to work well on unsanded joints IMO. It's not science, but it does take skill to mix and apply correctly.

I would say the grout removal would be the hardest part anyway!

I'd save the sanded grout for floor applications. Get the powdered non-sand grout that you mix with water for larger areas. The premix stuff is OK for smaller touch up work. Proper tools, and application techniques are very helpful. It isn't a tough job, but it can be messy.

As an aside, those rotating reciprocating "renovator" tools get grout out good.

RE-application is different to original application,as in the original, application (and this is only IMO), part of the plan is to force grout under the edge of the tile, keying it in, and supporting the tile edge where the adhesive lines may not...

sanded/unsanded. Gaps, and not big gaps determine what you can use, but as mentioned, sanded is stronger. Some of the unsanded use glues to stick rather than pozzolanic reactions...I did a floor with them, and they didn't really bond to the tile edges, just filled the gap.

32.gif
I'm doing a downstairs laundry at the moment, and am targetting big gaps, but am making a grout using commercial sand cement mix, 50:50 with fly ash. ridiculous amount of pozzolans per unit weight, and the ash being spherical, and 5-50um acts like ball bearings...bucket bycol, liquid and super smooth. Marginally harder than sand grout at 24 hours, and bonds to tile edges, hardening massiveley over a month.

The thing that was odd to me was that the one brand specifically distinguished gap size, while the other said it was good from 1/16 to 1/2, which was a very big spread.

Set theory ?
sanded has a 6mm min gap to 12mm max- makes sense, it's got big particles.
non sanded has a min gap 3mm no maximum mentioned.
dry and premix cover the whole set.

All fit

I'm betting the one size fits all is more adhesive based than cementitious

Yeah, got premix thinking that I only needed a little, and that premix was perhaps more "shelf stable" than one I had to mix water into...

So premix is inherently ok for more of a range in gaps, even though it looks like it has fairly large particles?

I tried a small dab with my finger, worked it in, took a damp corner on a grout sponge, worked it more in a circle, and it went in great. Looks really good, at least while wet...

Guess ill stay with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back