SandBlast Rally in SC

Have any of you ever been to SandBlast rally in Cheraw/McBee? Its been getting on my radar pretty often recently, and given the close proximity - I'm starting to research the volunteer portion of things. It made me wonder if (by some 1 in a 1,000,000 chance) any BITOGers may already have a foot in the door and could provide some guidance on the process. Out of all forms of racing - rallying always attracted me the most. Driving may not be in the books quite yet (unless they hire people with no motorsport experience :LOL:), but being part of the process or event would be an amazing opportunity as well. The variety of vehicles and classes amazes me.

A lovely course indeed. Is this a once a year thing?
My MotoGP pal suggested I volunteer in Austin at the new track. You're close.

Looks like a heck of a lot more fun than spinning out and crashing your Ferraris and 'Vettes exiting parking lots in Florida.
That is what those videos show. I don't get that as a thing to do.

Never SandBlast, but I've been a pretty regular volunteer at SnoDrift and LSPR here in Michigan.

You typically start the volunteer journey as a marshal, posted up at some random intersection or spectator area to stop people from wandering onto the stage and keep them corralled in a safe area to spectate. Personally, I've always liked being posted at a quiet intersection with a radio operator versus a full-on spectator area. Either way, it's a good place to watch cars drive past and enjoy a day outside (bring a friend). In the video, you can see marshals posted on the left at 0:04 and what looks like a full spectator are at 2:04. Also based on the video, bring some type of face covering. Breathing dust, dirt, and sand all day sucks. I volunteered at Summer SnoDrift once and was blowing dirt out of my sinuses for a week.

Speaking of radio operator: If you're licensed, they're always looking for operators and love when they volunteer. Often, it's local radio clubs that end up supporting the rally. They enjoying being part of a practical application of their hobby.

If you're more interested in the sport, interacting with drivers and co-drivers, and less about watching cars drive past at speed, try to get into timing control. You get to learn about how a rally is timed, scored, and managed and use timing equipment most people don't have the opportunity to experience. Not quite as fun for a first timer who just wants to watch cars go fast.

Have been a few times in the past. the racers mainly travel together, like on a circuit. Varied backgrounds., cars,, and skill level. Website lists contact info. Or contact Becca at the Cheraw Chamber Of Commerce.

Never SandBlast, but I've been a pretty regular volunteer at SnoDrift and LSPR here in Michigan.

You typically start the volunteer journey as a marshal, posted up at some random intersection or spectator area to stop people from wandering onto the stage and keep them corralled in a safe area to spectate. Personally, I've always liked being posted at a quiet intersection with a radio operator versus a full-on spectator area. Either way, it's a good place to watch cars drive past and enjoy a day outside (bring a friend). In the video, you can see marshals posted on the left at 0:04 and what looks like a full spectator are at 2:04. Also based on the video, bring some type of face covering. Breathing dust, dirt, and sand all day sucks. I volunteered at Summer SnoDrift once and was blowing dirt out of my sinuses for a week.

Speaking of radio operator: If you're licensed, they're always looking for operators and love when they volunteer. Often, it's local radio clubs that end up supporting the rally. They enjoying being part of a practical application of their hobby.

If you're more interested in the sport, interacting with drivers and co-drivers, and less about watching cars drive past at speed, try to get into timing control. You get to learn about how a rally is timed, scored, and managed and use timing equipment most people don't have the opportunity to experience. Not quite as fun for a first timer who just wants to watch cars go fast.
Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Thank you, very helpful. I am FCC licensed from Avionics days in college, don't know if that counts, or if it's even effective anymore. Although watching cars go by does sound like something I would enjoy more in the beginning.
Wow, I have never heard of this event. I would like to go next year.
I only recently learned of it, but apparently it's been around since 2001.

Back