San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott told reporters robberies are down

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott told reporters robberies are down.

He added at the time that robberies were down in the city despite viral videos showing people brazenly shoplifting from stores in the city.

I think missing is the word "reported". Reported robberies may in fact be down. Also the definition of robbery may have changed. A good definition of words count, sexual assault and rape are defined by each state in the USA. One example, in the state of Pennsylvania a man can't rape another man (but a man can sexually assault another man).

People often don't report a crime if the authorities are not going to do anything about it/ prosecute the crime. With California's current California Penal Code, not sure I would waste my time reporting crime in California.

An additional note- The city of San Francisco reported 119 shootings, both fatal and non-fatal, for the first six months of 2021, compared to 58 in the first half of last year.

Last edited:
....and yet SFO has some of the highest real estate values in the country. It is a great city, we lived in Silicon Valley for a while and loved SFO; great food, good walkable neighborhoods, good weather and a booming economy.... Like any major city, keep your head on a swivel and avoid the bad areas, although the homeless are a problem everywhere there.

BTW you make valid and accurate points on the crime, semantics and current state of CA's leadership, but that is as far as we can go here......

The stores have to be paid for the goods going out the door in order to buy more goods to put back on the shelf. Maybe they are just out of things/closing down? $949 is a lot to get away with stealing. I've had a small retail shop kindof thing and i don't think anyone has ever stolen a thing from it in 10+ years.

....and yet SFO has some of the highest real estate values in the country. It is a great city, we lived in Silicon Valley for a while and loved SFO; great food, good walkable neighborhoods, good weather and a booming economy.... Like any major city, keep your head on a swivel and avoid the bad areas, although the homeless are a problem everywhere there.

BTW you make valid and accurate points on the crime, semantics and current state of CA's leadership, but that is as far as we can go here......
If I win the lotto (I only play if over 200 million ), I would move to CA in a heartbeat.

CA is awesome if one has a vault full of gold. Crime against people without voices (middle class, etc) is another subject.

Last edited:
When a certain political party decides to make a lot of crimes that were formerly felonies into misdemeanors, and then not even arrest a lot of the perps or drop the charges, they can then claim crime is down. Same with releasing huge numbers of prisoners due to "overcrowding" or Covid 19 concerns, they then crow about how prison populations are down under their administration hoping the dumbed down populace somehow equates lower prison populations with lower crime rates.

This is part of the "gaslighting" that is occurring lately and with the sycophantic mainstream media playing along with it.
By the way, what do you want to bet that the majority of people who are using the "gaslighting" term have no idea where it came from ?

If I win the lotto (I only play if over 200 million ), I would move to CA in a heartbeat.

CA is awesome if one has a vault full of gold. Crime against people without voices (middle class, etc) is another subject.
Agree. We moved back for family reasons. I really like the areas East of the East Bay and South of San Jose. I can only take Silicon Valley in measured doses and SFO is great to visit or have a condo there as long as you can escape.

When the subject comes up I respond "California has all of the good and especially the bad parts of living in Massachusetts, but with the best weather in the country"

Look up the histories of the San Francisco Vigilance Committees of 1851 and 1856. I wonder how long the people of that formerly great city are going to put up with the current situation before they revert to a similar solution to a similar problem?
Vigilantes got a bad name when the term was applied to anti civil rights racists in the early 20th century. San Francisco was a completely different story. Vigilantes there restored civil law when the police were either unwilling or unable to do so.

The stores have to be paid for the goods going out the door in order to buy more goods to put back on the shelf. Maybe they are just out of things/closing down? $949 is a lot to get away with stealing. I've had a small retail shop kindof thing and i don't think anyone has ever stolen a thing from it in 10+ years.
Well you must be the only one? Statically speaking look into how many humans thieve! I use to work for Davis Security (Polygraph Technician Operator )and I think it was 1 out of 5 people have stolen something in their lifetime.

Yeah i'm in a great location, have cameras, sell stuff that is not popular with most of the population nor is it easy to resell. Now online fraud has hit us many times. People buy something and claim it never arrived or return an order with something worthless in the box and get Amazon to refund them.

Look up the histories of the San Francisco Vigilance Committees of 1851 and 1856. I wonder how long the people of that formerly great city are going to put up with the current situation before they revert to a similar solution to a similar problem?
Vigilantes got a bad name when the term was applied to anti civil rights racists in the early 20th century. San Francisco was a completely different story. Vigilantes there restored civil law when the police were either unwilling or unable to do so.
AMRZ,

Not familiar with the "the San Francisco Vigilance Committees". I will be researching that tonight- thanks for mentioning.

I am fluent in security/ protection of property and life (have a masters degree in it- sure you happy for me...).

Having worked in many countries like Guyana, Grenada, Ecuador, Tanzania, Kenya.... I am very familiar with private businesses having physical security with semi-automatic/ automatic weapons outside the entrance to their businesses. Seeing a armed guard actively patrolling the interior of a retail space in a Columbia, South Carolina Wal-Mart last week---- wondered if USA will start to see heavily armed security in front of storefronts in the not to distant future.

Guardian Angels were punks and caused more trouble behind the news reporting all there supposedly good deeds..​

I lived through those times and often when visiting some cities as a tourist with them they acted like self appointed protectors disregarding many regulations and laws and often committing torts of physical attacks against individuals.

In before the lock.

Crime has always been around, back in the 80s and prior certain neighborhood has drive by shootings. You do know Oakland is a "ghost town" back in the days because it is the homicide capital of US. Same with East Palo Alto, East San Jose, Silver / Grant / Hunters Point, etc. Things get gentrified with the real estate boom in the 90s to 2019 or so and some of these neighborhood got "cleaned up". Those guys moved to Vallejo and Richmond (the city, not the neighborhood) when those former slum gentrify. I think East Palo Alto is fast approaching million dollar despite some shooting once in a while.

The recent change in rent control (not the eviction ban) that allow landlord to evict tenants as public nuisance likely will help keep the law abiding low income tenants and evict those who caused police raids. My first apartment after my first job I was begged by the apartment manager not to cause a police raid no matter what, in Menlo Park. That's right before Facebook decided to move into the former Sun Micro office. Now that place is a tech bro neighborhood. So obviously the crime is down.

The recent trend is due to not prosecuting anything below $1k so criminal focus on small grab and go for risk reward reason. Reduce pedestrian traffic always leads to more robbery just like night time robbery is easier to getaway than broad daylight.

Last edited:
San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott told reporters robberies are down.

He added at the time that robberies were down in the city despite viral videos showing people brazenly shoplifting from stores in the city.

I think missing is the word "reported". Reported robberies may in fact be down. Also the definition of robbery may have changed. A good definition of words count, sexual assault and rape are defined by each state in the USA. One example, in the state of Pennsylvania a man can't rape another man (but a man can sexually assault another man).

People often don't report a crime if the authorities are not going to do anything about it/ prosecute the crime. With California's current California Penal Code, not sure I would waste my time reporting crime in California.

An additional note- The city of San Francisco reported 119 shootings, both fatal and non-fatal, for the first six months of 2021, compared to 58 in the first half of last year.

It's often not only a total waste of time reporting property crimes that will go unsolved or not-investigated, but it also hurts your own property value.

One thing buyers/renters will do before picking a neighborhood is to look at the crime statistics. Ironically crimes then repeatedly victimize the victim by harming property values.

In other news, it is the position of these "leaders" that the crimes are "mostly peaceful."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back