Samsung smart tv hub not loading Weathernation app after new internet service

So I upgraded my internet service yesterday to 250mbps up and down. They installed a new router. Works pretty good on all devices except my Samsung smart tv. I have several apps on it (sling, hbo max, netflix, etc) and they all work good except for Weathernation app and the weather channel app, (yes I love weather).

Weathernation won't load the video at all, and Weather channel takes forever to load. I have reset the tv, deleted the apps and reloaded, reset smart hub, reset the internet connection, and have tried wired and wireless connections. Internet tech support says it's not their problem as the connection checks out good. Said to call Samsung.

If somebody has these apps on their Samsung TV could you please let me know if they are working okay. Tv is a 65" about three years old. Never had an issue with the apps before.

Ideas?

You should login to the routers web portal and check/validate the settings and look at logs while trying to connect. the new router may have a feature that is causing trouble. Google the router model see if anyone has similar issue and look for good settings if you're not sure.

My first thought is that your new ISP will have given you a new IP address; possibly rotating different ones over periods of time. I will presume you have an account with these services/ apps and I wonder if the sudden new IP addresses (which may also imply a different location - geodetection if IP addresses is far from perfect) are causing the app(s) to step on their you-know-whats.

My second thought is that these apps may require communication using protocols and ports that your new router - at least in its default configuration - may be blocking.

Third thought, since we're dealing with "taking forever" as opposed to flat-out "not working" is that maybe the new router has some odd QoS (Quality of Service) "feature" that is bandwidth-limiting the Samsung TV, to the point that certain network operations initiated by the TV are timing out.

The first thing I'd do is set my router to allow the TV as a "DMZ" (De-Militarized Zone) so the router does not impose any restrictions on the TV's traffic. If that clears things up, then the next step'd be figuring out what ports/ protocols the app(s) are trying to use that the router is flipping out about.

My first thought is that your new ISP will have given you a new IP address; possibly rotating different ones over periods of time. I will presume you have an account with these services/ apps and I wonder if the sudden new IP addresses (which may also imply a different location - geodetection if IP addresses is far from perfect) are causing the app(s) to step on their you-know-whats.

My second thought is that these apps may require communication using protocols and ports that your new router - at least in its default configuration - may be blocking.

Third thought, since we're dealing with "taking forever" as opposed to flat-out "not working" is that maybe the new router has some odd QoS (Quality of Service) "feature" that is bandwidth-limiting the Samsung TV, to the point that certain network operations initiated by the TV are timing out.

The first thing I'd do is set my router to allow the TV as a "DMZ" (De-Militarized Zone) so the router does not impose any restrictions on the TV's traffic. If that clears things up, then the next step'd be figuring out what ports/ protocols the app(s) are trying to use that the router is flipping out about.
I think I figured it out. On a whim I changed out the DNS to 8 8 8 8 and it seems like it's working.

Reactions: JC1
I think I figured it out. On a whim I changed out the DNS to 8 8 8 8 and it seems like it's working.
Ah - so maybe your new ISP's DNS service just stinks? Anyhow, 8.8.8.8 might be best backed up by 8.8.4.4, which is also Google. I'd bet my boots that your router allows for input of more than one DNS server. Other really good DNS providers are Cloudflare and OpenDNS.

Ah - so maybe your new ISP's DNS service just stinks? Anyhow, 8.8.8.8 might be best backed up by 8.8.4.4, which is also Google. I'd bet my boots that your router allows for input of more than one DNS server. Other really good DNS providers are Cloudflare and OpenDNS.
Will try it thanks! I have 250mbps both ways but sometimes it's in the 190 range.

My TV only has the input for four digits.
I think you'll find you are able to put it in. Alternatively, you could go into your router and configure the DHCP server to hand out those two IP's for DNS instead of your ISP ones, which is probably an even better idea.

I think you'll find you are able to put it in. Alternatively, you could go into your router and configure the DHCP server to hand out those two IP's for DNS instead of your ISP ones, which is probably an even better idea.
The app for the router is very basic. No way to get into the advanced settings that I know of

I started losing smart functionality in my Samsung a couple of years after purchase. It seemed every other month I’d see banner at the top of the screen denoting one or another function or app that was no longer supported.

I ended up buying an Amazon FireTV which has fixed every single issue I ever had with my smart TV functionality. I didn’t even give our newest Samsung a chance - I immediately added a second FireTV to it. Flawless.

Back