Samsung 840 Pro SSD in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Well...wait: I thought I wasn't able to do that, but it looked like it DID ?? I also remember having to adjust its size...
Yeah, but you still have about 10GB of wasted space there. This is what I ended up trimming after the migration.

Quote:
Now, is there anything like a test I can do to do CONFIRM that it indeed replicate the OEM rec. partition?

Good question. No idea. I'm actually second guessing myself whether it even makes sense to keep it. I already made a recovery media (on an SD card) that I can use to do a full restore, so this recovery partition is kind of redundant.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Wow, that is a slow boot time for a SSD! My laptop with a standard hard drive takes about 45 seconds from power button on to logging on and connecting to wifi. How old is your computer?

+1

My MBP literally boots in a second from the push of the power button. By the time the screen is powered and lit, Im at the logon prompt, from full power down.

That said, I just put one of these in my wife's MBP, which is IIRC a 2009. It does take some seconds to boot up and load, and I did a clone. My MBP is just over a year old, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My MBP literally boots in a second from the push of the power button. By the time the screen is powered and lit, Im at the logon prompt, from full power down.

We weren't talking about time to logon prompt.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

We weren't talking about time to logon prompt.

Sorry, there is no delay for anything to show up or operate after I put in my password, so the system is totally booted and loaded. Of course its a mac so it may be different.

So just for kicks, I did a test on my other computer, which I was actively working on/from. It hadnt been rebooted in 37 days so it was a good time to do so...

Now, this is a 2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHz C2D, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 and a 256BG SSD.

A good deal less capable than my MBP, which is a 2.6GHz i7 Quad core with 6MB L3 and 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L and a 512GB SSD.

I count 27 seconds from button push to verification that the items in the dashboard are running, including the 1-2s latency of me mousing there to open the dashboard...

Why any computer would take over a minute when running an SSD is beyond me. The specs on the test computer here are pretty poor, compared to the OPs, which are more like my MBP.

Lenovo T520, i7 Sandy Bridge, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit. 8GB RAM.
FHD display.
SATA III and AHCI is all enabled.

I boot off the exact same SSD and have a 22 second boot time. Thats on an I7 4790 CPU and 8gb ram. It only has a 5.9 Windows Experience score though. I'm sure it can improve with some tinkering.

So any idea why mine is slower then? I did not do a clean install of Win 7, BTW.
I have disabled may start up processes i didn't need.
I don't reboot my laptop that often, so I am not worried, just curious. Main thing is the laptop operates at lightening speed once it's booted and programs function great.

But I am still curious. Although the SSD increased the boot up speed a lot, it's still about 45 seconds..... wonder why?

I do NOT have the turbo boost/rapid mode on with the SSD, FYI.

Why any computer would take over a minute when running an SSD is beyond me. The specs on the test computer here are pretty poor, compared to the OPs, which are more like my MBP.

Lenovo T520, i7 Sandy Bridge, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit. 8GB RAM.
FHD display.
SATA III and AHCI is all enabled.

Whose laptop takes over a min with SSD? just to clarify my OLD boot time was 2 min. or so.
AFTER SSD it's now about 44-45 seconds.
Disregard if you were referring to someone else's laptop with an SSD

My laptop with a SanDisk SSD takes just over 19 seconds to power up to the desktop and be connected to the WiFi. This is from a shutdown, not a restart. Also that is right from pressing the power button, so that includes BIOS and POST time.

Without counting BIOS and POST time, it's about 10 seconds to the desktop and being connected to the WiFi.

Whose laptop takes over a min with SSD? just to clarify my OLD boot time was 2 min. or so.
AFTER SSD it's now about 44-45 seconds.
Disregard if you were referring to someone else's laptop with an SSD

I saw this:

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am just a bit worried that the boot times are not in 20 sec range as a lot of people yell about.

Don't feel bad. After putting in an SSD in my Lenovo X230, my boot time is 1 minute and 45 seconds. It was more than 3 minutes before that.

And, 44-45s is still rather long, IMO, again, given the specs of my oldish laptop... running the absolute latest OS.

OK. Impressive list of times. I get the point.
smile.gif

and yes 44 sec's is long; also got that
smile.gif

Anyone want to take a stab at suggestions or have questions for me, so I can expand on any info needed to suggest anything that might HELP in solving the 44 sec boot time?

Again: i did NOT do a clean install of Win 7. I guess I am not going to 8.1 anytime soon, so there IS still a point in doing a clean install of Win 7?

the longest pause (black screen) occurs RIGHT BEFORE the log on screen (where it asks for PW) appears. After that and before that, everything goes pretty snappy. I am going to make a video today and post here so some of you can take a look and take a few guesses...

I would say the main thing is that you didn't do a clean install of Win 7. I would always recommend doing the clean install vs. moving everything to the SSD.

The other thing is my laptop is running Linux Mint so you can't compare it very well to a Windows laptop.

OK. Impressive list of times. I get the point.
smile.gif

and yes 44 sec's is long; also got that
smile.gif

Anyone want to take a stab at suggestions or have questions for me, so I can expand on any info needed to suggest anything that might HELP in solving the 44 sec boot time?

Again: i did NOT do a clean install of Win 7. I guess I am not going to 8.1 anytime soon, so there IS still a point in doing a clean install of Win 7?

the longest pause (black screen) occurs RIGHT BEFORE the log on screen (where it asks for PW) appears. After that and before that, everything goes pretty snappy. I am going to make a video today and post here so some of you can take a look and take a few guesses...

Are you sure all the Trim, garbage cleanup, and optimization of the blocks of memory?

Pretty sure - this is the Magician screenshot...
only thing (SSD wise) not enabled is Rapid Mode of the SSD but I doubt it will contribute to boot speeds...(?)
- what do you mean by garbage cleanup ?
Here's a screen shot:

Last edited:

Honestly, other than doing a fresh Windows install, I don't think there is much you can do.

Yeah.
I am contemplating (mostly because I reboot only if it's necessary for some AW update/install etc) the fact that Windows 7 support ending soon and Windows 10 coming in mid 2015 (?), if I should go to the trouble at all...

Because if our laptops migrate to win 10, then I will have to go through all the driver installs and BIOS updates whatnot all over again in a few months.

If windows 10 is available that soon, I don't see the point in messing with 8.1 right now, either. (for the same reason: whatever driver/BIOS updates I need for that, I am gonna need to do anyway for Win 10 - might as well wait.)

This is *assuming* our laptops will be able to run Win 10 - from the little checking I did, they should be able to.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back