Same Valvoline bottles as U. S !!! Yipee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a five litre bottle of Valvoline at Walmart!
grin2.gif
10.gif

Is it possible the latest gen of bottle making machines now just makes this shape? Just because the container is the same doesn't mean that the stuff inside is the same.

Interesting link.

I don't think we have Valvoline oil filters around here, except probably at the Valvoline oil change shop. I miss the Valvoline Maxlife oil filters, which were made by Purolator and had the threaded end bypass for the FL1A version.

Also, what is this "Engine Armor" stuff? Is that what they call Maxlife over there. I like it, great name. I want some!

I've not seen the big jugs of VR1 either.

Where is the Premium Conventional or White Bottle Valvoline?

Rather risky, don't you think? They have a 5w-30 in there. What are they thinking?? 'at's for d'or'inges.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Rather risky, don't you think? They have a 5w-30 in there. What are they thinking?? 'at's for d'or'inges.
Gad!
shocked2.gif
That must be for foreigners who come to live in Australia. Real Australians never use 5w30!

Maybe its good for roller blades. I've been told real auzzies(well you probably don't call yourselves that) use only 40w70oils. I guess that's while there waiting for the tar to run out of the can.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Interesting link.

I don't think we have Valvoline oil filters around here, except probably at the Valvoline oil change shop. I miss the Valvoline Maxlife oil filters, which were made by Purolator and had the threaded end bypass for the FL1A version.

Also, what is this "Engine Armor" stuff? Is that what they call Maxlife over there. I like it, great name. I want some!

I've not seen the big jugs of VR1 either.

Where is the Premium Conventional or White Bottle Valvoline?

No we have Maxlife but only in 20W50. Yes Engine Armour like alot of other blends from the big brands here is probably GRoup 1 with a smack of group 3 and lots of additives.....i cannot confirm this, i am only assuming. It is well priced as well.

The Valvoline filters arent that famous anymore, apparently have slits in the filter media for when it blocks up etc.......

The VR1 again only comes in 10W40 where as U.S is mainly 20W50 ???

I really dont know what Ashland are upto down here, but i enjoy their Durablend (Group 1 and 3) and Synpower (Group 3) which i am currently using.

VR1 in Australia used to come in 20W50.

Before Valvoline changed their websbite from data and information based to description based, I believe Synpower 0W40 was mainly consisted of Grp IV base oil. That is different from the usual 5W40.

Durablend has the widest selections of SAE ranges.

It would be nice if they still have the specs of Maxlife on their websbite. Not until they put the specs on their website again, I will feel confident in using their products. No matter how they change their bottles.

VR1 in US supposed to be available in 30, 40, 50, 60, 10w30, and 20w50.

Durablend here also come in 15w40, but hard to find that grade.

A couple years ago you could get Maxlife in straight 30 weight.

That fair, they used to have a pop up for each oil with description, rating, etc now you have to email them for everything. I do belieev however they are working on the site and everything does not work on it...

Originally Posted By: vxcalais

cease using Group 1 in 80% of their oils as the U.S has...

what oils here have a fair proportion or are predominantly Group I ?

Shell use group 1 in there red and yellow bottle, Helix pLus is group 3 blended with group 1. Valvoline Durablend is also GP3 with group 1. Rest of range is the same except for Synpower which is group 3. Castrol is also group 1 in the GTX range, including the Magnatec. They may possibley be reaching SM with Group 2, but i am sure its Group 1 with group 3 blends or ester. Edge range is Synthetic Penrite use majority Group 1, the semi synths again all blended with group 3. Everyday Synth is group 3, Sin range is PAO and Ester. Mobil use Group 1 in their Super 2000 range and 1000 range. Super 3000 range is Group 3 and MObil 1 is PAO and whatever is discussed on here on numerous occasions. Even Pennzoil who are not that big here are GRoup 1, even when they dont use it in the U.S anymore. Because most of them are blended in Singapore by Shell, using GRoup 1, most of Shell oils are only SL still. Platinum and some of the diesels are group 3 and group 2 due to fantastic specs, and High mileage is now exactly the same as U.S specs, same tech sheet. The Synthetic blend they have told be is group 1 and 3 blended in Singapore. All their others are group 1. Even though Johnny told me U.S Pennzoil dont use Group 1, we still imprt Group 1 Pennsoil the GT Streetmachine was GRoup 1 they told be. I still have all the emails somewhere. Caltex i am sure still blend with GRoup 1. THey all use GRoup 1 in all exept the Synthetics and some of the Diesel oils.

Who else is left ??? These are the main oils on the Shelves as K-Mart, Supercheap, Repco and Autobarn..... If any of these oils can be confirmed to me to be at least Group 2 and above or proven otherwise i will use them.

I have asked this question here before about our base oils, MObil, Shell etc are only refining GRoup 1 here, due to its quality i am told. Group 3 from Korea and Singapore. I am not sure where the PAO and Ester is from for Aussie blended oils (Mobil 1 etc).

Last edited:
I had no idea that much group I was used in Auz....I though hardly anyone used it in 'Western' countries....thought everything had moved to group II or better?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
No wonder you Aussies like to use pudding to "protect" your engines, most of what's available is Group 1 garbage.

It does actually make sense hehe. It must be all they can refine from our own oils much like your Pennsylvania crude. I honestly believe group 2 is quite rare used mainly in the diesel blends like Delo 400 and Delvac MX. It hurts
frown.gif
to see how your cheaper oils are such good quality. Even same name, same brand oils are not equal.

Remember we only have 20 million people, and plenty of inferior quality oil, so we try not to waste hehe, even if its Group 1. SO our market is not as big, but i believe the 5000k's change that people love here so much has kept them going.

Last edited:
There are choices out there.

Edge Sport 5w30 is called fully syn. It is mainly Grp III and frequently sells for $30 for 5L.

Edge 0w40 is mainly Grp IV and we have seen the price of $50 for 5L.

Durablend and Super 2000, is semi syn and a mix of Grp III and I, but why worry, it got a rating of API SM. Whether it has more Grp III and Grp I as the carrier, that is a technical question and I don't have the answer.

My point is that there are choices out there. I believe that there are older vehicles out there still demanding other "thick" oil. These "thick" oils make up half of our market and futhermore, we don't see 20wt oils here selling in normal retail stores. People are just grabbing what their daddys used to buy. The market won't change if people don't.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
No wonder you Aussies like to use pudding to "protect" your engines, most of what's available is Group 1 garbage.

Oh ..so (non-synthetic) oil spec's in other places are so high in viscosity not due to high viscosity producing lower wear as some assert? That is, it's required to allow normal wear ..where we don't need such compensating actions?

Who knew?

Originally Posted By: slidetaker
There are choices out there.

Edge Sport 5w30 is called fully syn. It is mainly Grp III and frequently sells for $30 for 5L.

Edge 0w40 is mainly Grp IV and we have seen the price of $50 for 5L.

Durablend and Super 2000, is semi syn and a mix of Grp III and I, but why worry, it got a rating of API SM. Whether it has more Grp III and Grp I as the carrier, that is a technical question and I don't have the answer.

My point is that there are choices out there. I believe that there are older vehicles out there still demanding other "thick" oil. These "thick" oils make up half of our market and futhermore, we don't see 20wt oils here selling in normal retail stores. People are just grabbing what their daddys used to buy. The market won't change if people don't.

I mentioned those ones as Synth. Slidetaker i take your point, but i have asked the questioned on here if they would use an oil with GRoup 1 in it, even if it passed SM rating, and those in the know said NO ! The semi synths that we have if you have a look is like 10% Only major Semi i know of is Gulf Western Protecta Ultra, SL rated with 30% PAO and rest GRoup 1. Even then people advised against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back