Same Oil for every vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
now i understand that you can't use the same exact oil in every vehicle you have so we will say type as in gasoline cars, gas trucks, diesel cars, diesel trucks whatnot.

So is there anyone out there that uses only one kind of oil for their types of vehicles and never deviates to another brand?

If you go to major brand you certainly do not have to switch brands. However, I'm not sure why you would not. Nothing wrong with buying on price.

If you use the Ford fleet since 1991 you could cover all engines with 4 grades: 5w20, 5w30, 5w50 (1 supercharged engine), 15w40 (some diesels). If you wanted to get the number down, there is little harm (slight loss in fuel efficiency and power) by using 5w30 in all the ones suggesting 5w20.

http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_... Applications and Crankcase Capacities Chart"

I just have one truck and one car. The car's owners' manual says 5W-30. The truck's says 10W-30. Of course, it was printed in 1977. I retrofitted it to 5W-30 in 1992 when I started buying it for my last car. I haven't bought anything except Pennzoil 5W-30 since then. Additive clash isn't likely, but if I ever have an oil related problem, Pennzoil better have a good excuse. They can't blame it on using a different oil. I always know what is in the crankcase, and if I suddenly need oil, likely I can find my Pennzoil 5W-30.

Pennzoil or Castrol -- unless it's free oil ... like recently with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic where I was rebated $52 for two OCIs-worth.

Can't pass-up free synthetic oil from any major oil manufacturer/producer/bottler

Amsoil ACD 10-30/30 wt. Dual rated in all the following:

1. 6.9 International Diesel

2. 3.8 Mopar

3. 1.6 Suzuki

4. 318 Mopar

5. 440 and 400 Mopars

If I was smart, I would buy a 50gal barrel
pat.gif

I pretty much stick with Maxlife products just because I like it. I do use some synpower and durablend products too.

But I only have one truck...

I was this way until about 2 years ago. Now I buy anything that meets spec for what the OEM calls for in that particular application. The only exception to this is my truck, it has only seen two brands of oil, and I predict that will remain a constant for the rest of its life. I broke the brand loyalty habit because of the knowledge I gained from this site.

My mind was molded back in the day when the old-timers who told me everything had gained their experience in the days of only group 1 base oils. So, this is why I developed a brand preference, because back in the day there was a noticeable difference between brands. With the advent of hydrocracking the gap has closed to just a blip on the radar that is only noticed with sophisticated equipment.

I'm pretty confident that a 0W-30 HDEO such as Esso XD-3 0W-30 (or Amsoil 0W-30)could be run in pretty much every vehicle on the road, whether a 5W-20 requiring-vehicle, or a diesel spec'ing a xW-40.

The 5W-20 might burn slightly more fuel than spec, and the diesel might wear at a slightly faster rate, but diesel/petrol dual rated 'thick' 0W-30 can cover off all requirements.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Pennzoil or Castrol -- unless it's free oil ... like recently with Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic where I was rebated $52 for two OCIs-worth.

Can't pass-up free synthetic oil from any major oil manufacturer/producer/bottler

Ditto.....
cheers.gif
Free is better
grin.gif

I use one oil, all vehicles, gas and diesel, liquid cooleed and air cooled, over head cam, over head valve, flat head valve, for all seasons (summer and winter), Mobil 1 5w-40.

2005 Ford Taurus
2004 Ford F250 Superduty (gas)
1993 Ford Mustang 5.0
1889 Ford F250 HD (gas)
1960 Ford 6000 tractor (diesel)
1950 Ford 8N tractor (gas)
14hp briggs generator
17hp Deere LX188 mower
17.5hp Deere L110 mower
5hp Honda pressure washer
plus push mowers, tiller, etc.

Philip

JK, you actually CAN run the exact same oil in every vehicle you have most of the time. We used to run 15W-40 in everything (Kendall Super-D III for years, but Schaeffer, Cenex, and other stuff as well depending upon the timeframe). 'Everything' meant several tractors of various sizes and power ratings, several medium and heavy trucks with both gasoline and diesel engines, all the pickups (ranging from American V-8s and V-6s to imported inline-4s to a rotary Mazda), four-wheelers, motorcycles, the Bobcat, and passenger vehicles with all different types of engines.

It seems possible to me that in some circumstances (not very many given our usage patterns, but some) we may have been giving away longevity of some of the small passenger vehicles by using that grade instead of a 10W30 or 5W30, but the tradeoff of using too light an oil in the tractors was not acceptable.

[ August 21, 2006, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: bulwnkl ]

5w-30 Schaeffers supreme 7000 will work in most if not all gas engines,some run it in diesel with fine results,depending on viscosity or Wis.climate,,also the 9000 5w-40 is a super oil,as even more versatile,,BL

I run only valvoline. I've run others, but I'm sticking with Synpower if my UOA comes out ok this time on my extended OCI.

Here's another vote for the Amsoil 10w-30/30 ACD.

Currently it's in:
2002 Subaru Outback 3.0L
2004 CubCadet RZT50 w/ 22HP Briggs
1999 Craftsman snow thrower w/ 5.5HP Tecumseh
2005 Generac w/ 7.8HP Briggs

Next oil change on the 1997 Subaru Impreza 2.2L, it's going in there too.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back