Same engine,different region,different oil grade,why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BMW 740 in Hong Kong, prefer 15W40 or 20W50 in temperature range above -5'C and 5W30 only if temperature is below 0'C. But as I know, almost all BMW in North America prefer 5W30 or ?W30 for all regions, including Florida and California. The climates in Hong Kong and Florida are almost the same,no snow in winter, humid, over 30'C in summer. So why BMW prefer different oil grade in this two regions? Does BMW actually make different kind of engine for different regions?

quote:

Originally posted by hungdynasty:
I have a BMW 740 in Hong Kong, prefer 15W40 or 20W50 in temperature range above -5'C and 5W30 only if temperature is below 0'C. But as I know, almost all BMW in North America prefer 5W30 or ?W30 for all regions, including Florida and California. The climates in Hong Kong and Florida are almost the same,no snow in winter, humid, over 30'C in summer. So why BMW prefer different oil grade in this two regions? Does BMW actually make different kind of engine for different regions?

have noticed this also!

Cars that have the same engines in the USA in Australia will recommend 20w 50's where in the states there going for 5w 30's.

I was once told it's because they have much tighter pollution laws and manufacture requirements to pass and comply with.

I'm wondering how the oil grade regarding to those pollution laws. Is it like using thicker oil makes the engine burn more fuel and creat pollution??
grin.gif
Just kidding. All I'm concerned is that for my BMW there is no way to use 5W30 in hot region(like Hong Kong and Florida) according to my owner's manual because 5W30 is so thin that it may actually cause engine damage but it's definitely not the case in Florida according to BMW America.
confused.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by hungdynasty:
. Is it like using thicker oil makes the engine burn more fuel and creat pollution??
grin.gif
Just kidding.

Actually that is the reason for the thinner oils here in the U.S.

That confuse me again.
quote:

Actually that is the reason for the thinner oils here in the U.S.

What you said Al means in fact 5W30 is safe to use in BMW engine physically not only in North America but also in worldwide in any climate and cause less pollution. This is a real benefit to anywhere in the world so why don't they recommend 5W30 in Hong Kong or Australia?
dunno.gif

Also the pollution laws in Europe may be even tighter than those in U.S. but I think most Europe automakers recommand 5W50.
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif

quote:

This is a real benefit to anywhere in the world so why don't they recommend 5W30 in Hong Kong or Australia?

Manufacturers spec thinner oils for the US to boost their Corporate Average Fuel Economy ratings. I also suspect that they spec the oil that is most suitable across the whole temperature range that US customers will see: Maine to Florida, winter to summer. Knowing Americans' maintenance habits, BMW knows that it's easier to spec one oil than to expect customers to actually select their oil based upon their driving and climate needs.

MR

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:

quote:

This is a real benefit to anywhere in the world so why don't they recommend 5W30 in Hong Kong or Australia?

Manufacturers spec thinner oils for the US to boost their Corporate Average Fuel Economy ratings. I also suspect that they spec the oil that is most suitable across the whole temperature range that US customers will see: Maine to Florida, winter to summer. Knowing Americans' maintenance habits, BMW knows that it's easier to spec one oil than to expect customers to actually select their oil based upon their driving and climate needs.

MR

MikeR, so are you saying that both oils are fine for the engine and one oil is better for the environment and mpg. I would think that bmw would just recommend the 5w30 for everyone if it performed as well/better? This is a very good question. I would love to know the answer??

quote:

BMW 740 in Hong Kong, prefer 15W40 or 20W50 in temperature range above -5'C and 5W30 only if temperature is below 0'C. But as I know, almost all BMW in North America prefer 5W30 or ?W30 for all regions, including Florida and California.

Are the OCIs identical? That is, the new spec (5xx.5?) for the Euros is for extended OCI. They would appear to have an energy policy for conserving lubrication products as opposed to the North American energy policies that make fuel consumption king in this regard. The XOCI may require the heavier weight to meet this criteria.

All we can do is take educated guesses...here's what I come up with:

1. The temp-range/viscosity chart you are referring to is correct for standard dino oils. ie. a dino 5-30 should not be used in temps over 5C over the European OCI range.

2. 5-30 is OK for short OCI's...ie. the U.S. mantra of 3k OCI's in low-revving/low-stress pushrod engines driven at low speeds (US highways) in disposable-quality US cars.

3. Euro-cars are usually built with a make-em-to-last mentality. Thin oils don't go along with this line of thinking. Nor does wasting oil (natural resources) with 3k OCI's.

4. Only recently, there are 5-30's with ACEA A3 (HT/HS of 3.5 or greater) in order to satisfy using thinner oil in high-revving/high-stress OHC engines driven at high speeds. eg. GC.

So, if you're going dino, stick with the well-documented, time-tested chart. Otherwise, if you're using a synthetic...use one that is A3 rated. I would recommend at least a 5-40 in your BMW. Should be good for 15k km OCI's.

Fire away
itschy.gif

I don't really know the exact factory OCI on my car because BMW use a computer system to count the OCI. The computer count the total amount of fuel injected to the engine in a certain period. If you drive more agressive, your OCI will be shorter. For me I don't really care about what the computer counting for and I change the oil every 10000km(6000miles). But if you believe in the computer, each green light takes arround 3000km(1800miles) to go off , five green lights, so for my own driving, the factory OCI should be arround 15000km(9300miles). I also think this OCI apply for all BMW worldwide unless they put different computer systems in different regions.

[ July 19, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: hungdynasty ]

OK. Here are my shots.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Euro-cars are usually built with a make-em-to-last mentality. Thin oils don't go along with this line of thinking. Nor does wasting oil (natural resources) with 3k OCI's.

I was under the impression that used oil is recycled.

quote:

2. 5-30 is OK for short OCI's...ie. the U.S. mantra of 3k OCI's in low-revving/low-stress pushrod engines driven at low speeds (US highways) in disposable-quality US cars.

4. Only recently, there are 5-30's with ACEA A3 (HT/HS of 3.5 or greater) in order to satisfy using thinner oil in high-revving/high-stress OHC engines driven at high speeds. eg. GC.

I've never seen any numbers for stress values of engine components. How much higher are they for OHC engines?
tongue.gif
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
I was under the impression that used oil is recycled.

[/QB]

I'd bet that the vast majority of used engine oil ends up getting burned in a waste oil furnace, either at the autoparts store, the garage, the dealership, or the local incinerator.

-Bret
who would absolutely love to have one of his own (wof).

Yes I've seen this before.

If I can safely use 20W-50 in my Ford 4.6/5.4 SOHC V8 above 0C, then heck... I should switch over right now. 5W-30 only in the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Yes I've seen this before.

If I can safely use 20W-50 in my Ford 4.6/5.4 SOHC V8 above 0C, then heck... I should switch over right now. 5W-30 only in the winter.

Why not do 10w40 year round. That's what I am doing in my F150 straight six. If you are in metro Detroit 10w40 will work year round. If you are in A2 or Flint, then you might need a 5w in winter.

Why not just use what the manufacture recommends in the owners manual and after a couple of hundred thousand miles when you are tire of driving the old car get a new one?

Why not drive it until it's no longer economically feasable to keep it repaired? That's what I do. Only way to really get your money's worth out of a car. When I get bored with it then I throw another couple hundred in improvements at it and no longer be bored for another 10k or so.

I think the US CAFE laws, which fine $$$ fairly severely any manufacturer not meeting the mandated fuel economy standard is driving this low viscosity game. A very slight increase in fuel economy over the whole fleet is significant and may let the manufacturer sell more high priced models.

Ford, for instance, failed CAFE repeatedly in the recent past, and none of the US car manufacturers make much, if any money on most of their cars. Trucks/SUVs (personal use) are king.

Hungdynasty. I think MikeR hit the nail
right on the head. Fuel economy is a big
issue here in North America. My 2000 328i
recommends a 0Wx,5Wx for all temps., with
x being a 30, 40 or 50 weight oil. It also
specifies you can use a 10w30,40,50 weight
oil for temps. above 5 or 10 deg. F or
-15 deg. celcius. I presently use a mixture
of 10w30/15w50 mobil 1 to give me a thicker
mixture. BMW used to have Valvoline make
their oil which was a 5w40. Now Castrol
North America makes for them and its 5w30.

quote:

I presently use a mixture
of 10w30/15w50 mobil 1 to give me a thicker
mixture. BMW used to have Valvoline make
their oil which was a 5w40. Now Castrol
North America makes for them and its 5w30.

2KBMW when I was in Toronto 10 years ago I drove a saturn and tried Castrol Syntec 5W50(probably a real synthetic at that time), perfect! No cold start problem in winter and very smooth engine running on hwy 401. Just can't unstand why Mobil1 doesn't make 5W50 in North America. Drivers like you and I don't really care about the

Hungdynasty. Mobil makes a 15w50 which
can be used in summer months. I just wish
their 10w30 oil was thicker. The BMW oil
which is made by Castrol is an A3 rated
thick 5w30. I don't understand why they
didn't go to a 5w40 spec like they used
to use.
dunno.gif
I am going to use a
heavy duty 0w40 oil this fall before I
put the car in storage. This oil should
be perfect to use for storage because of