Salvage vehicle purchase 2005 Lexus GX 470

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I was the high bidder on this 2005 Lexus GX 470. 138k miles. Motivation to purchase was it was a west coast vehicle it's entire life, and exclusively serviced by Lexus , with extensive preventitive maintenance records. The SUV was local, so I was able to do a brief pre purchase inspection. The interior not as clean as most dealer services luxury brand 🚜 clean, but ok.

Will pickup the SUV at lunch today. I have been watching these 470s, they have been commanding top dollar. I will make this my daily driver after repaired.

I didn't see any frame damage, but will dig deeper. Along with the great maintenance records, the four tires are brand new. Toyo tires, would have liked to see Michelin, but I can't find anything that needs maybe maintenance on this SUV. Just need to get the front end body correct.

vehicle_1.jpeg
vehicle_2.jpeg
vehicle_3.jpeg
vehicle_4.jpeg
vehicle_5.jpeg
vehicle_6.jpeg
vehicle_7.jpeg
vehicle_8.jpeg

Attachments

• vehicle_10.jpeg
    vehicle_10.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Wow… why was that totaled?!!?

Good luck with the repairs. I’d love a nice FJ80 personally. My brother has one. I’m sure your much newer one will be great!

Reactions: GON
Wow… why was that totaled?!!?

Good luck with the repairs. I’d love a nice FJ80 personally. My brother has one. I’m sure your much newer one will be great!
I find a lot of vehicles totaled that clearly should be, some that look ok and have hidden damage, and once in a blue moon where the appraiser just totaled to move into the next car

I saw a California GX 470 , 2009, flood vehicle, 93k miles, sell for over 12k last week. That is with a California salvage title. Out the door after auction fees about 14k.

That looks like a great find on your part.

From the pictures I am guessing that location is in South Hill on 110th Ave E. I drive by there frequently.

That honestly doesn't look bad and difficult to repair. I wonder why it was totaled out.

Maybe its the camera angle but the drivers side quarter panel and door panel look a little tighter than the passenger side. Maybe it's the angle but compare the panel gaps on both sides.

Looks repairable to me, from my computer screen.;)

I've never done an airbag before though. Seems to be clean and well maintained.

She runs, as expected. Very, very quiet. Needed a jump pack. The bumpber frame needs replacement, along with the radiator, hoot, bumber, headlights, and a few more things. So far so good.

I didn't know where my come a long was, so I used some ratchets straps to pull forward the front.
PXL_20230125_222925742.jpg
PXL_20230125_222055624.jpg
PXL_20230125_222018226.jpg
PXL_20230125_221407591.jpg
PXL_20230125_221427554.jpg
vehicle_4.jpeg

Now to sneak her off the trailer and into the garage hopefully without the HOA seeing me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230125_213939232.jpg
    PXL_20230125_213939232.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 51
I discovered that if the air bag went off, then insurances companies will usually total a vehicle that is even in the financial vicinity of totaled. Be wear of frame or sub frame damage in these cases. From my personal experience.

My MIL had a blueish gray 2005 when I met my wife in 2006. I liked it so much we got my wife a 2014. Does this have the folding seats in the 3rd row, if I remember correctly? I believe they had a locking center diff too? Looks like a lot of bolt-on stuff, hopefully no surprises. Ideally, you find one hit in the rear and can get all the front end parts and the airbag and seatbelt tensioner.

Looks like mostly bolt-on stuff to get it back on the road. Bumper cover, impact bar, hood, lights, core support, condenser, fan, maybe rad, air bag, seat belt rebuild if locked up, module reset.

• Helpful
Back