Salvage auction buyer fee takes a big jump for small buyers today.

Just happened to check the buy fees at Insurance Auto Auctions and noticed as of Feb 1, they are starting a two tiered fee system. If you bought less than 12 units the last 12 months, your buy fee goes up like 50% depending on the sale price. For example, on a $3,000 bid, a high volume buyer would pay a $400 fee and a low volume buyer, $600. PLUS an added $148 in BS fees for bidding online and having someone bring the car out for you. They are really sticking it to the small buyers. Checked the fees at Copart and they are doing the same thing and their fees pretty much mirror IAA. Any lawyers want to take on a price fixing or collusion case, this has that written all over it.

Why does it have lawsuit written all over it? Looks like a quantity discount.

Should I sue Home Depot because they give me a discount when I buy 12 tubes of caulk instead of one?

Look at the bright side....there is nothing but garbage on the auction sites 99.5% of the time.

You exaggerate. It's only like 99.0%. ;)

I have scoured the local one for eight or nine months; I have seen a few cars that were very good deals for a public buyer and I did buy one. But the fees are a shocker and you have to factor them in. I did get an email about the fee chance but hadn't examined it yet; thanks to the OP for the summary.

Reactions: CKN
That the two auction companies who probably have a 95+% lock on the salvage industry raised their prices at the same time for the same amount?

Sounds like what wallstreet is trying to do right now to individual stock traders.

Why does it have lawsuit written all over it? Looks like a quantity discount.

Should I sue Home Depot because they give me a discount when I buy 12 tubes of caulk instead of one?

I buy a lot of injector parts in the amounts I buy the price is much lower and the shipping is baked in.

I just looked at the fees, and for most buyers it does not really change from what I can see.

What appears to change is that volume gets you a substantial discount. But the basic fees a public or infrequent buyer pay don't seem to change much, if any.

Back