Salt-injected Beef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone gotten a batch of beef that tasted like it was puffed up with a heavy dose of brine? I know people are trying to save money, but tampering with the food supply is a no-no.

Then thats crazy. My borther worked at a grocery store in Red Deer and was packing some meat. It smelled rotten he got the manager and she removed some of the top pieces and then told him to wrap the rest for sale, the bottom pieces smelled just as bad. (I'm a busy so sorry about grammer and spelling)

The meats sold at stores always contain up to 15% brine. This applies to beef, pork and chicken. It keeps the meats tender and juicy.

Plus, it keeps the prices low (or profits high).

Years ago I worked at a meat processing plant and you probably would not eat roast beef after you save how they cooked, pumped and packaged it. The raw roast beef was bagged in a screen, dumped into a 500 gallon pot, brine and flavoring was added and then the whole thing was attached to a steam tumbler that cooked it under pressure and agitated it. When done the brine was poured off and the beef was hooked out and put on an assembly line to packing. It looked nasty, but is was cooked and tasted ok. The only problems we had was when the brine formula was incorrect. A funny one was when they did roast beef with the turkey brine formula, that was some weird tasting meat.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
Years ago I worked at a meat processing plant and you probably would not eat roast beef after you save how they cooked, pumped and packaged it. The raw roast beef was bagged in a screen, dumped into a 500 gallon pot, brine and flavoring was added and then the whole thing was attached to a steam tumbler that cooked it under pressure and agitated it. When done the brine was poured off and the beef was hooked out and put on an assembly line to packing. It looked nasty, but is was cooked and tasted ok. The only problems we had was when the brine formula was incorrect. A funny one was when they did roast beef with the turkey brine formula, that was some weird tasting meat.

So roast beef is not really roasted, but boiled instead?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

You keep asking questions PandaBear and you'll end up a vegetarian like my wife. She started asking questions just like the one you asked!

We had Morning Star sausage patties this morning that tasted just like the real things without the grease.

http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

You keep asking questions PandaBear and you'll end up a vegetarian like my wife. She started asking questions just like the one you asked!

We had Morning Star sausage patties this morning that tasted just like the real things without the grease.

http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/

Thanks for the link. Doc says I have 70 lbs to lose and I started eating healthier two days ago. So far, so good, but looking for a sausage, hamburger, hot dog replacement to along with the soy protein isolate, whey powder, soy oatmeal etc. that is causing me to become crazy already.

Off topic, but I tried brown rice for the first time today. Blech! That stuff is chewy and has a [censored] consistency.

This talk of roast beef is making my mouth water.
20.gif

Last edited:
Morning Star Farms make some of the best veggie/soy meat replacements. Wifey lives off the faux ground beef crumblers. I've got to admit the corn dogs had me fooled. I had no idea they weren't meat. The sausage links are my favorite. The spices are there without the grease. So much easier on my stomach.

If you are looking for a burger replacement the Boca brand are my favorite. They have a grilled version that to me works just like hamburger patties on the grill.

http://www.bocaburger.com/

As for brown rice, wifey lives off the stuff. She eats it with every meal almost. Myself I prefer Jasmine or regular ol' steamed rice.

I have found that brown rice goes very good with stewed tomatoes and salmon patties. I think wifey likes it mostly because of the glycemic index, something I vaguely understand.

I also enjoy brown rice with black-eyed peas and onion slices. You can substitute any bean of your choice. Navy and Great Northern go great also with brown rice.

As for brown rice, wifey lives off the stuff. She eats it with every meal almost. Myself I prefer Jasmine or regular ol' steamed rice.

I have found that brown rice goes very good with stewed tomatoes and salmon patties. I think wifey likes it mostly because of the glycemic index, something I vaguely understand.

I also enjoy brown rice with black-eyed peas and onion slices. You can substitute any bean of your choice. Navy and Great Northern go great also with brown rice.

Hi Camu,

I am eating the brown rice for its more unrefined and un-enriched credentials. I am really downing things with lots of fiber like 100% whole wheat bread with whole wheat four listed as its first ingredient, fiber pills, and steel cut oats instead of the standard Quaker ones.

As far as the Boca Burgers, I saw a review on them and others and the Bocas came out on top in the burger category. I will definitely try the corn dogs from Morning Star.

The major thing I have noticed since eating healthier is how much more money most of the stuff costs compared to processed foods or the 99 cent heart attack stuff.

I wish the soy meat patties and stuff weren't so expensive, but on the other hand, you can't place a price on preventing a heart attack when I hit my mid 40's-mid 50's.
48.gif

Brown rice goes rancid in about a year, unless it's one of the dark coloured varieties. If you buy it at a regular grocery store where most people buy white, it'll probably be bad. You can tell by the smell. Fresh, it has a good flavour. Takes 50% longer to cook than white.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Brown rice goes rancid in about a year, unless it's one of the dark coloured varieties. If you buy it at a regular grocery store where most people buy white, it'll probably be bad. You can tell by the smell. Fresh, it has a good flavour. Takes 50% longer to cook than white.

I put the uncooked rice, which smelled normal, in the freezer. I read that it can really slow down the process of it going rancid.

Next time I cook it I'll try to soak it in warm water for awhile before cooking.

tom: I'll try this basmati stuff you speak of.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Hi Camu,

I am eating the brown rice for its more unrefined and un-enriched credentials. I am really downing things with lots of fiber like 100% whole wheat bread with whole wheat four listed as its first ingredient, fiber pills, and steel cut oats instead of the standard Quaker ones.

As far as the Boca Burgers, I saw a review on them and others and the Bocas came out on top in the burger category. I will definitely try the corn dogs from Morning Star.

The major thing I have noticed since eating healthier is how much more money most of the stuff costs compared to processed foods or the 99 cent heart attack stuff.

I wish the soy meat patties and stuff weren't so expensive, but on the other hand, you can't place a price on preventing a heart attack when I hit my mid 40's-mid 50's.
48.gif

I wait until Boca burgers are 2/$6 at SafeWay. As in 2 packages or 4 for six bucks. Then I stock up.

Morning Star products are no more than the actual meat product at SafeWay.

When Wifey first started her new diet it was expensive, but for some reason lately it has been quite cheap. Dinner tonite was only 13 bucks. A lot less eating out too.

Ha... good one, I'm putting that in my signature.

basmatti has a better GI than normal long grain rice.

As to the original post...thanks, you've just cleared up something that's been bugging me for a while.

Turkey meat is down at present, while they speed up production of pressed breast rolls that heaps of people cook at Christmas.

But the meat "nutritional information" on packed turkey tenderloins says "turkey 94%, mineral salts, flavours" etc.

I thought that they'd stuffed up the label, now I know that they stuffed up the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back