Sale tax from out of state seller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have no Advance Auto Parts stores nor distribution/warehouse centers in the state of California, then why do they charge sale tax for shipping to California ? We have no chance to order online and pick up at local store, so that we have to pay shipping charge for orders less than $75, and we have to pay sale tax too. What is going on with AAP ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
We have no Advance Auto Parts stores nor distribution/warehouse centers in the state of California, then why do they charge sale tax for shipping to California ? We have no chance to order online and pick up at local store, so that we have to pay shipping charge for orders less than $75, and we have to pay sale tax too. What is going on with AAP ?

If they have an office in California, then by law they have to charge it. Dell charges sales tax when selling to CA as well.

Could be their corporate overlords (Parts America?) own a Cali chain as well.

I thought the tax laws changed in some states? I think IL did...you have to pay the sales tax regardless of where the company is.

I would guess this is more of a California thing than an AAP thing.

Illinois expects residents to pay "use tax" for out-of-state purchases. There's a separate form for our tax returns and everything.

NY actually did something smart the past few years. They let you base your use tax on your income. I think I have been paying about 30 dollars per year for use tax.. I'm someone who orders nearly everything online tax free.

Checker, Schuck's and Kragen(in CA) stores are part of O'Reilly Auto Parts, we don't have Checker and Schuck's. AAP is a part of O'Reilly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back