Salad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do Americans always turn something that should be really healthy into junk food? A "dinner salad" in my neck of the woods would consist of iceberg lettuce and a few token pieces of shredded carrot drowned in a fatty dressing like ranch. Nutritional value? Nil. (For our non-American friends ranch is a creamy buttermilk based dressing, very high in fat)

I try to eat a real salad every night, organic mixed baby greens with just a small hit of low fat dressing. I figure if you're gonna eat your vegetables, at least do it RIGHT.

I'm with you. I don't eat salad often enough, but when I do I'd rather have a healthy one. If I'm going to eat something that's not healthy, I'd rather have a burger, not a [censored] salad doused in ranch.

I actually can't remember the last time I had salad at a restaurant with any dressing on it at all. I usually just don't get any. Honestly I usually just don't get a salad though :)

Originally Posted By: rationull
Honestly I usually just don't get a salad though :)

Agreed.

Salad isn't a meal to me. It's a snack, a terrible one in fact. Salad fills me up for about an hour at most. What a terrible value.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
So, for how many hours do you expect to be full of it?

If it's a "real" meal, I expect it to keep me full for five to six hours. Otherwise, I feel as though I did not get my money's worth from that meal.

Last edited:
Monetarily speaking...
wink.gif

Good luck not becoming a blimp by age 40.

Too bad you can't get a salad in the "proper" sense of that when you eat out. Iceberg is a worthless lettuce, I call that stuff Burger King lettuce with my mom. I prefer balsamic/EVOO on my salads as dressing.

Thankfully, I live in a culinary dreamland called the Bay Area. Living in a liberal hellhole has its pluses, food being the best one of them.

The typical salad isn't all that great without enough dressing imo. Japanese salads are really good and healthy, they use a fat-free dressing.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
The typical salad isn't all that great without enough dressing imo. Japanese salads are really good and healthy, they use a fat-free dressing.

Who keeps you from making your own salad or own dressing?

Most Japanese salad dressing are not fat-free, and neither should they. Vitamin absorption, for example in the case of pro-vitamin A and other fat soluble vitamins, is aided by some fat.

That so many people think some lettuce with a cup of Thousand Island over it is just sad.

I don't think I've bought a commercial salad dressing in years. I make them all from scratch as I want them. Easy to do, fresh, and I can vary the ingredients.

I don't think I've bought a commercial salad dressing in years. I make them all from scratch as I want them. Easy to do, fresh, and I can vary the ingredients.

You have too much time on your hands.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Your priorities are all FUBAR.
grin2.gif

If you ever happen to take out a girl for dinner, make sure to fill her up as cheaply and as efficiently as you can!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Your priorities are all FUBARED.
grin2.gif

If you ever happen to take out a girl for dinner, make sure to fill her up as cheaply and as efficiently as you can!
wink.gif

My date on Wednesday is at El Pollo Loco since I have a coupon.
wink.gif

I don't get the criticism of "American" salads........to be honest in the USA you can have a choice of a HUGE range of salads....many restaurants do have salad bars (mori contamination is an issue)....but they have a huge variety of greens in two sections of all markets, let alone local stuff.

Oh yeah and how hard is mixing some balsamic with EVOO, pepper and a little mustard?

Japanese "salad"? - does tsukemono count?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I don't get the criticism of "American" salads........to be honest in the USA you can have a choice of a HUGE range of salads....many restaurants do have salad bars (mori contamination is an issue)....but they have a huge variety of greens in two sections of all markets, let alone local stuff.

Oh yeah and how hard is mixing some balsamic with EVOO, pepper and a little mustard?

Japanese "salad"? - does tsukemono count?
grin2.gif

It's just lazy slouches complaining about inadequate salad being served in the equivalent of a clear coffin (See cheese in body bags).
grin2.gif

My favorite Japanese salad dressing is carrot salad dressing. Made with shredded carrot, mirin, vinegar, sesame oil and seed, soy sauce, and grated ginger. Yeah, I don't have to buy it. I have everything to make it in my kitchen. It will hold up a couple weeks in a bottle.
wink.gif

iceburg lettuse is a waste, just a carrier for dressing. I prefer spinach leaves, some radishes, red onions, black olives, hard boiled eggs, sprouts, a couple cherry tomatoes, and a drizzle of blue cheese. don't like ranch dressing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back