Said to have been the first automobile in Volga, South Dakota.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Mr. Cary W. Smith in front of his office in Volga, South Dakota in his 1906 Crestmobile automobile. Said to have been the first automobile in Volga, South Dakota.
290519152_520067359904416_2306194120706026455_n.jpg

I wonder if the steering wheel being on the right side says something about the source of the car's design.
English 'blueprints' brought over here?
Steering wheel on the left not established as a custom in this country yet?

Some, not all or even most, early cars in the US had the steering wheel on the right. Supposedly this was so the driver could see the edge of the road back when most roads were crappy anyway. By 1910 or so this was dying out in favor of universal left-hand drive.

Some Scandinavian countries drove on the left side of the road as in Britain until the 1960s, but left-hand drive in vehicles was already the norm there for the same reason, being able to see the edge of the road in bad weather.

interestingly enough my son and his GF got a ride in a 1911 Buick last night. He shared pictures of the car and the steering wheel was on the right hand side in that photo as well. I thought weird at the time but maybe it was a thing on early automobiles...

just my $0.02

Reactions: GON
I love the grades of lube mentioned in measurman's 1906 ad (#10), "light, medium and heavy". I betcha it smelled.

Using first initials helped reduce telegraph fees.

• Wow
I love the grades of lube mentioned in measurman's 1906 ad (#10), "light, medium and heavy". I betcha it smelled.

Using first initials helped reduce telegraph fees.
Thick vs Thin ... even in 1906. 😄

I've been through Volga many times as a kid fun to see it mentioned here I've not heard of it in near forever.

Back