Safety Third....

Here's a cheap 2-post failure. Zooming in more on @clinebarger 's photo makes it look like ALL arms are sagging and I also imagine the entire thing has been overloaded, likely repeatedly

I've posted this before but this whole vid is only ~4:00 long and fun carnage if you like seeing equipment failure

I dont like above ground lifts to start with having used in grounds my whole life. Thta lift is just plain wore out and You wouldnt find me under it

I wonder how many of those 2-post lifts are correctly anchored into the floor/foundation. I've seen where they had to pour a thicker floor/foundation for them, and that seems like a step that might be skipped because it's too much work and expense...

I wonder how many of those 2-post lifts are correctly anchored into the floor/foundation. I've seen where they had to pour a thicker floor/foundation for them, and that seems like a step that might be skipped because it's too much work and expense...

Most pro installers will drill the concrete to verify it's thickness before installing a surface mount lift.

I dont like above ground lifts to start with having used in grounds my whole life. That lift is just plain wore out and You wouldnt find me under it

In ground lifts have their own set of issues, I've seen more than one need the concrete cut & jack hammered out to repair it. Today that could easily eclipse the cost of a new surface mount lift.

I seriously considered In Ground while building my shop as I realize the benefits with no posts cluttering things up, But it's seems cost prohibitive on new construction.

In ground lifts have their own set of issues, I've seen more than one need the concrete cut & jack hammered out to repair it. Today that could easily eclipse the cost of a new surface mount lift.

The last place I saw an in-ground lift in use was in the auto service department of a Montgomery Wards. Which ought to tell you how long ago that was...

As for the Rack, i think it's been overworked for a long time, I'm shocked that someone would see that as a non issue. Probably never seen a car fall off a rack. I bet whatever locking mechanism is on the arm doesn't work either...

No arm locking mechanisms on older lifts, I believe Rotary pioneered arm locks? And the industry was slow to adopt it.

The last place I saw an in-ground lift in use was in the auto service department of a Montgomery Wards. Which ought to tell you how long ago that was...

They're still sold, I had a quote for 2 new Rotary in grounds before building my shop. I've worked at several shops that had in ground lifts of varying age. They're superior in about every way 'till you have to either buy/install one or have one repaired.

No arm locking mechanisms on older lifts, I believe Rotary pioneered arm locks? And the industry was slow to adopt it.
I was told by a former tech even carriage locks used to not exist? He told me of a lift that leaked down overnight with a vehicle on it and crushed a co-worker's box.

Or perhaps the locks were simply damaged or inoperable if they've always been around? Or maybe you used to have to manually engage them?

I haven't personally seen a hydraulic equalization (cable/chain) type lift not have carriage locks, Though I have seen some Screw Drive lifts not have locks. It's rare to even find a functional Screw Drive lift today as the Nut part of the drive is sacrificial (I believe they're made of bronze or a Alloy similar to bronze).

Reactions: D60
Back