Safety Third....

Was at the local Inspection Station this past week having a customers SUV inspected, They have a very old 2-post lift that they rarely ever use (Been going here for years). He's been renting the bay to a "mechanic" for the past couple weeks, When I saw this GM 1500 pick-up on this lift my jaw dropped! Told the owner that if a vehicle falls off & injures or kills someone.....He could be liable & to either fix, remove , Or replace the lift! He didn't seem too concerned.

A6NdWSC.jpg

That's a crazy amount of deflection in those arms! Wonder what the hoist capacity is? Super cheap Chinese lift?

Looks like he was using the two landing points on one side, but only one point on the other if I am seeing correctly. Strange and not good.

It’s hard to tell exactly where the arms are placed. Either the lift sits uneven, wrong spacers used on one side or just cheap or worn out lift or something. But I know one thing is I would not be under that or near that. If you have ever been in a shop when a car falls off a lift you don’t want to ever hear that noise again.

Not surprised at the lack of concern of this serious safety hazard.

Only an accident, death, or big lawsuit would change their views on safety.

Not surprised at the lack of concern of this serious safety hazard.

Only an accident, death, or big lawsuit would change their views on safety.
It would be nice to believe this and I'm not arguing with you, but I'm with @Wheel ..... anyone who is this far gone only learns once they're dead, at which point there's no more learning to do because of the whole dead thing and all....

Shop owners who allow this still won't learn even if they have to file bankruptcy. It'll always be someone else's fault in their minds.

It’s hard to tell exactly where the arms are placed. Either the lift sits uneven, wrong spacers used on one side or just cheap or worn out lift or something. But I know one thing is I would not be under that or near that. If you have ever been in a shop when a car falls off a lift you don’t want to ever hear that noise again.
It doesn't matter where the arms are placed or how the lift is loaded. If you zoom in even a little that rear arm is NOWHERE near parallel to the front one and VERY CLEARLY bent (or perhaps more specifically the hinge pin or carriage is bent, but it matters not)

Typically a, say, 10k lift is rated for 2500 per arm, so they've reduced the capacity by 50% on the left side, balance issues not withstanding. I realize this is probably more like a 7k lift but I chose 10 for easy math.

Upon further inspection it is sooooo fitting that this shop also has the plastic Rhino Ramps o' death propped against the lift.

I know some people swear by those things but I owned a pair for 5 minutes before they scared the crap out of me with cracking noises and stressed plastic turned milky-white to the eye (edit: on flat concrete in my shop)

Those plastic ramps are missing the support ribs inside. Or maybe they never had them? Look how they are "nested" together. You cannot do that with the Rhino Ramps from 25 years ago.

Those plastic ramps are missing the support ribs inside. Or maybe they never had them? Look how they are "nested" together. You cannot do that with the Rhino Ramps from 25 years ago.

Those are new Rhino ramps, they do have support but they are designed to nest together that's why the recesses in the surface. Jury is out on the new one but i love my old ones.

As for the Rack, i think it's been overworked for a long time, I'm shocked that someone would see that as a non issue. Probably never seen a car fall off a rack. I bet whatever locking mechanism is on the arm doesn't work either...

Back